Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004

calamityjane is on a distinguished road
splicing wire

if anybody out there can point me toward a reference for splicing double braid to wire rope it would be appreciated. this seems to be the top secret technology of the riggers art for as many books you can find on it. i am restoring an elderly islander on a dinghy budget. i can afford the wire, the braid, or the paying someone to do it.... but not all three. my 3 strand and braid splicing is old news, i''ve just never dealt with wire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2004

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
splicing wire

Why not just go with all-rope spectra or vectran? It works out at about the same price and has many advantages (like being able to end-for-end your halyards to increase lifespan and never having to worry about "meathooks" again.)

Sasha
Old 08-24-2004

AJS is on a distinguished road
splicing wire

Sheaves designed to work with wire to rope halyards may damage all rope halyards. Altering the sheaves or buying new ones adds to the cost.
The method for making the splice is described in detail in ''The Riggers Apprentice'' by Brion Toss. An excellent source of information on many rigging problems.

www.briontoss.com
Old 08-24-2004

fer@fer is on a distinguished road
splicing wire

Calamity Jane,

sorry, I''m in a hurry,

just check page 8 of this pdf

http://www.marlowropes.com/yachting/downloads/splicing_document.pdf

Regards

Fernando
Old 08-24-2004

splicing wire

You know. I keep hearing this. And I know that sheaves that have run wire (whether diesigned for it or not) will have the groove worn in them that will kill rope halyards.

BUT IT IS REALLY NO BIG DEAL OR EXPENSE TO SWAP THEM OUT.

For about $16 we got four Vesconite sheaves, Margaret went up the mast in the bosuns chair and replaced the old aluminium ones in a little under 15 minutes. Job done.

Having gone over to spectra halyards, I am never looking back. The next project is to go for Spectra 5mm lifelines instead of the cable. Much friendlier.

Sasha

Old 08-24-2004

fer@fer is on a distinguished road
splicing wire

Sasha_V

In case replacing wire to rope halyards by spectra or any other exotic fiber, he will also need to pay attention to the rope diamenter of stoppers if any, as well as drum and self tailing rope allowance.

Regards
FErnando
Old 08-25-2004

splicing wire

I get the feeling I am arguing as the devil''s advocate here...

Why?

If the halyard he has now is double braid that is spliced into cable. Lets say the double-braid is 10mm. You change out the top sheave sot hat you can run 10mm spectra throughout. It gives you something much stronger then you used to have. It is lighter and friendlier to the touch...and it fits all stoppers and drums and ST''s in exactly the same way as the double-braid used to.

he only place you need to replace anything is where the steel cable used to run. And that is just the top sheave.

Really, this IS easy. I have done it, there is nothing to be scared of.

Sasha
Old 08-29-2004

paulk is on a distinguished road
splicing wire

We worried about changing our wire/rope halyards to all line too. Are the sheaves, sized for wire, too tight a turn for the new techno wonderstuff? It appears that wire needs a bigger radius than what''s now available. This is therefore a nonissue.

Are the old sheaves going to chew up your expensive new halyards because of rough edges caused by the steel wire abrading the softer aluminum or composite sheaves? Do they abrade the rope part of your current wire/rope halyards? Get some sandpaper and smooth them down. Two sheets at $0.75 each : $1.50.

Is your new halyard going to jam in the sheave because it''s been designed with a wide part for the line to run in and a narrower slot for the wire to ride on. As Sasha V suggests, get a new line of sufficient diameter to be comfortable to hold, and it won''t slip into the tighter slot.

We changed out our wire/rope spinnaker halyards to all line five seasons ago. The meathooks were getting excessive, and we learned that an all-line halyard would actually stretch LESS than wire. A single strand of some of the stuff available, say 10 to 12mm, is strong enough to lift a 10 ton keelboat. We were concerned about all the above issues, but have not had ANY of the problems described. We''ve examined our halyards carefully at the end of each season, and the only problem seems to be the sun fading the color on the exposed parts.

The best idea might be to simply use all line and examine the halyard and sheave at the end of the season when you pull the mast. If the sheave should be changed, you''ll be able to tell. If not, you''ve saved $20 for a new sheave, and perhaps $150 for a wire/rope splice. Of course, there are the purist restorers who want everything to be "period", but they sail with reel winches for their all-wire main halyards and have an orthopedist on retainer for when the brake is released with the handle in.
Old 09-05-2004

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
splicing wire

Next time someone asks me what <em>drift</em> is, I''ll point him to this thread…
Old 09-12-2004

paulk is on a distinguished road
splicing wire

A drift is an unthreaded bolt, Jeff. Maybe peened over at the ends like a huge rivet, and used to tie things like keel timbers together, or rudders. Chappelle talks about them all the time. Don''t see what they have to do with halyards, though.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.