Any Advice for sailing Kingston, NY to NYC?? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 09-02-2013
Re: Any Advice for sailing Kingston, NY to NYC??

I did that trip last summer.
Another vote for 79th St Boat Basin. Cheap moorings and great location--walk to the Museum of Natural History. But rowing a dinghy against an outgoing tide is very hard.
It's an easy 2-day trip, motoring. You'll deal with tide in both directions over that time span, so they'll cancel each other out to some extent. If you're only sailing, obviously the travel time is going to be different.
I anchored each way behind Bannerman's Island. Great spot but tricky to get to, and only one way to do it. Maybe a half mile or so south of the island, on the E side, there's a masonry building right at water level that is part of the NYC water supply. From the channel, head directly towards it till you're about 50 or 60 feet from it and turn north to run parallel with the shoreline, maybe 60 feet off. Watch your depth closely. It's a little nerve-racking but the least reading I had was 9 feet and most places around 14 or so. The chart will show the channel and adjacent shoal.
Water deepens and the channel widens after one or 2 hundred yards and there you drop anchor. You're still close to the east shore, and passenger trains run regularly through the night, but the view of the ruins is great.
I've read that you can anchor under the Pallisade cliffs on the W shore north of the GW Bridge. I actually did anchor easily there but not overnight.
A strong north wind, say with a storm, can generate surprisingly large (3-4') waves on that river--surprised me after a few years on Lake Champlain.
Be prepared to make way for large commercial ships and barges.
And use a chart--like a commercial, waterproof version that combines the NOAA Hudson River charts.

Last edited by VallelyJ; 09-05-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 13 Old 10-02-2015
Never mind

Last edited by JohnZion; 10-06-2015 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Not needed anymore
post #13 of 13 Old 10-02-2015
Captain Obvious
Re: Any Advice for sailing Kingston, NY to NYC??

Hey John

The guy hasn't checked in since last May so I doubt he is going to see this. You might want to take whatever measures you can to secure the boat. Good luck.

Sal Paradise

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

advice , kingston , navigation , nyc sail manhattan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.