Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013

skelmir is on a distinguished road
Re: Know the rules!

Technically both those cases are within the rules. You were the stand-on boat but choose not to be by reacting first. According to the rules you first course of action should have been five short blasts and only after they still did nothing should you alter course. Not saying that you are wrong but if there was a collision and you altered course first then you are not necessarily in the right anymore.
T34C, bljones and MarkofSeaLife like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Sail/sail: starboard over port, leeward over windward

Sail/power: sail wins (unless power is *really* huge and/or hard to steer e.g. deep draft, restricted, etc and you should't be that close to him in the first place, what were you thinking?)

How hard was that??

I wonder if some of these 'close encounters of the stupid kind' are more about bad attitude than rules ignorance?

Or alcohol? say it ain't so...

then again, I have raced on boats whose booms say, in very large letters on the port side (only):

"WATCH OUT FOR STARBOARD TACKERS!!"

This has actually been helpful to me in the heat of the moment....;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to nolatom For This Useful Post:
dvuyxx (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013

andrewoliv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelmir View Post
Technically both those cases are within the rules. You were the stand-on boat but choose not to be by reacting first. According to the rules you first course of action should have been five short blasts and only after they still did nothing should you alter course. Not saying that you are wrong but if there was a collision and you altered course first then you are not necessarily in the right anymore.
Good point. But in both cases I didn't have time for the horn blasts as I was doing what was expected of me and very close. There is the "Last clear chance" rule so I altered course as I was the captain with the last chance to avoid the collision. Believe it or not in both cases had there been a collision there is a high probability that both captains would have been at fault. The captain that disregarded the rules and the captain that did not avoid the collision.
Old 06-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Sail/sail: starboard over port, leeward over windward

Sail/power: sail wins (unless power is *really* huge and/or hard to steer e.g. deep draft, restricted, etc and you should't be that close to him in the first place, what were you thinking?)

How hard was that??

I wonder if some of these 'close encounters of the stupid kind' are more about bad attitude than rules ignorance?

Or alcohol? say it ain't so...

then again, I have raced on boats whose booms say, in very large letters on the port side (only):

"WATCH OUT FOR STARBOARD TACKERS!!"

This has actually been helpful to me in the heat of the moment....;-)
power/power boat approaching on starboard has the right of way. Boat approaching on port must give way
Seaduction likes this.
Old 06-26-2013

delite is on a distinguished road

Whats worse is when the port police/CG decide to change the rules of the road. During the celebration of light fireworks in Vancouver I have had the port cops pull along side and tell me to use the other side (south side when leaving port) of the channel under the lions gate bridge so that boats pass starboard to starboard rather than port to port. I bet the freighters trying to enter the harbor really appreciated this to make no mention of those pleasure boats they hadnt told to use the wrong side (nothing on the radio).
The Harbor Operations manual states "All vessels are to keep to starboard of mid channel" within the First Narrows.
They simply create a situation where there is a higher likelihood of a problem by doing this. Idiots are everywhere. Keep a good watch and be safe.
Old 06-26-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewoliv:1050050

power/power boat approaching on starboard has the right of way. Boat approaching on port must give way
Well, give way or gun it and swing to port in front of the other power boat. I mean jeez, if we went to starboard BEHIND the other boat, we wouldn't be FIRST. (sarcasm included)

But then again, I truly think this is how some people think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2013

skelmir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewoliv View Post
Good point. But in both cases I didn't have time for the horn blasts as I was doing what was expected of me and very close. There is the "Last clear chance" rule so I altered course as I was the captain with the last chance to avoid the collision. Believe it or not in both cases had there been a collision there is a high probability that both captains would have been at fault. The captain that disregarded the rules and the captain that did not avoid the collision.
Yes the rules are setup that generally both parties are at fault. Most recreational boats are at fault by default because they fail to have a separate lookout and person on the helm. Not to labor the point but not doing the five blasts would be chalked up to not having proper lookout for early and effective action.

But what do I know ... I own a french production boat ;-)
Old 06-26-2013

Know the rules!

Well that explains it. The captain of the Beneteau was waiting for me to blast my horn!! :-)
skelmir likes this.
Old 06-26-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewoliv View Post
Well that explains it. The captain of the Beneteau was waiting for me to blast my horn!! :-)
And to think people think Beneteau owners are always looking for a chance to toot their own horns, now they want to toot your horn too LOL.

Just kidding guys, I have nothing against French boats, especially if someone wants to give me a free Beneteau Oceanis 58...

Attached Thumbnails
Know the rules!-oceanis-58-6.jpg  

Last edited by mark2gmtrans; 06-26-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: photo too huge made page look like crap
Old 06-26-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

The French don't get enough credit. They bailed us out of the Revolutionary War, make some pretty nice boats, and they make snails taste good.

I think that I know COLREGs fairly well. But sometimes out in the water it takes you a moment to calculate who is leeward, windward, bigger, smaller or French. I agree that there are some genuine ignoramuses out there ... but mostly it requires patience. A good rule of thumb is to keep a safe distance and assume no one knows what they are doing.
downeast450 likes this.