Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor Setting Woes

Use all chain with 75lbs Rocna. Careful about the snubber as with no stretch in the chain lack of good snubbing can work the anchor out in a choppy anchorage. Try to use as much line as possible and sometime a bridle of snubbers which makes the boat sail less. Have a set up to attach snubber where rod for short sprit attaches to hull. Puts the snubber way down low which should help but haven't rigged it yet.
Old 06-26-2013

bobnpaula is on a distinguished road

We are on the Chesapeake, have a CQR with all chain rode (120 feet?) , use only hand signals, and generally 5:1, going to 7:1 if stronger winds expected. Agree with the statements that anchoring is an art. We were taught our technique by an experienced Chesapeake Bay sailor/instructor. She advised picking your spot carefully (based on all the usual stuff), approach area bow to wind. Let anchor down with some rode. Let it settle. Let out some more. Be patient. Let out some more. (this is where the "art" comes in). Then, if there's wind, you will see the bow swing to one side and then swing back and "get a bounce". When the rode is straightened out, Give 1000 rpm in reverse for about 5 seconds (count slow). Let anchor and rode settle again. Give 1000 rpm in reverse again. (hubby feels the chain rode while this happens. You can tell if the anchor is skipping over bottom) Also, you will see the chain rise up in the water, at a less acute angle, when you reverse, because anchor is holding. We were taught, "now go fix yourself a cocktail, and then give one more 1000 rpm reverse". Once done, check position of boat against some markers on shore...two trees, a house and a dock, whatever. Can check this later, before bedtime, to see if you've dragged. We have never dragged, and we've been in plenty of howling wind. We notice that a lot of people seem in a rush or very casual about anchoring. No hand signals, lots of yelling. No waiting for anchor to settle. They just throw boat in reverse with a big rev and consider it set. NO! Half the time they are yanking the anchor out of the set that it might have made. I'm probably not explaining this as well as I could, but the weight of the boat/any wind should be what sets the anchor initially, not the engine. The checks with engine reverse are just that... checking to make sure you are set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to bobnpaula For This Useful Post:
cman (08-05-2013)
Old 06-27-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

Its important to dance when finally done. Better than hand signals. You may choose a dance move of your own please don't use mine it may cause confusion.

More seriously ditto on the chill out before backing down. I copied my approach from someone else and have had fewer problems since. A light back down to "line everything up" under natural forces if available, then tidy up your boat. When you get the the beer stage of tidying up it also probably time to dig the anchor in a bit more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to theonecalledtom For This Useful Post:
cman (08-05-2013)
Old 06-27-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

We use hand signals and are very pleased with how it works. With experience you develop nuance and figure out your own system.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 06-27-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_sailor View Post

We are in the Chesapeake (read: mud) and use a Danforth as our primary. 30 ft of chain and usually at least 5:1 scope

Josh
That means you are anchoring in 4 feet of water.

30 feet chain less 6 feet water to bow roller = 24 feet
24/5 = 4.8

Basically you are not using all chain you must be using rope rode. Rope will never keep your boat secure IMHO.

I have 330 feet of chain and if I anchor in the minimum I could, 6 feet, I would put out 30 feet of chain and then my scope calculation 3 x 6 = 18 then the 6 feet to the bow roller. Total 54 feet all chain. Then add any tide allowence.

When I say I put out 10 meters/30 feet before my scope calculation: I fnid this is a small but essential blob of chain I use in any shallow water. My current anchoring situation is:
Depth 9.5 meters
Water to bow roller 2 meters
Tide: nothing, maybe a foot
Scope Nominal 3:1 no storms predicted etc

11.5 meters x 3 = 34.5
Actual chain out 44 meters

Converted:
Depth 31 feet
Water to bow roller 6 meters
Tide: nothing, maybe a foot
Scope Nominal 3:1 no storms predicted etc

38 feet x 3 = 113 feet
Actual chain out 144 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Use "Drag Queen" app on smart phone to see if set was good if electronics turned off. Great app and free.
justflie likes this.
Old 06-27-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Mark, what is the size of your boat again? And what is the size of your chain and is it standard or proof coil? I will be cruising Mexico and am re-thinking my ground tackle. I currently have a 35# Delta Fastset, 40’ of 3/8 proof coil chain and 250’ of 5/8 rode (nylon 3 strand). I also have a kellet. My boat is 34’ and fully laden for cruising will be about 16,000#.
Old 06-27-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

George - suggest you do a search on here and the other forums for anchoring discussions regarding harbors in Mexico. I haven't been there, but seem to recall a lot of first hand experiences and advice on ground tackle that you might want to consider.
Old 06-27-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Mark, what is the size of your boat again? And what is the size of your chain and is it standard or proof coil? I will be cruising Mexico and am re-thinking my ground tackle. I currently have a 35# Delta Fastset, 40’ of 3/8 proof coil chain and 250’ of 5/8 rode (nylon 3 strand). I also have a kellet. My boat is 34’ and fully laden for cruising will be about 16,000#.
My boat is a Beneteau 393, 39 feet, 11.62 m, 7.5 tons light and 8.5 tanked.

the chain is 10mm wich is similar but not exactly 3/8th inch. I dont know what standard or Proof coil are... but its the 'normal' chain that most boats get of that size.

I would keep the Delta but add as much chain as you can afford. I havent actually used more than 80 meters any time (260 feet) but its nice to know I have as much as I possibly can.

The 40' and 250 rode would be good for a kedge anchor because its light enough for setting by dinghy. For that anchor I would just get a kedge, so it can be a smaller Delta etc.

By Mexico you mean the west side? Sea of Cortez etc? I havent been there but I understand the anchoring can be quite deep. Thats similar to the Mediterranean where 25 meters water depth is common (80 feet water) now thats a lot of chain you want. If you dont have it then you are more restricted to parking the boat, maybe missing a great anchorage.

If I had oooodles of money I would be getting a Manson Supreme for the main anchor (or whatever new generation is currently winning in the anchor threads!)

I tried a Kellet (bucket of concrete) in a hurricane and it did bugger all good. It popped up like a ping pong ball and was just a twisting mess when we swung around. Useless as boobies on a bull. The weight of the kellet is only about 10 feet of chain anyway.

So now I keep stuff simple: 1 anchor, one long chain, one snubber

Hope this helps

Mark

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 06-27-2013 at 04:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
cman (08-05-2013)
Old 06-27-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Just wondering out loud here but does that micro-burst at 3:00 am that rotates you 180 degrees and blows 50 knots allow your anchor to "settle" before it begins its abuse on your "coaxed and coerced" set.....?????

Who is allowing your anchor to "settle" on a re-set in the middle of the night? Does Mother Nature care? Do you get up at 3:00am and go through the motions all over and coax it to set, then wait a half hour, dringk a cocktail, then back down a little more then wait some more, then apply 1000RPM to finally test it? How do you ever get any sleep..?

Sorry but if an anchor needs to "settle" and needs coersion or coaxing it is not the anchor I want, and I've owned and currently own them....

This is just SOME of the anchors I own (some of these are lawn ornaments to me and will never be used again):

We can set any of our new gen anchors, Spade, Rocna, Manson Supreme or Mantus within inches then apply at wide open throttle and bury it into the bottom measured in feet not inches.

I want an anchor that sets, and more importantly RESETS, all on its own without caressing, whispering in its ear or coaxing it to set.....
chef2sail and lancelot9898 like this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.