Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Seafarer
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013

lizzysway is on a distinguished road
1977 Seafarer 22

Hello everyone, I am not sure if this is an active forum anymore or who posts on it still, but I have recently acquired one of these beauties. She was in horrible shape when I found her and the dockmaster simply gave her to me. Being my first boat ever, I had a lot to learn and am still learning a lot, hence the search for forums. Since I have owned her, 3 months ago, I have hauled her out, painted her underside, bondo'd some rough spots, popped a few blisters and dried them out then epoxied them, replaced the rub rail, cleaned her topside and above the waterline. I have added an 8.0 HP Suzuki Sailmaster, replaced all of her running rigging, replaced the forestay and parts to the shrouds, replaced all masthead blocks and done some major work on the boom. I have installed a bilge pump system and restored the sink and electrical and interior/exterior lights. I have cleaned out the inside and redone the cockpit hatches and latches. I have replaced all the windows and caulking and front hatch sealants. New anchor and rope, the sails were already in good condition, and she now has starboard and wood seating areas in the cabin. The tiller needs to be replaced and perhaps the bearings around the shaft of the rudder need a little replacing as well at some point. The biggest thing right now is the need for a cabin hatch. She has none and she has no weatherboarding. I can upload before's and after's if anyone is interested, but I wasn't going to go through that if this was a dead forum. Thank you to all who have gone through and read all of this. Sorry if I am boring anyone. I have some more ideas for electrical components I want to add but I would like input before I purchase if possible. Garmin or Something else? Do I need a secondary GPS other than iNavX on both my wife's and my iPhone 5. We have lifeproof cases and the flotation devices attached. I want to see the bottom with a fishfinder, and I would like something that won't get kicked or be in the way when running around on deck, so I looked into in-dash pieces... expensive! Any ideas would be great, any pictures of systems you have installed would be even better! Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2013
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road
Re: 1977 Seafarer 22

On my 29 I was able to make new companionway boards. I also made new slides for them out of a (plastic) wood from Home Depot. No biggie.

On my 22 there is a cutout for a depth gauge transducer on the starboard side next to the porta potty.

My depth finder is mounted on the left side of companionway. I think mine was factory.

I bought a Hummingbird fish finder combo and mounted it on the right side of the companionway. I put mine under a 4" deck plate to keep it out of the weather and grabby hands.

Yes, two different Seafarers. A 79 22' HP Futura, and a 29' KCB.

Also try the Seafarer Research Center for info.
Old 11-18-2013

lizzysway is on a distinguished road

When I first found out what the ship was I ran across the Research Center and got most my info from there. Learned A LOT about the boat. I have done a ton of work but I am still working on hooking up the VHF and Depth Finder. I want to do an in-hull transducer and then a masthead antenna for the VHF. IS it okay to run the VHF antenna cable through the inside of the mast? I want to know how I should appropriately seal the holes I drill. I have an 8 HP Suzuki Sail Master. I have a small rip in my genoa though. What can I do about that?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road

You can darn a rip. A good Zig-Zag sewing machine makes it easy. However hand doing is fine. Yes the antenna wires can go thru the mast.