Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Seafarer
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010

Cjflyer is on a distinguished road
1975 Seafarer 22 Refurb

I have purchased a 1975 Seafarer 22, hull number 58 and it needs a little TLC. I plan to record my progress here. The boat came with a 1975 EZ trailer, 1972 Johnson 9.5 outboard and nice set of sails.

I am a novice sailor and new to the "trailer sailor" way. We have several lakes that should work nice for sailing. I am looking for any advice or input as I post my thoughts and intentions.

I will post some pics when allowed. The goal is to be sailing next season but there is a chance she may see wind and water before the snow flies this fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2010

Some "before" pics.

Old 08-22-2010

Test fitting the rigging and sails. All seems to function so far.

Ordered new bearing buddies today. Went with the "Gear oil" type with the clear window for monitoring oil level and contamination.
Found a little fiberglass damage that will need repaired. Trying to decide how heavy of cloth I should use. Did a little pressure washing on the deck and hull also.
Old 08-22-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Very cool! Welcome aboard!

I'm working on my trailer sailor as well. Progress is slow for now, had to buy a refrigerator instead of boat parts... Here's my progress, look forward to seeing more progress on yours!

1970 O'day 23' Pop Top Project has begun...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 08-22-2010

Thanks for the comments Landlocked. I just toured your thread. That's a neat little boat with that Pop Top set up. Looks like your making progress. I have a MacGregor Venture 22 also that I bought prior to finding the SF22. Its on Craigs list now and will make someone a great little project. Nice work, keep after it.

Chad
Old 08-23-2010

I posted the following to a different thread. I have begun the salvage process and plan to refocus my refurbish efforts on my 72 MacGregor. Should get many parts from the SF22. I am a little bummed but thankful that I can sell the trailer and lead keel plus gain all the parts I was needing for the Mac.

Lessons learned here are many. 1. If you don't know what to look for, get someone who does. 2. If your "low ball" offer is accepted, the reason is more likely a quality issue than a charity issue. 3. Minimize risk by ensuring there is at least the possibility to break even on your investment. Etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjflyer View Post
Well... I noticed an attempted repair aft of the keel fin where it attaches to the hull. I lifted the boat to get the weight off the keel. The fin sagged back into place as the weight was lifted. It moved about an inch to two inches vertically. It appears to me that the keel was broken from dropping it or perhaps years of hard groundings etc.

Since a previous owner attempted to repair the cracked fiberglass it appears that it was sailed in this condition. Since we plan to only sail in lakes and in mild water conditions I am not sure how big of an issue this is. It seems big.

My options are to salvage parts and scrap the boat and proceed with the refurb on my 72 MacGregor. Or, spend lots of time and money on a major repair on the SF22. Or, find a happy medium in there somewhere.

I would much rather have the sailing characteristics of the SF22 but I would rather not have the keel snap off and capsize.. Besides the obvious, "you get what you pay for" comments, are there any thoughts out there on how I could proceed? I paid $300 for the boat, trailer and 9.5 outboard and it is my sincere belief that the owner I purchased from did not know about this damage as he never sailed the boat. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-24-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Damn, I saw that other thread, but not the pics... WOW, that stinks man!

Oh well, one more life seminar down, you know that much more now. If you lived closer i'd be interested in the outboard!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 11-11-2010

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Nice pics..good luck with your seafarer 22..I bought a Seafarer 24 earlier this year and she is still in the water though she needs a bottom job this winter. She's a '71 and needs alot of TLC which I am trying to give her.

I am glad there are some people posting on this forum...right now it is the only active seafarer forum on the web that I can find...anyone know of any others? I hope this Thread can stay active...There are alot of these boats around afterall...Cheers!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.