SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   Fogged over plastic panels (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/94813-fogged-over-plastic-panels.html)

halequigley 12-09-2012 11:40 AM

Fogged over plastic panels

Is there any home remedy to clear up plastic panels on dodgers?

Hale

Zanshin 12-10-2012 06:03 AM

Re: Fogged over plastic panels

I use the Macguires compounds and don't know if a single home-made remedy will suffice, since the first compound contains mild solvents and abrasives and the second then has the oils and compounds to fill in and un-fog the plastic.

Is your dodger scratched or only fogged?

Minnewaska 12-10-2012 08:52 AM

It depends a bit on what your panels are made from. For Eisenglas, you can buff with 210 Plus, but I'm told you will ruin Strataglass, if you do so. From the sounds of it, you probably can't really ruin it any more than it already is. I would probably give it a shot, knowing that replacing the glass was my fallback.

I've hand buffed with the stuff, which requires some work, but I'm told one can use a power buffer for good results.

tschmidty 12-10-2012 11:49 AM

And I will just chime in and say that polishing should remove the fogging but it will tend to come back pretty quick. After polishing it it's a good idea to use a good uv protectant like 303 which will help prevent that.

halequigley 12-12-2012 01:06 PM

Thanks for the feed back. I bought some Mageires Plastix and will give it a whir.

Hale

DivingOtter 03-04-2013 04:15 PM

If its Lexan use toothpaste. The toothpaste acts as an abrasive without further scratching but will clean it up nicely. It did on my boat anyway, as well as my dive hats..

chuck53 03-04-2013 04:57 PM

OK guys, different plastic, same problem. The headlight lenses on my car are very cloudy. What do you suggest I use to clean them up? It's a 10 year old car.

Classic30 03-04-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck53 (Post 998373)
OK guys, different plastic, same problem. The headlight lenses on my car are very cloudy. What do you suggest I use to clean them up? It's a 10 year old car.

How about... Your credit card at an Auto Parts store? :D

jimgo 03-04-2013 11:09 PM

Harbor Freight Tools sells a set for polishing your headlights. There's also some very fine sandpaper made by a company called Micromesh. Their paper was designed for polishing airplane cockpit windows.

deltaten 03-07-2013 11:06 PM

Meguire's also makes a plexi polish for MC windscreens and such. Always worked on mine and I sed it as final on the headlamp covers on the auto after successively finer white compound.