Earning a Captain's License - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  

Quick Menu
Boat Reviews  
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Marine Electronics
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Contributing Authors > Seamanship Articles
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2000
Contributing Author
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 251
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Dan Dickison is on a distinguished road
Earning a Captain's License

How can I get a captain's license?

Claude Dussaud

Dan Dickison responds:

There are various ways you can earn a captain's license. You can attend classes via a business like Sea School, which prepares you for the US Coast Guard exam and steers you through the logging and documenting of your time at sea, you can do it via correspondence, or you can just go it on your own, take the exam, and provide your own documentation. I would recommend you go with one of the existing businesses that prepares you for the exam. Do an online search under "sea schools", or "captain's license" and you'll come up with a number of possibilities. You can take it from there regarding location and cost, etc.

There are several levels of licenses that mariners can attain, but I'm assuming that you're interested in the Six Pack license, what the US Coast Guard calls the OUPV (Offshore Uninspected Passenger Vessel). This license gives you the authority to carry six passengers, hence the name. There are three versions of this license (Inland, Near Coastal, and Master Inland). For each you have to be at least 18 years old to apply, and you need to document your sea-going experience. For the Inland level license, you need 360 days at sea, with 90 of them in the last three years. This time can be on board another person's boat or yours, but you have to supply the name of the vessel and the master of the vessel. For the Near Coastal version, you'll have to demonstrate that at least 90 days of your sea time have been in offshore waters. For the Master Inland version, you must be a US citizen and be at least 19 years of age.

I hope this information helps get you started. Good sailing to you.


Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.