SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   Washing machines on board (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/93340-washing-machines-board.html)

LadyB 10-22-2012 04:40 AM

Washing machines on board

Please help! We have just bought a yacht with a washing machine installed. Do you think we will need it? We plan to cruise around the world for the next 2-3 yrs. I don't want to be environmentally unfriendly by running a machine. We don't have a water maker as yet so maybe the machine will use too much water. Many questions! Please help if you can! Thanks.

Minnewaska 10-22-2012 07:13 AM

Re: Washing machines on board

We love ours and we only do coastal cruising. Being able to do laundry, allows you to have less stuff aboard. If going around the world, I would not want to be without it, but they are not energy efficient, for the small amount they wash, and that could be an issue. There are plenty of alternatives to do hand washing aboard.

They work best with easy dry clothing, just as hand washing does. You are definitely going to want a watermaker anyway, with or without a washer, to cruise around the world, so water should not be the primary concern. The washer uses a few gallons to wash, but the un-vented models use even more to dry. They operate by heating the drum and causing condensation, which is then rinsed away. Drying takes forever. Many don't bother and just hang dry.

If you are going to be living at anchor during your cruise, the bigger issue may be the power requirements. They run on 110v, so you'll need to run the genset to do laundry. I would have to look up the load, but it must be quite a bit for a house bank and invertor. You could perhaps do laundry only when on shore power.

Zanshin 10-22-2012 07:19 AM

I can't agree more with Minnewaska. Now that I have a washing machine aboard I no longer have to detour to anchorages with marinas that have washing machines. I no longer need to spend hours in dank places waiting for the laundry cycle to finish. I can change to fresh sheets and towels much more often and don't have to worry about dropping all of my clean laundry overboard on the dinghy.

Washing machines use surprisingly little water (they are cleaner and more environmentally friendly than doing laundry in a bucket aboard), but do need quite a bit of power.

LadyB 10-22-2012 07:22 AM

Thank you so much!

Rob date 10-27-2012 07:42 PM

Hi All,
I am thinking of doing the Capetown to Rio race in Jan 2014. But I will have a 40 ft container of gear that I need to follow the boat so we can disassemble her and road freight to St.Barths. Am I loosing my mind here, should I just sail her up and cope with the ware and tare. It's probably 15+ days or difficult sailing. I have not looked at the prevailing winds in that part of the world in Feb.

hellosailor 10-27-2012 09:30 PM

Rob, this thread is about washing machines. Perhaps you meant to post your reply to another thread?

lostsheep 11-02-2012 01:07 AM

You might try this little gizmo.....
I remember seeing it on the one-eyed diode once, and thought it was a neat idea . if it worked. Apparently, it does! At least according to the news gal that tested it.

.laundry-alternative.com/products/Wonderwash

The blasted '10 post count' nazi won't let me post the url, so add the dubya-dubya-duba to the front.....