SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   "Rep" power... what is it? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/97887-rep-power-what.html)

flandria 03-26-2013 09:23 AM

"Rep" power... what is it?

I notice, now that I have just posted a 50th post, that my rep power has gone from 0 to 1. My breast swells with pride, but I have no idea what it means or what use this promotion/upgrade is to me or anyone. Tried to search "rep power" without success. Just curious. Thx.

DRFerron 03-26-2013 10:20 AM

Re: "Rep" power... what is it?

Rep power is a feature of the forum that is no longer used. As it works now, you advance one for each year you are a member.

It has been replaced by the "Like" button for the most part.

svHyLyte 03-26-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 1007994)
Rep power is a feature of the forum that is no longer used. As it works now, you advance one for each year you are a member.

It has been replaced by the "Like" button for the most part.

Donna...

As a matter of balance, should there not also be a "Dislike" button for voting on objectionable posts? The ratio of likes to dislikes would be more meaningful measure no? Kinda like a batting average?

DRFerron 03-26-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 1008034)
Donna...

As a matter of balance, should there not also be a "Dislike" button for voting on objectionable posts? The ratio of likes to dislikes would be more meaningful measure no? Kinda like a batting average?

That would make for an even more interesting atmosphere around here.

Or have a thumbs up and a thumbs down and a count next to each?

Absent that, the moderators encourage everyone to make use of the Report Post button if a post is found to be objectionable. We do take note of the people who end up with a lot of reported posts and keep an eye on them.

svHyLyte 03-26-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 1008044)
...the moderators encourage everyone to make use of the Report Post button if a post is found to be objectionable. We do take note of the people who end up with a lot of reported posts and keep an eye on them.

Nah. Sometimes ya' need to call the cops but most of the time ya' just need to award a strong raspberry, Non?

Faster 03-26-2013 01:26 PM

You can still 'add' rep to a user if you choose.. there's a 'scale' icon on the top of each post.. click on that and you can give the poster a specific 'attaboy' and eventually you'll build up rep points (visible in your userCP) and up your rep number. As Donna said, no one uses that anymore since 'likes' were implimented.

In the olden days of the "rep" system you had the option to give a user a 'negative' rep point - essentially a 'dislike'. That feature created a lot of grief and strife and the rep system went to a 'positive' reinforcement model at that time, much like the current 'like' system.

msmith10 03-29-2013 10:34 PM

I believe there is already a pretty potent system for negative reinforcement in place. Being on the receiving end of some of the retorts is not a pleasant experience.

jimgo 03-29-2013 10:56 PM

Mark,
It is funny, though, how being around forums like this tends to help me in daily interactions with people. I've learned how to filter out the nasty, snarky, snide comments and focus on the constructive criticism and the positive comments.

FWIW, I like the "like" idea.

FSMike 03-29-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1009788)
Mark,
It is funny, though, how being around forums like this tends to help me in daily interactions with people. I've learned how to filter out the nasty, snarky, snide comments and focus on the constructive criticism and the positive comments.
----

I used to work with someone who had cards printed up that read:

"Your sincere criticism is deeply appreciated.
F*** you very much."

He only gave them to certain individuals.

jimgo 03-31-2013 03:09 PM

Mike, apparently you were one of the recipients?

(kidding!)