SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   San Fran Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/san-fran-bay/)
-   -   Stockton, Ca. to Oakland, Ca. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/san-fran-bay/70874-stockton-ca-oakland-ca.html)

seanrobsar 12-26-2010 06:28 AM

Stockton, Ca. to Oakland, Ca.

Hello all. I am moving a new to me C & C 24 from Stockton to Oakland. Has any one made the trip? I was thinking of spliting it into two. Mabe Stockton to Martinez or Pittsburg. Then continue the next day to Oakland estuary. Any info would help. Times? Best path through bay? I was thinking follow tide out then make for oakland at about slack tide. Any Ideas would be great!

Thanks
Rob

dabnis 12-26-2010 09:16 AM

I made a similar trip, Rio Vista to Sausalito, many years ago. I think
your route will take two full days depending on the tides. Suggest you
overnight in an enclosed marina rather than anchoring out. Martinez
or Pittsburg sounds about right for a stopping point. You will probably
be under power most of the way as winds can be on the light side
this time of year unless a storm is coming in. If it does blow it will
likely be against you until you are well south of at least Red Rock.

Dabnis

SlowButSteady 12-26-2010 12:01 PM

Years ago, I did some fisheries survey work in the Bay/Delta region; mostly on a 42' trawler. We sampled from Big Break and Rio Vista, downstream throughout the rest of the Delta and Bay.

A few points to think about (that may all be obvious, anyway):
- this time of year it's often easier to make such a trip than it is during the summer (those afternoon Delta "breezes" can make westward progress almost impossible);

- if you do get a stiff west wind, you might as well find a harbor (or anchor in a side slough) -- if there's an ebb tide set against the wind, the steep wave faces will pound the Bejeezus out of you and your boat -- if you have a flood tide working with the wind, you probably won't make any progress anyway;

- there are plenty of hide-e-holes in side sloughs, behind little islands, et cetera; take a good anchor and a rode with a couple of boat lengths of chain, in case you have to wait out any bad weather;

- the bottom is ever-changing, DON'T trust your charts in areas with any hint of shoaling -- particularly the area around the Sacramento/San Joaquin convergence (but, really anywhere);

- Once you get down into the Bay (below Vallejo), the tide shouldn't be nearly the problem that it is in the Delta/Suisun Bay/Carquinez Straight; between Antioch and Mare Island is the area you'll have to deal with tides the most (basically, that part of the trip where you'll be using the Suisun Bay chart).

dabnis 12-26-2010 01:04 PM

Slowbutsteady makes some good points about opposing tides and wind although
at this time of year the wind generally isn't too much of a problem. We made
our trip in the summer, lots of wind, always against us. We decided to
anchor in the lee of Seal Island, I think. Really a dumb idea as it did not provide any shelter. In the middle of the night the tide changed direction
and the anchor line wrapped around the rudder which resulted in being stern
to a 3 to 4 foot steep chop trying to come over the transom, a real
un-organized fire drill. Somehow we got it all untangled and found a
small slough for shelter. Hence, my suggestion to stay in an enclosed
marina. If you stay basically in the channel or close to the sides you
should be OK, but keep a CONSTANT watch for commercial traffic, they
will close on you faster than you can imagine. Here is a link to NOAA charts
which you should follow closely.
Chart 18652a

Dabnis

dabnis 12-27-2010 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=dabnis;680610]Slowbutsteady makes some good points about opposing tides and wind although
at this time of year the wind generally isn't too much of a problem. We made
our trip in the summer, lots of wind, always against us. We decided to
anchor in the lee of Seal Island, I think. Really a dumb idea as it did not provide any shelter. In the middle of the night the tide changed direction
and the anchor line wrapped around the rudder which resulted in being stern
to a 3 to 4 foot steep chop trying to come over the transom, a real
un-organized fire drill. Somehow we got it all untangled and found a
small slough for shelter. Hence, my suggestion to stay in an enclosed
marina. If you stay basically in the channel or close to the sides you
should be OK, but keep a CONSTANT watch for commercial traffic, they
will close on you faster than you can imagine. Here is a link to NOAA charts
which you should follow closely.
Chart 18652a

I should have said: Keep a CONSTANT watch BEHIND you------

Dabnis

nop 12-27-2010 08:55 PM

We usually stay overnight in Benicia and have dinner at the Benicia Yacht Club.

You'll want to be careful passing Port Chicago. If there's a military vessel in port when you go by, the Coast Guard will enforce an exclusion zone which will run you aground if you're not careful. (I wasn't careful the first time through.)

The wind against the tide thing is no joke here. This summer we made better time going against the tide than with it.

seanrobsar 12-27-2010 09:20 PM

Thanks To Everyone!!!

I really appreciate all the input! Itís been a few years since I had a boat and you good people reminded me of some things I had forgotten. So the current plan is to make for Martinez marina and complete the trip the next day or even the next week. I will motor to Martinez and probably till we get into the bay proper. Then depending on winds and so on hopefully we will get a chance to let them fly. I will keep a watchful eye out for ship traffic. I use to sail out of Antioch marina all the time. My last boat, a Neptune 24 was moored there. Once again I am reminded of the kindness of strangers and fellow sailors. Thanks again and have a Happy New Year!

I wish you all Good winds and Following Seas.

Rob

dabnis 12-28-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanrobsar (Post 680938)
I really appreciate all the input! Itís been a few years since I had a boat and you good people reminded me of some things I had forgotten. So the current plan is to make for Martinez marina and complete the trip the next day or even the next week. I will motor to Martinez and probably till we get into the bay proper. Then depending on winds and so on hopefully we will get a chance to let them fly. I will keep a watchful eye out for ship traffic. I use to sail out of Antioch marina all the time. My last boat, a Neptune 24 was moored there. Once again I am reminded of the kindness of strangers and fellow sailors. Thanks again and have a Happy New Year!

I wish you all Good winds and Following Seas.

Rob

Sean,

You are welcome. Let us know how it went, can always learn
from others. Hope you have a good uneventful trip.

Dabnis

RandyonR3 09-24-2012 08:41 PM

Re: Stockton, Ca. to Oakland, Ca.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nop (Post 680928)
We usually stay overnight in Benicia and have dinner at the Benicia Yacht Club.

You'll want to be careful passing Port Chicago. If there's a military vessel in port when you go by, the Coast Guard will enforce an exclusion zone which will run you aground if you're not careful. (I wasn't careful the first time through.)

Awhile back While passing Port Chicago, they were loading a ship and the security police in their little power boats with 50s on the front came over and ordered me to move to the outer channel... my reply to them , over the radio was to come aboard themselves and take command of my boat, and they could be responsible for running aground as I draw 8,6.. they ordered me again and again I told them to take charge of my vessel..
it was then that an older gentlemans voice came on the radio and said, just hold your course and pass throu..
remember you dont have to follow there commands if it will put you or your boat in harms way.. be polite and ask them to take charge..

I've had the same issue while traveling south just out of Channel Islands marina area past the military base.. was told over the radio that I was in a restricted area and to leave. just asked for a "most direct heading" out of the area and they gave it to me without any questions asked..