Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013

andrewoliv is on a distinguished road
Give way when hoisting the main?

When I see a sailing vessel raising their main, as a courtesy, I give way so I don't interfere with the other vessel.

Even though both vessels are under power, technically if the other vessel is to port or I to their starboard I have the right of way. I still bear away as not to interfere with the hoisting of their main.

I was wondering do other sailors share this view?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Give way when hoisting the main?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewoliv View Post
When I see a sailing vessel raising their main, as a courtesy, I give way so I don't interfere with the other vessel.

Even though both vessels are under power, technically if the other vessel is to port or I to their starboard I have the right of way. I still bear away as not to interfere with the hoisting of their main.

I was wondering do other sailors share this view?
Of course.
Old 07-30-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I treat it the same as you. Raising sail is one of those "special operations" that sort of restrict maneuverability, though not enough to qualify as "Restricted in Ability to Maneuver" under the Rules. But I don't want to have to make some poor guy have to start "reaching" with a half-raised main in a strong breeze.

It's just courtesy. You're busy and need to hold course into the wind. I have no particular need to hold course. Have a nice day and 'stand-on', you'd do the same for me, especially if you've seen others do it for you.

The "Golden Rule" isn't part of the Colregs, it's more d.i.y. in nature.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 07-30-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

If I'm under power, sure. If I'm sailing and they chose to put up their main in my line of travel then I'm less sure, but it's never come up.

When I put up my main I try to do so out of the way of others. Even in busy Shilshole Marina this is pretty easy to do.
Old 07-30-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Your ability to manoeuvre is restricted.

Plus you are waving a huge white floppy flag in surrender.

Thirdly you are 'in irons' for other sailing boats.

So after you consider it safe to turn up into the wind to raise the main I think you are well within the rules, colregs etc, of the Stand On vessel.

Take this situation... You check the area is clear and come up to wind where you raise the main. During the hoist the damn thing snarles some thingy up the mast. You are stuck there whilst you clear the snarl. If you were to bare off, etc, you would be putting your people at risk with flailing boom, sheets and furling lines. If a ship comes around the corner then you would be quite clearly imho abole to call him on the VHF and tell him to stand clear.

Mark
Old 07-30-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

You aren't in the rules for the stand-on vessel if your motor is on. As long as your motor is on and cooling water is spitting out of the motor you are a power boat and power boat rules apply. It doesn't matter if you are neutral or in gear.

When the motor is off you are sailing and sail rules apply.

If you have a motorless vessel then you would have right of way over a powered one. However if you have a motorless sailboat there is also a very good chance that you raised sail at the dock.
Old 07-30-2013

andrewoliv is on a distinguished road
Give way when hoisting the main?

So the purpose of this thread.

I was raising my main under power. 3/4 of the way up my halyard got tangled in the lazy jack. I could not lower nor raise my main.

While struggling with the main another sailboat under power is bearing down from starboard. The other vessel has the right of way I will concede. I asked the vessel to bear away (twice). The other captain pointed out I was under power and refused to alter course. (He needs to turn his sailboat because he doesn't deserve to own one)

I make it a point not to cross the bow of another boat raising their main just out of common courtesy. Wondered if other sailors practiced the same courtesy
Old 07-30-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

My motor is on and I'm singlehanded standing at the mast trying to get the halyard unraveled from some thingy on the mast. Seems like my ablility to manuever is limited. Even running back to the cockpit and gooseing the engine, I will not have manuverbility until some way is gathered.
Old 07-30-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
You aren't in the rules for the stand-on vessel if your motor is on. As long as your motor is on and cooling water is spitting out of the motor you are a power boat and power boat rules apply. It doesn't matter if you are neutral or in gear.

When the motor is off you are sailing and sail rules apply.

If you have a motorless vessel then you would have right of way over a powered one. However if you have a motorless sailboat there is also a very good chance that you raised sail at the dock.
The definition of a power driven Vessel is
"b.The term 'power-driven vessel' means any vessel propelled by machinery;"

So You're not correct, unless the engine is propelling the Vessel (i.e. in gear) you're not a powerdriven Vessel.
jackdale and Morild like this.
Old 07-30-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewoliv View Post
The other vessel has the right of way I will concede. I asked the vessel to bear away (twice). The other captain pointed out I was under power and refused to alter course.
There are courteous boaters, ignorant boaters, and then there are the completely arrogant a**es, like the one you came across. It seems best IMO to avoid someone whose sails are flogging regardless of ROW rules. However, there is also a rule that says you have to avoid a collision even if you're in the right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38