Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: Know the rules!

Quote:
Boat with Spinnaker is not flying their main sail
Who would do that anyway ?
I'd probably stay out of their way regardless, no telling what their next move would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

The first rule should be the golden rule. If you are in the right and cuss or crash into someone that may or may not know the rules what have you gained ? Where are you going ? You are making your stress level go up. The other boat may enjoy this there are strange folks in the world.
When I go to sail I want to have fun. Even at a race. You are most likely not going to get paid or go pro so save the boats. Try to educate and have fun.
Kind Regards, Lou
Old 07-13-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

All points well taken...

In the end, it is all about accident avoidance. I know of a collision in Toronto Harbour where the "right of way boat" saw the offending boat approaching on a collision course. BANG! That boat ended up sharing the responsibility for the collision. (Read: the insurance company did not pay for damage to the boat!...)

I once came too close to a collision myself when a boat approached with 150% genoa obscuring his view of me and I was too complacent and should have changed course sooner for my own piece of mind. We were both on port tack, and I was down wind, but so what? With a large genoa like that we all know that scanning for traffic to windward is not easy and easily forgone for a minute or two! Shame on me! Never again!

Right of way rules are of course necessary and useful - but I think their application-to-the-letter happens only when racing. Otherwise, while we all leisurely make our way at something between 4 and 6 knots (unless in confined waters), we have time to make small corrections. I, for one, do not count on the other guy SEEING me in the first place, let alone react correctly.

Last edited by flandria; 07-13-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2013
Oday30!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusc130 View Post
If you were motor sailing, then you weren't a sailboat, you were a powerboat.

I'm like so impressed! Maybe this was the clue? "Today I was motor sail tacking down river," Oh please, come teach me all about sailing? I promise I won't be a good girl and not toss you overboard with the first real time remark! I'm glad you have the gall to correct me, since I've found no evidence of you advising your peers!

I love the ignore function.. it works too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My boat is sold!

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-13-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

First up, Denise did not claim a right of way nor did she say she was a vessel under sail. Nonethless her craft is still a SailBoat (to use the American vernacular.) Her post was more a note re the Power Boats rudeness and apparent ignorance of colregs. At least that is the way I took it.

You may well say that as Denise was motor sailing she had no right of way and at the very least she implies that herself. Irrespective of her situation the other boat was sailing and so her point re rules is quite valid and lets get real ... how many of you really believe that even if D was flying the appropriate shape the stinker would have recognised it ? Give way to sail or no give way to sail , cutting between two boats that are on a converging course is utter stupidity whichever way you look at it.

Now maybe (yes we have had a reported post) Denise's response was a tadge snippy but from where I'm sitting "No Shite Sherlock" would have been an appropriate response to Marcus' post.

Anywho ... please don't forget my fine feathered friends that this is On Topic .... polite society, civil conversation and no farting.

cheers all

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation
The Following User Says Thank You to tdw For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013
Oday30!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Andrew! I try.. I really try to be gracious.. but sometimes, the cheap shots can get annoying.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
Old 07-15-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Happened to me this past weekend. DRIFTER of a "race". We're wing/wing on Stbd. Very slowly converging w/ us is a multihull on Port. Both of us doing about 2.5 knots. Pretty obvious there is going to be an "issue". I finally called to him "are you trying to cross us"? He said yes. I waited another 15 or 20 seconds and then loudly called out STARBOARD. Got no response and he kept getting closer. Finally when the lazy sheet hanging from my poled out jib (on the stbd side) was about to lasso his head I gybed away, muttering loudly as I did. He then proceeded to tell me he wasn't in my way! Wife said YES YOU WERE. Since neither of us was in danger of placing well in the race I wasn't going to protest him but his attitude really pissed me off so I called PROTEST, that's a circle... He ignored me and never did a circle.
What really irked me was we were gaining on a boat in our class and were just about to take their wind and pass them and lost the chance. Took another hour til we finally passed them and pulled away. 2 hours later they corrected over us by 26 seconds.
They and another boat both said they saw him foul me.

I recognized someone I knew on this guy's boat and they said they had just met him that day so they couldn't say what the hell happened.

You would think if you're racing you would at least know the S/P situations.

BTW, Just remember POW's have NO rights. Port, Overtaking, Windward.
Old 07-16-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

/sidebar/
Sailordave,
How is he supposed to get better if no one throws a flag? AND FOLLOWS THROUGH.
Next time, throw a flag, file a protest, and win. Get him tossed. He'll figure it out. Racing is a self policing sport, if we don't all police each other, then there are no rules. No rules = no race. A protest flag isn't a
d!ck move, it's just part of racing.
/sidebar/

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.