Change Out Tiller for Wheel & Binnacle - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-09-2017 Thread Starter

Change Out Tiller for Wheel & Binnacle

The boat is a 1979 26' with tiller. Would an aftermarket be made for it or even from another maker?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-09-2017

Re: Change Out Tiller for Wheel & Binnacle

I know that some of these boats have a tee cockpit and were equipped from the factory with wheel steering, but I would suggest that it would be an awful mistake to put wheel steering on this boat.

My recollection of the tiller steered Seafarer 26 is that the boat had a light and responsive helm and that the tiller put the helmsman in a good position to see the sails and make adjustments to the bridge mounted traveler and coaming mounted jib sheets. And while you can probably buy a system from Edson steering, who probably would have made the original wheel steering systems for these boats, the cost to by the system, modify the rudder post, beef up guide pulley mounting points etc. would greatly exceed the fair market price of the entire boat.

I guess my question to you would be, what is it that you are trying to accomplish by converting your boat to wheel steering.

Jeff
baywater and Jim_W like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #3 of 20 Old 01-09-2017 Thread Starter

To be able to sit aft amidships. I don't own the boat but I am considering buying it. The responsive helm seems to be a significant positive attribute with this Seafarer.

post #4 of 20 Old 01-09-2017

When you can flip the tiller up and have a clear open living room (where you will be hanging out), life is sweet.
No need to mount a large floor lamp to take up space...
You'll have less open space, add weaker links to the chain...and you'll spend a bunch of $...and that's if it's done right.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-09-2017

About all you will accomplish in my opinion is making it look like you are unhappy with your boat and would like something bigger. I sail a 26 foot and can not think of any good reason to have wheel steering. Wheels are installed to give mechanical advantage...this is not required on small vessels.

Paul in Nanaimo
The Following User Says Thank You to paulinnanaimo For This Useful Post:
olson34 (01-09-2017)
post #6 of 20 Old 01-09-2017 Thread Starter

Nope, not going to be unhappy with any decision on the tiller or wheel.
The first mate will only see a very pleased skipper!
post #7 of 20 Old 01-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raider View Post
To be able to sit aft amidships. I don't own the boat but I am considering buying it. The responsive helm seems to be a significant positive attribute with this Seafarer.
I am not sure in what sense you are using the term 'amidships' (i.e. traditional half way between the bow and the stern. Or do you mean on the transverse centerline of the boat.) If in the traditional sense, a tiller will move you closer to half way between the bow and the stern so you will be better able to see your sail trim. If you mean the transverse centerline of the boat, that is only good for motoring. Ideally, you will want a tiller extension which puts you outboard so you can see better and better reach the controls.

But anyway, as others (and I0 have suggested, it does not make any sense to put a wheel on a 26 footer.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #8 of 20 Old 01-09-2017

You wouldn't be changing out a tiller for a wheel. You'd be adding a wheel and would have your tiller stowed somewhere as a back up. Preferring a wheel/binnacle over a tiller in smaller vessels is a personal preference, albeit a pretty unpopular one it seems. It's a preference I have none the less. Despite some 12 years sailing various vessels both tiller and wheel, pointing a stick in opposite direction of where I want to go just never sat well with me, nor do I see any of the advantages people purport a tiller to have over a wheel other than space while parked at the dock.

My boat is 25' and had dealer installed wheel steering when it was sold new. Yes it is obtrusive while sitting at the dock but the wheel can be removed in less than a minute freeing up much more space. Also it is not as near as obtrusive (at least to other crew in the cockpit) as a tiller while sailing IMO and I bought the boat to sail, not sit at the dock. In addition to being my preferred method of steering it also currently gives me a place to mount a compass, GPS, cup holder, holder for a handheld radio, wheel pilot, and future plans include a folding cockpit table.

Hopefully I won't be looked down upon for my heresy, although I must add that my boat has a 9ft beam which is more than many 27 footers have, giving it a bit more space in the cockpit than you'd think.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Last edited by twoshoes; 01-09-2017 at 06:50 PM.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-09-2017

Without 2 sides...or more, we can become closed minded.
baywater likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-09-2017

Twoshoes brings up some valid points although I personally, with respect, don't think they carry much weight. If a skipper did insist on the wheel option, I would encourage him or her to look for a boat with a reliable system installed. I really doubt that you would ever recoup the substantial amount of money required to install such a system.

Paul in Nanaimo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.