Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Seafarer
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013

ChristianSailing is on a distinguished road
Anyone familiar with 1974 Seafarer?

I'm considering the purchase of a 1974 Seafarer trailer sailor but I'm not familiar with the seaworthiness or other associated concerns. It's listed on Craigslist in Knoxville for $1900.

The cost is good and the story is "laid off from work and needs the boat gone". The owner was very nice but has never sailed the boat.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2013

cjlmia is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone familiar with 1974 Seafarer?

Depending on the engine (ie running or not) and the state of the rigging, I think it looks like a pretty good deal. I tend to be optimistic in these types of purchases though I fell in love with my seafarer (1968 rhodes meridian) that I purchased last year.

You mention seaworthiness, I'd say that boat is suited for coastal cruising and inshore sailing only. Seems a bit light for anything offshore, although people have crossed oceans in less! If it has enough rigging to get on the water and start sailing with a minimum of additional purchases, I'd encourage you to go for it!
Old 02-24-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

For current info on the Seafarer click over to Cruisers Forum and correspond with a subscriber there known as BlackOak (see Attempted Trip to Bermuda - Cruisers & Sailing Forums)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-24-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

My father had a Seafarer of about that vintage, maybe late 60's. It was a dream to sail, other than that it seemed well built, that's about all I know.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-24-2013

cjlmia is on a distinguished road

I'll definitely second the sentiment that a seafarer is a pleasure to sail. The tiller requires a very light touch when the sails are well balanced, and she holds a course very well. I mostly sail single handed, and I can either lightly lash the tiller (with a few wraps of rope to the windward rail) or even just leave it if things are really well balanced. Then I can walk around on deck and tinker with sail trim/position etc., tidy lines, lean over the pulpit with fists pumping to the sky and shout "I'm the king of the world!" or just stare off into the water You know, normal sailor stuff LOL

It is also very nice to steer the boat by moving my weight fore and aft without having to touch the tiller or sail when things are balanced. I am a relative newbie to sailing, and I've enjoyed learning on my seafarer and developing a feel for the wind and the movement of the boat. She has also treated me well when I bite off more then I necessarily want to chew while sailing in rougher inlets and rougher seas
Old 02-24-2013

Anyone familiar with 1974 Seafarer?

Thanks for the responses and keep em coming. I had a 28.5 Irwin which we really enjoyed but the economy took any spare monies from us for yacht club fees etc. I live on the water so in high water season I could leave the boat on one of the city moorings. Don't know about the motor but for a family if three who enjoys local overnight sailing, it looks perfect.
Old 02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
For current info on the Seafarer click over to Cruisers Forum and correspond with a subscriber there known as BlackOak (see Attempted Trip to Bermuda - Cruisers & Sailing Forums)
Thanks HyLyte. Gonna take a look. Every since we sold the Irwin, it's been torture to look out the windows of our home and see others on a Beam Reach. I'm working hard at not impulse buying but.....
Old 06-20-2013

jamesnewsome is on a distinguished road

I have owned a 1974 Seafarer 29 since 2000 and can tell you that the Seafarers are generally good boats. They certainly had the best designers of that era. The key to any boat is how well she's been maintained. There are many Seafarers out there sailing every day and you constantly see them for sale on the internet.

I'm the administrator of the Seafarer Yacht Group on Facebook and we have 213 members. Along with this forum on SailNet you should be able to learn most anything you need to know about the Seafarers. I have tried to save all known documentation on the Seafarers and will be glad to share anything I have about the model you're interested in. Just let me know.

Tags
knoxville , seafarer , trailor sailor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.