Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhtag View Post
Back in my 20's I had managed to purchase my first real boat. A Cherubini Hunter 25. I loved that boat. I had finally graduated from sinbads, snarks,force 5's and lasers.
Anyway I took some friends out sailing one day and on the inbound the old Johnson long shaft quit on me. The entrance to the marina was a quarter mile long creek barely wide enough for the boat with a left turn into the marina and a left turn into the slip. We were just in the channel when the motor quit.
Everyone gasped in a panic. The wind was directly on the stern so I lashed the tiller and hauled the main up in about 4 quick bursts and jumped back on the the helm. Of course I couldn't control my speed on a run down the creek. So we plowed along at 6 mph. LOL! Everyone was silent. I prayed to god nobody was coming out of our swampy little marina.
We made it to the main fairway and I brought her over and hauled in the main a bit hugging the down wind slips. At this point everyone in the marina stood holding their drinks just watching the show as we came flying down the docks. As my slip came up I dumped the main sheet, turned upwind into the slip, and ran forward to catch my own lines as smoothly as if I had done it a thousand times. Nobody onboard even stood up. I dropped the main with the flick of a wrist and began tidying up. Big boats make the yachtsman, small boats make the sailor.
You da man!... Not exactly sure how your saga applies to this thread though. You sailed well, and didn't drive your boat like it was a car.
When the s**t hits the fan, you gotta do what you gotta do and hope for the best. It should be pointed out that you probably had other, less dramatic options and that you most likely would have had rights over vessels coming out of the marina. However, it seems like you handled the situation well. You took what could have been a chaotic situation, and managed it, by taking advantage of existing conditions. The guy in my OP on the other hand, took a manageable situation and turned it into chaos by ignoring existing conditions.

Last edited by L124C; 01-06-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Cases like these I have to remiss to a time when I might have done the same thing (or something equal), and then remember I just may again do something like it again, after all I am only human. The "perfect skipper" doesn't exist (I know more than a few us think we've got that covered though). Maybe offer some assistance next time, and he won't get so close to your boat? Just sayin.

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 01-16-2014
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

My big lesson from last season:

When backing out of the slip and turning onto the fairway, wait until the boat is aligned with the the fairway before you slip out of R and into F. I was pointed at a much more expensive boat when I lost reversing steerage and stayed pointed there until I got some of the forward kind.

I wasn't that close, but 8 feet when you wanted 20 or 25 is too close.
JimMcGee likes this.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Cases like these I have to remiss to a time when I might have done the same thing (or something equal), and then remember I just may again do something like it again, after all I am only human. The "perfect skipper" doesn't exist (I know more than a few us think we've got that covered though). Maybe offer some assistance next time, and he won't get so close to your boat? Just sayin.
Dave
The thread was not intended to put anyone down, or say what a great skipper I am. I've made my mistakes, and have openly posted them in this forum, with the intention others might benefit.

However, the guy in the OP clearly had no plan or situational awareness, and thought he was going to motor away from the dock like a car pulling out of a parking space. Having seen several similar examples in the past, I thought I would point out what seemed obvious to me before I had ever even motored a sail boat. They don't drive like cars. Their performance (or lack thereof!) is affected by severable factors, some of them variable. All of which should be considered before casting off or docking, IMHO. If you disagree with that simple point, I'd love to see your argument. Otherwise...we don't have one.

Regarding "offering assistance"; I didn't know what he was doing (neither did he, it turned out!), and assumed he had the situation under control until it was obvious he didn't. At that point, there was nothing I could do. Fending off wasn't even an option, he was moving too fast. The only reason I noticed him at all (and saw the whole incident transpire) was because he was removing his fenders at the dock. Thought I might learn something...I didn't!
If he needed help he should have asked and I would have been happy to assist. A simple shove on his bow would have avoided the whole incident. However...it's his vessel, and his responsibly. Had he hit my boat, or torn the stern off of his, there would have be no question of that!
Just sayin (For what that worthless, passive - aggressive cliché is worth!)

Last edited by L124C; 01-17-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by l124c View Post
the thread was not intended to put anyone down, or say what a great skipper i am. I've made my mistakes, and have openly posted them in this forum, with the intention others might benefit.

However, the guy in the op clearly had no plan or situational awareness, and thought he was going to motor away from the dock like a car pulling out of a parking space. Having seen several similar examples in the past, i thought i would point out what seemed obvious to me before i had ever even motored a sail boat. They don't drive like cars. Their performance (or lack thereof!) is affected by severable factors, some of them variable. All of which should be considered before casting off or docking, imho. If you disagree with that simple point, i'd love to see your argument. Otherwise...we don't have one.

Regarding "offering assistance"; i didn't know what he was doing (neither did he, it turned out!), and assumed he had the situation under control until it was obvious he didn't. At that point, there was nothing i could do. Fending off wasn't even an option, he was moving too fast. The only reason i noticed him at all (and saw the whole incident transpire) was because he was removing his fenders at the dock. Thought i might learn something...i didn't!
If he needed help he should have asked and i would have been happy to assist. A simple shove on his bow would have avoided the whole incident. However...it's his vessel, and his responsibly. Had he hit my boat, or torn the stern off of his, there would have be no question of that!
Just sayin (for what that worthless, passive - aggressive cliché is worth!)
ok
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 01-17-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I wouldn't be too fast to trash someone's boat handling. It may be that skipper never encountered a similar situation before - after all most are in a slip or on a mooring and only side tie at the occasional fuel dock.

Besides karma - in the form of an unexpected wind gust - can be a bitch. And the payment will only happen when the dock is jammed with people
At some docks you must be (free) before you engage the engine. Cleats and lines have been known to pop and injury has happened.
Good Day,Lou
Old 01-18-2014

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
My big lesson from last season:

When backing out of the slip and turning onto the fairway, wait until the boat is aligned with the the fairway before you slip out of R and into F. I was pointed at a much more expensive boat when I lost reversing steerage and stayed pointed there until I got some of the forward kind.

I wasn't that close, but 8 feet when you wanted 20 or 25 is too close.
I know what you mean. This guy pulled in with only 50 feet to spare, but there was no paint exchanged. Check at 40 seconds in....
Old 01-18-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEjZWq-ekS4

How the Pro's do it.
Old 01-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
At some docks you must be (free) before you engage the engine. Cleats and lines have been known to pop and injury has happened.
Good Day,Lou
They shouldn't pop! How would those cleats or lines hold in a forty knot wind, or big surge? They sure as hell better be stronger than the cleats on my boat!

Here is video the guy in my OP should watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywLKrdTF7_g

Last edited by L124C; 01-18-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
They shouldn't pop! How would those cleats or lines hold in a forty knot wind, or big surge? They sure as hell better be stronger than the cleats on my boat!

Here is video the guy in my OP should watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywLKrdTF7_g
True you are right but the world is not perfect. Budgets are tight.
How much strain might be on a line and a cleat with a 42 foot yacht engine engaged? How much more pressure will wind, wave and current add all pulling on a dock cleat that has been there for how many years exposed to the elements, Bet your life on it? It does not have to be a large yacht. Inertia can build in smaller craft. Something for all of us to think about. We all know not to get a hand are or leg caught between the dock and the boat on the way in. This bone crushing force is the same when going out just better hidden, The cleat could care less. The line has no mind.
Good day, Lou