Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013

andrewoliv is on a distinguished road
Know the rules!

Got cut off twice this past weekend by "sailors" not knowing the rules of right of way.

The first instance: I am close hauled on a starboard tack being approached by a 40+ Hinckley on a port tack. The captain of the Hinckley was looking right at us and when it became apparent he wasn't going to alter course. I finally came downwind and went behind him. I had some choice words for him as I went by, too bad his family was on board with him. Wife was reading a paper on the bow so I don't think they wanted to be bothered.

The second instance: I am under power being approached by a 40+ foot Beneteau from the port side also under power. I have the right of way but the Benneteau didn't seem to know that or care. Most "sailors" don't know this rule so we aimed for the Beneteau's stern. (I question the seafaring knowledge of anyone who buys a French production boat anyway)

Not only does the French boat not give way. But slows and drops anchor right in front of us, all the while the captain at the bow watching us and his admiral at the helm also watching us.

If your going to make a serious investment in a 40+ sailboat. Take a class!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Know the rules!

Unfortunately stupidity and rudeness are not the sole province of power boaters.

Best get used to it.
chef2sail likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-26-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Maybe where you were sailing had some reason for the rudeness?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

From their casual attitude it would appear the other skippers did not perceive a need to alter course to avoid you before you removed the need.
Some people with bigger boats started with small boats and do have a clue ya know.

Last edited by capttb; 06-26-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-26-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
These cases always get me. I think maybe 50% of the time it's pure arrogance. The other 50% of the time it's pure ignorance. I work with some pretty smart people, but the common view is that since they can drive a car - they think that operating a boat is absolutely nothing more than pushing the gas and steering. And they have money - so some of them end up with boats... I was approached a while ago by someone who is incredibly smart, but has less than zero knowledge of boats. To make it worse - he thinks he knows. His question for me.....?

"What boat should I buy? I want something that can fit 12-20 people that I can drive down to the Carolina's on a Friday night for the weekend and miss all the traffic." We live in Connecticut..... He was serious in asking the question.
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewoliv View Post
G I had some choice words for him as I went by, too bad his family was on board with him.
Gee, that would have helped.
Old 06-26-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post
These cases always get me. I think maybe 50% of the time it's pure arrogance. The other 50% of the time it's pure ignorance. I work with some pretty smart people, but the common view is that since they can drive a car - they think that operating a boat is absolutely nothing more than pushing the gas and steering. And they have money - so some of them end up with boats... I was approached a while ago by someone who is incredibly smart, but has less than zero knowledge of boats. To make it worse - he thinks he knows. His question for me.....?

"What boat should I buy? I want something that can fit 12-20 people that I can drive down to the Carolina's on a Friday night for the weekend and miss all the traffic." We live in Connecticut..... He was serious in asking the question.
I hope you recommended a CESNA to him haha.
Old 06-26-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Try not to let it bother you. There is nothing you can do about it so do as I do. Assume they have no clue and do your best to quietly avoid them. I know it is tough to no give them some choice words or hand signals(BTDT). You are out there to have fun.

Other sailors really do not bother me much. You can avoid them. What gets to me are the fast powerboats that come too close for comfort.
downeast450 and Lou452 like this.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 06-26-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans:1050002
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post

I hope you recommended a CESNA to him haha.
I did... because we are know that flying a plane is nothing more than hitting the gas and steering Besides - if he just runs down to the Cesna dealer and lays out some cash - then he could hop over to Europe for the weekend LOL
mark2gmtrans likes this.

Old 06-26-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

its not that the captain of the Hinkley did not know the rules of the road or because he had a bigger boat. he was trying to remember which side is starboard because he knew if he could remember that then he would know he was on port tack. bugs me too but it is part of sailing. when I sail I always figure the other boat has no clue. one day I was in the channel dousing the main, single handed and a 70' sailing day charter under power was approaching, as he steered around me he reminded me that he had the right a way because he was a big boat and a less maneuverable boat. I asked him if he wanted to trade because my boat was much easier to handle even with the sails laying all over the deck.
Lou452 likes this.