SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cruising Skills/Practice

6K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  aaronwindward 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm moving onboard a boat I bought (surveyed, good, solid). A Pearson Triton, nicely equipped. My plan is to sail north this summer from Newport, RI. I'm trying to keep my goals to a minimum and focus mostly on being safe and enjoying myself, but I'd like to make it to Maine and if things are going really nicely to Canada. I have 2 or 3 months.

Anyway, I've sailed and raced in small boats quite a bit, and sailed a bit on larger boats, mostly as a kid. I raced in Rhodes 19s last fall and winter and have been sailing them a bit this spring too. I've had a chance to sail in some pretty windy conditions and I feel pretty good about what I'm doing with those boats.

That said, as far as sailing a moderately heavy displacement keel boat, and cruising, my actual hands-on experience is limited. I've read extensively (Pardeys etc) and have a pretty good idea what I need to do. But I'm going to have to put that book knowledge into use this summer.

(please no discouragements if you would. I'm going to do this, regardless, and I think I will be fine).

I'm going to have some time with the boat in Narragansett Bay. I can lay at anchor there for as long as I like while practicing handling this boat. I was thinking of giving myself a cirriculum of things that I should be able to do without fail before I set off. I'm just trying to figure out what that might be.

Things that I've been thinking of
1) Figure 8 mob drill
2) quickstop MOB drill
3) Find a dock or float and do touch and go landings on it from all points of sail (hopefully can find that float somewhere)
4) Anchoring under sail, dropping anchor on a run and into the wind.
5) Pulling the anchor under sail
6) Reefing the main under way (jiffy reefing)
7) changing the furling genoa to the working jib

I have ideas about other things, like maybe doing a slalom course with some little buoys, or things like that. But I was wondering if you might have anything to add to a list of essential skills for cruising? I'd like to leave Narragansett bay feeling very comfortable handling the boat by myself. Any thoughts?

See less See more
#5 ·
#9 and #10

#9 Changing head sails while sailing
#10 Heave-To

Also how confindent are you at handling two sails at once, especially on a gybe?

#8 ·
That would be a good drill to practice - while pissing over board, lean over the rail/lifeline and go head over heals into the drink! Then, if you remembered to attached your harness, you can "re-position" yourself, zip up your zipper, and practice hauling yourself in or, alternatively, practice drowning...

#10 ·
Hmm, finally another thread where one can find salient advice on the art of cruising....

Of course if cruising one may expect the need to piss to occur and therefore should study the matter carefully. I would suggest having your crew position themselves about the boat along the rails and in other key positions, then haul your dinghy into position and let them monitor the spray array.

#13 ·
With all the handwringing SN talk from some experts of people putting to sea with limited experience, requiring CG rescue I would have thought this would be the ideal time to help and steer this gentleman into a safe course where he wouldn't require a CG recue. Especially with all the concern stated here to prevent further incidents from occurring. But alas we get a pissing over the rail lesson from one of the chief critics. Here's your chance to help vs. sensationalize and criticize with your expertise and critical advice.:):)

Congrats on your new boat Sully75,

You certainly have a great goal to look forward toward and I applaud you that you are taking a measured open minded approach toward it.

I would get as much sailing experience as you can. Maybe at time taking more experienced sailors with keelboats with you to sponge off of or get other opinions.

I would avail myself of an offshore course lasting two days. Many of the lessons are invaluable and even the most experienced sailor can learn something from them

I would start with a list of things you should have on board, spare repairable items for the engine, sails and some of the important systems. I would have backups of paper charts and few electronic charts. I would have enough emergency equipment on board to save your life should something catastrophic go wrong until help could arrive, In your case because its cold water maybe an immersion suit etc.

I would practice emergency procedures so they are routine and not done for the very first time live.

I a sure other helpful people will chime in here to help you be successful on your venture. Good luck

Dave
I would make a list skills you feel you need to learn he should learn,

Then start working on both lists

Reactions: mark2gmtrans
#18 ·
Other practice:

-Practice actions for minimum soundings (grounding imminent) on all points of sail
-Practice sailing in fog if conditions permit (do you have radar or AIS? Sound signaling device? Know the meaning of fog signals or have a laminated "cheat sheet" for them?)

#19 ·
Other practice:

-Practice actions for minimum soundings (grounding imminent) on all points of sail

Could you elaborate on that a little bit? You're saying what would you do if you are imminently going to ground but haven't yet?

-Practice sailing in fog if conditions permit (do you have radar or AIS? Sound signaling device? Know the meaning of fog signals or have a laminated "cheat sheet" for them?)
No radar or ais. I have a horn, but no, I don't know the signals. Ill ads that tot the list.

Thanks.

#22 ·
Hiya Sully, just a few thoughts for you on a big topic:

A large part of your navigation planning is going to be managing tides and currents, more often than not the currents will dictate your departure and arrival at the next stop. Especially where you're going.

Be realistic in how much ground you can cover in a day. When you do your planning, think about points on the way where you could divert to, if the weather turns on you or you run into some mechanical issue. Consider unlimited towing insurance. One tow could break the bank. It's one of the best deals in boating imo.

Know your boat systems, and how you'll manage them: How will you keep batteries charged, replenish fuel and fresh water. Have essential spare parts: impeller, filters, belts. engine oil, trans. fluid, anti-freeze ( if req.)

Have a Hand-held radio?

Get into a daily routine of checking all levels.
Regarding horns...you can easily blow through one of those cannister horns a fog. I carry one of these too: Amazon.com: Seasense Ecoblast Sport Horn with Pump: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Xl9r8wOoL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Xl9r8wOoL I'm working on an electric horn that runs off my radio.

Good luck, sounds like a great trip.

#23 ·
Elaborating on my "minimum sounding" practice suggestion:

Scenario is that you are on a (insert point of sail here) sitting in your cockpit kicked back enjoying the sun behind your Foster Grants when your depth sounder alarms indicating that you have (insert the setting of your depth sounder alarm here) feet of water under your keel. What action do you take? You need to:

-Reduce speed
-Turn toward deeper water
-Evaluate your position(you aren't where you wanted to be or the water is shallower than charted at your planned location- which is it?)

Do you head up? Bear away? Release the sheets and start aux propulsion? Where are any interfering boats or other obstacles?

How often do you get false depth alarms on your depth sounder? Should you delay action to resolve whether the alarm is a false alarm? Or not? (I suggest that if you have this problem you need to resolve it...you need to have confidence that when that alarm sounds it is a real condition.)

Actions are similar to what is required if you notice an obstacle (partially submerged floating shipping container?) dead ahead (except depth of water in the direction you are turning may not have to be factored in).

#24 · (Edited)
I read through the thread. A few obvious things you probably already know

Chartplotter GPS Depthfiner on board? How about a way to access weather reports? You know how to pick your weather window?

Inlets can be stressful if the weather is less than perfect. You probably know that but it could be an entire thread. Similar wind and current effects an be experienced with coming around a point.

Again, you probably know this but in addition to COLREGS, the main rule seems to be the bigger faster vessel does what they want. Beware of ships in a channel. They can move fast and to some of them you are just an annoying gnat. Listen to the radio. I've seen a few pilots deliberately mess with a sailboat that they feel is in the wrong place and doesn't answer the radio.

There is a lot of debris in the water now around the harbors and rivers due to the rains.

Congratulations and have great time. Newport is a beautiful harbor.

#25 · (Edited)
The toughest part of single handing is that every buck stops with you and they sometimes show up all at once. This can be a matter of distances in terms of needing to be at the bow to tend a bow line while needing to steer while needing to be at the stern to tend the stern line when docking, Or needing to pay attention to course, sail trim, depth sounder and still navigate.

The key is to be able to sequence your tasks, understand what you cannot do and try to avoid putting you and the boat in impossible situations. This takes both practice patience and the judgement to know it can't be done one way, so how can it be done. That will come with being willing to think things out in advance, try them as you suggest in the OP, learn from your mistakes, and be willing to go to plan B.

One of the hardest things to do single handed is to get into a tight dock in a cross current and/or cross wind. You need to practice that under engine, think about what can go wrong and how to deal with it if it does, and think about a bailout plan if things get crossed up badly. Maine has some wicked currents and an unforgiving bottom.

You may be aware of this already but it can be very helpful to simply stop and try a maneuver in open water before trying it for real. Being dead stopped you can see whether the wind or current is carrying you one way or the other. Learn to sight over hardware and other fixed points on the boat while keeping an eye on the compass to gauge drift and leeway. Once you understand what is likely to happen you can then proceed into a tighter higher risk maneuver for real.

It sounds like a great summer!

Good luck,
Jeff

Reactions: chef2sail
#26 ·
Hello all,

I'm moving onboard a boat I bought (surveyed, good, solid). A Pearson Triton, nicely equipped. My plan is to sail north this summer from Newport, RI. I'm trying to keep my goals to a minimum and focus mostly on being safe and enjoying myself, but I'd like to make it to Maine and if things are going really nicely to Canada. I have 2 or 3 months.

I'd like to leave Narragansett bay feeling very comfortable handling the boat by myself. Any thoughts?
Sully,

If you make it this far, and you should, send me a pm a couple of weeks before you expect to make Mount Desert Island. I have an extra mooring in Seal Harbor this summer and if someone else isn't already using it I will be glad to share it with you as you head east. Enjoy the trip. It is beautiful cruising "Downeast".

Down

#27 ·
I have taught about 20 people how to drive semi-trucks, they are large, complicated and have a ton of regulations on them...kind of like a boat. The best way to learn is to study the rules, the techniques, and the equipment, ask questions, and learn as much as you can, then do it. You can learn a lot from sailing with someone more experienced, but until you are the one doing all of the things that have to be done, it is not quite the same. I hate to tell you that sometimes you just have to stand behind the wheel, take it slow, give yourself a lot of sailing room, be super aware of your surroundings, and just try to stay relaxed and keep your mind in the game.

There is not a single thing that anyone here can tell you that will be exactly the same as doing it in person. I could sit here and tell you all about how to drive in the mountains hauling an oversized load, but until you have 200,000 pounds of cargo on the trailer and a combined weight of over 400,000 pounds and are going down a mountain in the snow, in traffic, it just is not the same. I could tell you to buy some piece of equipment, or tell you how to tack into some condition or the other, or how to tie some knot, but if you are like most people I would think you need to be like NIKE and just do it. Safely, slowly, and with your mind clear and being well rested.

#29 ·
I can drive ,but don't ask me to back a trailer. Boats, lol lots of information, I will go slow when i begin my practice TY.
I used to go to those competitions for backing and such, a company I was contracted to sent me and a couple of others every year. I get so tickled at a boat ramp. It is not that hard, trained monkeys can do it, but just not those monkeys.

If you ever want a laugh go on youtube and search for backing down a boat ramp. It will have you rolling in the floor watching those guys, unless you are one of those guys, then not so much LOL.

I would say that my most aggravating time on the boat is getting into a tight fit at a dock with a cross current or wind, yet other guys, who have had a lot more practice than me make me look like a boob. I will get back to practice next year when I get back on a boat.

#30 ·
11. Practice doing the naked-happy-it's-raining dance in the cockpit.

Single handing means a lot of time up top getting salty. The freshwater rinse is quite welcome when it comes, grab the soap and shampoo and enjoy. Other than that have fun, enjoy your boat and the solitude. Take your time and don't get wrapped up in meeting schedules.

#31 ·
There's going to be lots of stuff you need to do that's outside your current envelope.

Take experienced crew with you, get in over your head and get it sorted while you have some help.

Sail in conditions that you'd never think of single-handing in, check the weatherhelm & figure out how to get the boat to self-steer for even 5 minutes.

Learn how to back the boat upwind, downwind, cross-wind. Learn what's possible & what's difficult.

Figure out 2 or 3 alternatives to conventional actions. Your anchor is probably on the bow. Why would a single-hander go way up there to anchor the boat? Figure out another way to do that.

Plan on 24 hours (or more) of fog. Are you going to sit there with a fog-horn all night? Assume that you GPS will not receive anything useful in the fog - it's happed to me in CT.

When all else fails, then one more thing will too.

#37 ·
I just wanted to check in and say thanks for all the advice. I've been reading it all. I've been very busy with finishing up my job (contract), packing up my apartment, moving things into storage, organizing the 800 Amazon shipments (bandaids/flashlights/multitools/random sh1t), stumbling around the anchor that I just bought (35 pound mantus, a little overkill but my intention is to be able to anchor safely in a nasty blow). Anyway, just packed up my apartment, which was traumatic during this heat wave, but now I'm relieved.

I got a lot of good info and thoughts here. For the record, the cockpit has two large plugs in it just below the waterline for emergency draining if for whatever reason the cockpit fills. I'm told they work good as urinals too. I have no intention of pissing over the side singlehanded, I've had some nightmares about falling overboard and I think it would most likely be game-over barring some miracle, so I'd like to avoid tempting that fate.

The boat is pretty nice equipped for singlehanding. Everything is led back to the cockpit, there is jiffy reefing on 2 out of the three reef points (I'm hoping to get the 3rd rigged this week). Chartplotter in the cockpit, with iphone + laptop with GPS as backup, plus a chartbook from here to the Canadian border. I'll sort out everything passed Canada if I end up going there. I do have a raster GPS chart of the Maritimes but I'd like to have more than that.

I did have one question though:
Learn how to back the boat upwind, downwind, cross-wind. Learn what's possible & what's difficult.
What do you mean by backing the boat? Heaving to? going into irons? Going backwards?

Anyways, keep the thoughts coming, if you like.

and thanks!
Paul

#35 ·
Small boats are harder to sail than big boats. The transition to simply sailing the big boat will be the easiest part.

The biggest surprise will be how many things break in a bigger boat and that often you need to fix them. Learn about your aux motor, and all the other comfort systems (fresh water, stove, whatever else you got). Learn about bigger boat rigging, steering, and where all the holes are in the bottom to let water in and out. Get some tools and put the aboard. Expect stuff to break. Stock some spare parts on board. Shake stuff down before you venture too far.

In terms of priority if the rig doesn't fall on your head, rudder is intact, and the boat stays water tight, the rest is just about comfort and convenience:)

Venture further and further as your comfort level increases. Anchor out. Learn to navigate. Learn about the weather. Learn the rules. Get some good charts.

Your approach sounds reasonable and responsible. Go down east! Sail on!

#36 ·
Hey Sully, There is always more to learn, I would focus on nightime nav, light ID on ships and shore, making sure chartplotter has AIS, paperplotting, logkeeping.
Re MOB, I prefer teaching my own method, spotter, immediate beam reach, (works upwind or down dowse chute if up) collect wits,tack to hove too, dive below target, come up, stop near target. Practice, practice.
Enjoy learning!

#38 ·
I'd add "learn your boat systems" - and I mean all of them, electrical, electronics, plumbing, engine, drive train, rigging, everything. Sure you can learn it on the way - nothing like learning how to replace a fuel pump while drifting onto a rock ledge to speed up the learning curve.

Take books on all the subjects with you, references help as you won't be able to discuss something that boogles your brain.
Learn what you can fix and what you can't, then make contingency plans and test them.

#39 ·
I'd add "learn your boat systems" - and I mean all of them, electrical, electronics, plumbing, engine, drive train, rigging, everything. Sure you can learn it on the way - nothing like learning how to replace a fuel pump while drifting onto a rock ledge to speed up the learning curve.

Take books on all the subjects with you, references help as you won't be able to discuss something that boogles your brain.
Learn what you can fix and what you can't, then make contingency plans and test them.
HAHA, yep, nothing like learning how to fix the little spring that advances the timing on your outboard engine while the tide is going out and pushing you at speed into the Houston Ship Channel... :eek:

#40 ·
The boat has an outboard. Do I understand that in general people don't really repair their own outboards, they take them in for servicing? Not like an atomic 4 or something where you more or less have to know how to repair it to have one?

It's a Suzuki long shaft in good condition. But if it went south I would not have a clue.

Any guides to outboard ownership you'd suggest?

#41 ·
The boat has an outboard. Do I understand that in general people don't really repair their own outboards, they take them in for servicing? Not like an atomic 4 or something where you more or less have to know how to repair it to have one?

It's a Suzuki long shaft in good condition. But if it went south I would not have a clue.

Any guides to outboard ownership you'd suggest?
Having an outboard serviced regularly or doing it yourself once you know how is the best way to keep stuff from going wrong with it. I had an issue with the outboard in question, which was mounted on my fish and ski boat, due to the fact that I was testing it after I had recently purchased it. The PO had not done maintenance, although he claimed he had, and I had taken the boat and launched it, had it running for well over an hour, and then decided to take it for a short spin. The little timing advance spring came off and messed me up so that it had no power and would not run above an idle. I had to take the cowling off and then manually advance the timing to get back to the ramp, it was getting dark, the tide runs very strong there and it would have put me right into the middle of the Houston Ship Channel if I had not gotten it under control. Moral of the story, either check things out well before it gets dark, or have a mechanic in the boat...lucky for me I was the mechanic, unlucky for me I was also the only person on the boat and it is not easy to steer, rig a string to a timing advance and then get to safety while you are drifting very rapidly towards VERY large ships that would never even know you were there.

At least it was still light enough to see the stupid piece that gave up and fell off, any darker and it would have been a lot harder to figure out under pressure.

Lucky for me I had several people come along who helped me get things sorted out about the time I was getting it back to the boat ramp, of course luckier would have been them coming along a little earlier haha.

#42 ·
Get a sea gull and you will learn amazing things about engines... only kidding! But on the other hand, Have you ever read the book Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance?
Personally I would have spare plugs, and swap them periodicly, try to achieve mechanics touch, snug but not stripped; try reading the plugs, black is too rich, sandstone is cool, white, too lean? I forget.
Get a multimeter and learn how to use it for continuity, voltage, and short circuits.
Know where every thru hull is, and work them periodicly.
Check your anchor rode, make sure you have a swivell, and stainless seizing wire on all shackles.
What else? A million things. Turnbuckles, dirt in fuel, alternate fuel filters for you diesel guys; know how to at least do a broadstitch with palm and waxed twine, Where's my beer?

#43 ·
Your trip sounds awesome, and you sound like the sort of guy that's going to take preparing for this seriously.

The only thing I'd suggest are some shakedown cruises while you still have a car and money and place to park the boat and work on things. I'm still a beginner; but what I've learned is that pretty much any problem is solvable, if you're sitting at a dock with money in the bank. But that's not necessarily true when you're seasick and pitching in the waves out in the ocean when something important is broken.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.