Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!

I dang near tore the bow pulpit off a charter boat years ago, long before I owned my own boat. This was a 36 foot Dickerson that some friends and I got for a week of local use. I was about 30 at the time, and had a fair amount of sailing experience, but very little docking and none of that as skipper.

Mid-week of our charter, when everyone else was at work, I went down with my sort-of girlfriend (zero boating experience) to re-locate the boat for our next outing. We were alongside a pier to starboard, with a dock maybe twenty feet behind us. We were faced away from our destination, so I would have to turn the boat around. My plan was to just back away to port and get out into the channel, thinking that I had plenty of room to clear the dock behind us. But as soon as we started backing, the wind started the bow swinging much faster than expected. It became clear that it would swing into the dock that I had expected to clear, with quite a bit of force. My only choice was to gun the engine with just a few seconds to spare, and this allowed the bow to clear by a couple feet.

By luck, the wind continued to spin us around and quickly put us into position to motor down the channel. As we departed, some wiseacre called out, "Been a skipper long?!" I hollered back, "What are you, some crotchety old sailnetter?"
Maine Sail, L124C, davidpm and 2 others like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Someone's gotta do it:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2013
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Article Number: 4763
Issue: 73 - July/August 2010
Page No: 62-63"
I had the wrong idea on what this was. Seems like a workable way to help things along, thanks again for the info.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't be too fast to trash someone's boat handling. It may be that skipper never encountered a similar situation before - after all most are in a slip or on a mooring and only side tie at the occasional fuel dock.

Besides karma - in the form of an unexpected wind gust - can be a bitch. And the payment will only happen when the dock is jammed with people

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 06-14-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road

A number of westbound boats were windbound one day in Cobourg harbour (ourselves included). Spent the day mucking about on the boat, reading etc. I noticed a brand new 40 ft boat backing out of the slip and heard the skipper declining any help from folks close by. His wife was on the deck with a boot hook as a precaution. The wind caught his bow and it slammed into the dock as he was throttling and steering like crazy...got out of the slip and started blowing into shore lined with rocks...more crazy throttling and steering with limited results - infact making their situation even worse. A bunch of us are now heading to the area as fast as we can to help. He was starting to clear the shore but his bow was headed to the stern of another boat. He ended up sidewise against this boat and if I recall correctly, it was at this point that his wife fell off the boat almost banging her head on the other boat on the way down. She clambered back on board visibly angry and upset (and sopping wet). Finally they cleared the area and headed to their destination, which was the fuel dock. 20 minutes later they returned and as they approached the slip someone yelled "can we give you a hand docking?". The soaking wet wife glared at her very quite husband while responding "yes - please!". Despite the very warm temperatures, I suspect it was very cold on the boat for the rest of the afternoon!
L124C likes this.

Old 06-14-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
I was the only crew on a delivery of a beautiful, brand new, 50 footer to New Port RI from Mt. Desert Island, ME. The owner of the company that built the boat was skipper. He backed into the slip at a speed that had me cringing and trying to anticipate the impacts. It all happened quite fast. I braced for impact a couple of times as he calmly throttled and spun the wheel. Without even a bump the yacht gently came to rest against the fenders in the slip. It was a brand new boat that cost about 1.5 million. Its Endeavor Blue Awlgrip finish never even got scuffed. When you really know what you are doing it is automatic. Can you tell I was impressed?

Down
Yes, someone who is really comfortable with the boat and has lots of experience (at least with similar boats) is really a thing of beauty! I hope to get to that point, but so far every time I pull into a dock I am nervous. I have been on boats where they pull in with just the right speed and don't even have to kick it into reverse, there is a lot of art to it since there is current, wind and prop walk all to orchestrate. Everyone says it comes with practice. Tell that to my father, he has been driving for almost 70 years and still can't park!
Old 06-15-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

A friend of mine just bought a new twin engine 31' powerboat (with bow thruster). I've been helping him get used to it (docking, etc), even though he is an "experienced" boater (smaller power boats). He is a good friend, but I have to say that some people just shouldn't own boats. He has no situational awareness of winds, currents etc, and is totally oblivious to his wake (even though I've told him repeatedly) and my best advice to him is to buy the Gold vessel assist plan. Helping him has explained a lot about what I see happen out on the water and in the marinas.

I had to laugh at the title of the thread because a month or so ago I tried to drive the car like I drive the boat. I was parallel parked and I turned the wheel hard toward the curb and put it in forward in order to kick the stern out.....
L124C, davidpm and bljones like this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Last edited by jrd22; 06-15-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2013

dorymate1 is on a distinguished road

Run just about all boats sail & power to 80ft. First thing I explain to anyone is to stop and take gauge of current wind and others. If you don't come to a complete stop before attempting to dock you have no exact knowledge of the forces against you. I don't mean stopping directly in front of the slip but somewhere that you can maneuver safely. Never throw a bow line to a dock handler. Use spring lines both approaching and departing. Practice Practice. It always amazes me when experienced sailors have trouble handling their boats around docks.

May you weather all storms
Old 06-15-2013

olddog60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I've made my share of Youtube-worthy bloopers. I'm sure I'll make more. We were all new at one time. This thread could be a good way for everyone, new and old, to learn something new. Hopefully it won't turn into a way to simply make fun of people.

So far (knock on wood), our most egregious lapse in situational awareness involved the Naked Lightning Dance but, we're still young (ish) and there's plenty of time for something truly dangerous/costly/embarrassing.
I have made entry and exits that were perfect, then again sometimes i am glad no one saw that. There is a young fellow that that just finished a circumnavigation on my dock. He docks like a rookie. Go figure. Bottom line the only way you get better is to do it often. I don't make fin of anyone I usually offer to help.
davidpm likes this.
Old 06-15-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

I have tried to keep my mouth shut, but I will never look at parallel parking without smiling again.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.