Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Contributing Authors > Seamanship Articles
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013

nexttopevent9x is on a distinguished road
Re: Can You Buy Safety?

I am never sure whether a life jacket is more likely to save me than my fear of falling overboard without one is likely to prevent me from doing it.
Old 12-06-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

[quote=nexttopevent9x;1193442]I am never sure whether a life jacket is more likely to save me than my fear of falling overboard without one is likely to prevent me from doing it.[/quote]

There is a kernel of truth in that.

Over the years I have helped clean up after 4 significant climbing accidents, 2 of them fatal. Back then, no one wore a helmet at the local crags, only ice climbing. Curiously, all 4 victims were wearing helmets, and they didn't do a one bit of good. Yes, I suspect they made the wearer feel a bit more bullet proof.

Helmets are to keep smallish falling rocks and ice from making a dent in your head, same as hard hats in industry. They are not for falls. Similarly, a PFD will keep you from sinking, but it won't help nearly so much if you are solo, in truly bad weather and at night, or in truly cold water. Staying on the boat is what matters.

A final point. Not long ago, a very good friend of mine and a very skilled and experienced climber took a 50 foot ground fall (many fractures). He made a single stupid rigging error on something he had done many thousands of times. The moral: never become complacent and check everything you do when it is serious.

---

A final note: none of these accidents involved gear failure.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Yes you can buy safety, at least if you are not already an expert sailor: Go to one of the top sailing schools and buy an advanced sailing course with experts that provides:

"A course toward self-sufficiency, searching for other areas to navigate, managing your sailing program to allow you to consolidate knowledge through multiple experiences: you are working towards becoming an expert (anticipating, optimizing, and coping with new situations and weather conditions and adapting to the unexpected)."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-25-2013

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough

you can improve safety with money. But unless you are aware of all of the hazards around you, your chance of survival is slim...
So stay alert and aware.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 12-25-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"But unless you are aware of"
Boasun, if you have money, you can hire a keeper or a nanny to be aware for you.
Bodyguard, gatekeeper, groundskeeper, chauffer, bartender, food taster....and even people who'll supervise the staff and deal with the payroll once you get that many of them. :-)

Last edited by Faster; 12-26-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: font coding messed up
Old 12-26-2013

Woodvet is on a distinguished road

He has a point. I think a sailor who worries is on top of it. I am no advocate of any substance legal or not that reduces a persons ability to "worry like hell." Alcohol is a scoffs dream drug but anytime you mess with the mind you are messing with other peoples safety as well as your own. It's unethical to add hazards to others on the waters. I hope this appeals to those who alter their conscience because their conviction is all that stands between us and loss of life or property. For me it means never doing it because there are hangovers to everything. Please be responsible. It's enough to be out on the water without the substances that add dilution. Be VIGILANT always. It's my belief that alcohol leads to more death in percentage on the water than with vehicles. Keep a sober eye and a ready body for anything that's required. Should be the golden rule beneath vigilance.
Old 12-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Sure, worrying is important but not enough.

When I was a kid with 12 years, a bit on the athletic side, I had a very basic philosophy in regards being able to do things: Basically I thought that if a guy was able to do it so was I. That went on till the day I almost broke my neck doing a mortal over a gymnastic German table (do this mean something in English?) without touching it. In fact I had done not a complete roll, but one and a half and landed on my head!!!!

Later I learned that yes, probably I was able to do almost anything.....but with lots of training by the middle, sometimes many years of training.... and that live would be to short to learn how to do them all LOL.

It seems that in what regards boating many think in a similar way and because one's boat is the same or bigger, or safer than the boat the guy that just went out with a weather forecast with strong winds, they would be as safe or safer than the other guy because they have a boat that can take car of them and the other guy is an experienced sailor and knows what he is doing.

Most boats are relatively safe if the skipper is an experienced sailor and up to the conditions that he knows it is probable he will find. This kind of good sense regarding an accurate knowledge of each one capacities and the limits in which one is safe to sail with his boat seems to be not so common about boaters. Some think that because some can make it safely with a similar boat then it is safe for them too. Not much difference than that infantile supposition that I could do all things the other kids could do. LOL

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-26-2013 at 08:42 PM.