Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Limits of Captains authority

Yam,
I was aboard for only 8 months due to a medical problem. In that time 3 Master's came and went.
Old 08-16-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Jacldale and ChucklesR both have the answer. A Captain's authority follows from his responsibility. Simple as that. Whether you are commissioned, liscensed or not is irrelavent. If you are operating a vessel, yours, rented, borrowed or stolen, you have responsibility for its safe and legal operation, which gives you authority to take legal actions to insure it is so operated.
I also believe in the old Army teaching that you should not order someone to do something you are not willing to do yourself. Willing to, not necessarily capable of.
Captains and crew live in a symbiotic relationship where knowledge, skills and abilities coupled with effective communication and leadership serves the interests of the ship. This thread derives from another - Mutiny at Dawn - where little if any of this was present.
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

but please, for the love of humanity, do not call yourself Captain nor your wife the Admiral. (hmmmm pet hate perhaps ?)
DRFerron and chamonix like this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
but please, for the love of humanity, do not call yourself Captain nor your wife the Admiral. (hmmmm pet hate perhaps ?)
I agree. Although I know lots and lots of women are OK with it, for some reason calling a woman "Admiral" just sounds condescending to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-16-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

There are NO LIMITS for a Captain! MuhAHAHAHAHAHA

Please support my
Old 08-16-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I agree. Although I know lots and lots of women are OK with it, for some reason calling a woman "Admiral" just sounds condescending to me.
That's because it IS condescending ... and the title seems to come with an implicit eye roll "yes, dear."

To OceanGirl: try TeleVision Makes Dull Children - our instructor's PC version of your mnemonic.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-16-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

No.... like SWMBO its half serious.... its the way a lot of guys like to operate. Make the wife the heavy or the boss... they say the wife is in charge then they aren't responsible for anything. I have some friends and relatives like that. You ask if they want to go to the movies and they have to ask their wife what they are doing that night. As a guy, I find it incredibly annoying. Thats where I think the admiral thing comes from. Some guys say "the boss" or SWMBO.

Captain? captain? ha!!! On my boat the "captain" is the person holding the tiller...and is generally subjected to non stop scorn complaints and abuse.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 08-16-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
There are NO LIMITS for a Captain! MuhAHAHAHAHAHA
.... which is why cabin boys had such a rough time ...

Quote:
That's because it IS condescending ... and the title seems to come with an implicit eye roll "yes, dear."
Quote:
and of course none of us would ever consider such condescension now would we ?

All I know is calling the Wombet "Admiral" would place the twins in dire peril.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-14-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
(it happened all the time, especially SEAL and Mine warfare types. Some junior officers didn't get it and had to be shown the regulations and orders).
ChucklesR, Navy/Marine Corps aircraft have an exception where a flag officer can take over tactical command of an aircraft. Never had one do it, and I offered twice when we were having a "discussion" about the flights.

Do you know if Navy ships have the same rule?
Old 09-14-2013
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road

Ut oh....after reading this thread.....I think I may have exceeded my authority ever when I grabbed a guy on my boat by his balls & his hair & propelled him over the stern . But before anyone makes me out to be a complete cad , where I threw him overboard was easily on the path of my intended course change & I did pick him up & then landed him in Newport RI where I let him walk off the boat on his own .