SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   Annoying chat menu on smartphone - how to disable it? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/89609-annoying-chat-menu-smartphone-how-disable.html)

MarkSF 07-12-2012 02:52 PM

Annoying chat menu on smartphone - how to disable it?

Every time I open Sailnet on my smartphone, the Chat menu sits right in the middle of the screen and obscures the "gear and maintenance" heading.

On my PC, it stays in the lower right-hand corner.

How do I disable it? Better still, how do I disable it permanently?

Do the people who run Sailnet care that people are leaving the forum for other sailing fora, because of this ill-thought-through feature?

SEMIJim 07-12-2012 03:03 PM

Re: Annoying chat menu on smartphone - how to disable it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 895650)
Every time I open Sailnet on my smartphone, the Chat menu ...

Yeah, that thing, while not quite as ill-placed on my 'droid tablet, does take up valuable, scarce real estate. In fact: On my tablet, all the SN annoyances of old come back, because I don't have the blocking plug-ins and so-on like I do on my full-fledged browsers. Slow, agonizingly slow page loads, mainly. Sometimes page loads just plain hang the tablet, forcing me to reboot it. That is not SN's fault. That's crap 'droid/'droid app coding. But SN is one of the sites that triggers that bad behaviour more than others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 895650)
Do the people who run Sailnet care that people are leaving the forum for other sailing fora, because of this ill-thought-through feature?

Are they? Yours is the first such complaint I've seen. And, if the chat status garbage is to be believed, SN users are using the chat thing. But, yeah, I'm tending to go elsewhere on my tablet, now.

Jim

MarkSF 07-12-2012 04:02 PM

Yes, I saw 2 threads recently on Cruiser's forum by people who had left Sailnet, partly because of the chat feature.

leogallant 07-12-2012 06:03 PM

Annoying chat menu on smartphone - how to disable it?

I use the app both on my iPad and droid phone with no problems. Maybe the app works better than trying to use the browser version?

boatsail1 07-15-2012 12:51 PM

I am a new member and have noticed the Chat stuff problem. Poor planning or what?

-OvO- 07-15-2012 02:49 PM

If you can disable javascript in the tablet browser, the chat stuff will go away.
If you can't, maybe you can find/configure a proxy that will filter it out for you.

sww914 07-18-2012 05:06 AM

I'm not digging the chat BS either.

sww914 07-18-2012 05:09 AM

Open the XX# of people on this site chatting window, click on the little gear thingy in the upper R corner, and click turn off. Who knows if it will stay gone?

Maine Sail 07-18-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leogallant (Post 895699)
I use the app both on my iPad and droid phone with no problems. Maybe the app works better than trying to use the browser version?

I tried the app and really did not like it. I much prefer the full featured web version even on my phone.

I too would like a way to permanently turn off the chat feature in my User CP... Please let us turn this screen robbing feature off..

Typing on an iPad right now and it is taking up a good portion of my dialogue box...

GraemeInCanada 07-20-2012 01:04 AM

It seems it can never be turned of permanently no matter how many times you set it "off". I hate it with a passion myself and use adblock to remove it completely. That approach doesn't work on a tablet or phone though and I have definitely reduced my posting and visits because of it. There should be an option (very visible and prominent) to remove it completely and never ever have it come back.