Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013

Peter06420 is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising Skills/Practice

There's going to be lots of stuff you need to do that's outside your current envelope.

Take experienced crew with you, get in over your head and get it sorted while you have some help.

Sail in conditions that you'd never think of single-handing in, check the weatherhelm & figure out how to get the boat to self-steer for even 5 minutes.

Learn how to back the boat upwind, downwind, cross-wind. Learn what's possible & what's difficult.

Figure out 2 or 3 alternatives to conventional actions. Your anchor is probably on the bow. Why would a single-hander go way up there to anchor the boat? Figure out another way to do that.

Plan on 24 hours (or more) of fog. Are you going to sit there with a fog-horn all night? Assume that you GPS will not receive anything useful in the fog - it's happed to me in CT.

When all else fails, then one more thing will too.
Old 06-30-2013
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
8. Pissing off the side of the boat while hanging on the the shrouds and scanning the horizon for ships.
Congrats on the new boat !!!!
Do not piss off the boat !!!!!!!!
I'm sure there are MANY fine fellas here that will tell you otherwise BUT it THE leading cause of going overboard.
Move forward on the 'high' side so if you fall you'll fall into the boat not out.
Have fun.
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmum View Post
Congrats on the new boat !!!!
Do not piss off the boat !!!!!!!!
I'm sure there are MANY fine fellas here that will tell you otherwise BUT it THE leading cause of going overboard.

Move forward on the 'high' side so if you fall you'll fall into the boat not out.
Have fun.
I doubt that any of us fine fellows would recommend pissing off your boat, I mean if you piss off your boat it is just going to give you lots of issues, including trying to toss you off the decks and stuff like that, a pissed off boat is not a good thing.
Old 07-01-2013

norsearayder is on a distinguished road

maine is great,come on up.get a chart plotter,use your sounder ,get a cruising guide,plan your daily trips to arrive before dark,eat lobster,come to portland ,free dock under the bridge
Old 07-01-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Small boats are harder to sail than big boats. The transition to simply sailing the big boat will be the easiest part.

The biggest surprise will be how many things break in a bigger boat and that often you need to fix them. Learn about your aux motor, and all the other comfort systems (fresh water, stove, whatever else you got). Learn about bigger boat rigging, steering, and where all the holes are in the bottom to let water in and out. Get some tools and put the aboard. Expect stuff to break. Stock some spare parts on board. Shake stuff down before you venture too far.

In terms of priority if the rig doesn't fall on your head, rudder is intact, and the boat stays water tight, the rest is just about comfort and convenience

Venture further and further as your comfort level increases. Anchor out. Learn to navigate. Learn about the weather. Learn the rules. Get some good charts.

Your approach sounds reasonable and responsible. Go down east! Sail on!
Old 07-01-2013

CaptnR is on a distinguished road

Hey Sully, There is always more to learn, I would focus on nightime nav, light ID on ships and shore, making sure chartplotter has AIS, paperplotting, logkeeping.
Re MOB, I prefer teaching my own method, spotter, immediate beam reach, (works upwind or down dowse chute if up) collect wits,tack to hove too, dive below target, come up, stop near target. Practice, practice.
Enjoy learning!
Old 07-02-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to check in and say thanks for all the advice. I've been reading it all. I've been very busy with finishing up my job (contract), packing up my apartment, moving things into storage, organizing the 800 Amazon shipments (bandaids/flashlights/multitools/random sh1t), stumbling around the anchor that I just bought (35 pound mantus, a little overkill but my intention is to be able to anchor safely in a nasty blow). Anyway, just packed up my apartment, which was traumatic during this heat wave, but now I'm relieved.

I got a lot of good info and thoughts here. For the record, the cockpit has two large plugs in it just below the waterline for emergency draining if for whatever reason the cockpit fills. I'm told they work good as urinals too. I have no intention of pissing over the side singlehanded, I've had some nightmares about falling overboard and I think it would most likely be game-over barring some miracle, so I'd like to avoid tempting that fate.

The boat is pretty nice equipped for singlehanding. Everything is led back to the cockpit, there is jiffy reefing on 2 out of the three reef points (I'm hoping to get the 3rd rigged this week). Chartplotter in the cockpit, with iphone + laptop with GPS as backup, plus a chartbook from here to the Canadian border. I'll sort out everything passed Canada if I end up going there. I do have a raster GPS chart of the Maritimes but I'd like to have more than that.

I did have one question though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter06420 View Post

Learn how to back the boat upwind, downwind, cross-wind. Learn what's possible & what's difficult.
What do you mean by backing the boat? Heaving to? going into irons? Going backwards?

Anyways, keep the thoughts coming, if you like.

and thanks!
Paul
Old 07-02-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I'd add "learn your boat systems" - and I mean all of them, electrical, electronics, plumbing, engine, drive train, rigging, everything. Sure you can learn it on the way - nothing like learning how to replace a fuel pump while drifting onto a rock ledge to speed up the learning curve.

Take books on all the subjects with you, references help as you won't be able to discuss something that boogles your brain.
Learn what you can fix and what you can't, then make contingency plans and test them.
Old 07-02-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I'd add "learn your boat systems" - and I mean all of them, electrical, electronics, plumbing, engine, drive train, rigging, everything. Sure you can learn it on the way - nothing like learning how to replace a fuel pump while drifting onto a rock ledge to speed up the learning curve.

Take books on all the subjects with you, references help as you won't be able to discuss something that boogles your brain.
Learn what you can fix and what you can't, then make contingency plans and test them.
HAHA, yep, nothing like learning how to fix the little spring that advances the timing on your outboard engine while the tide is going out and pushing you at speed into the Houston Ship Channel...
Old 07-02-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road

The boat has an outboard. Do I understand that in general people don't really repair their own outboards, they take them in for servicing? Not like an atomic 4 or something where you more or less have to know how to repair it to have one?

It's a Suzuki long shaft in good condition. But if it went south I would not have a clue.

Any guides to outboard ownership you'd suggest?