Can someone seasoned answer a navigation question? Would be much obliged - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Can someone seasoned answer a navigation question? Would be much obliged

The reason I asked about boats is that my preferred passage would be very different depending on the kind of boat. Small versus large, power versus sail. I'd also like to know from where in Siberia you were thinking of leaving. According to Encyclopedia Britannica, Siberia borders both the Pacific and Arctic oceans. So, if you're in the Northwest portion of Siberia, you'd probably take a very different route than if you were in Eastern Siberia.

Looking at a map of the ocean currents like this one:

You can see that the current on the eastern cost of Siberia (i.e., the northwestern Pacific) tends to flow to the south. However, by the time you get to Japan, the current turns against you and starts to flow to the north. Motoring/sailing into that would be like walking into a headwind, and you're going to lose speed. It may not be much in an absolute sense, maybe a few knots/miles per hour. For some vessels, that may be fine, but for a sailboat, where the maximum speed is typically less than 10 knots (most say to assume a 5 knot average speed for long passages on a sailboat), a 2-3 knot drop is easily a 20-30% speed reduction. What seems to me to make more sense would be to ride the Kurishio current southeast, away from Japan for a while (probably somewhere around the Midway Islands, though you may not need to go QUITE that far). Then head southwest with the intention of picking up the equitorial currents.

Now, the above assumes good weather and a stout boat with lots of fuel and water carrying ability.

As for a slower route, well, if you were to leave from northwest Siberia, you could, as mentioned above, try to take the route around the arctic, but depending on the time of year, you might get ice bound. Once you're free from the ice, heading down the coast of Europe to the Equitorial currents, and then hitch a ride across the Atlantic to Panama. Go through the Panama canal, then ride the Equitorial current across the Pacific to Australia.

You could also go down the cost of Europe, then cross the Equator and head south along Africa. You'd fight the current all along the African coast, but then you could pick up the Antarctic circumpolar current and ride that over toward Australia.

Does that work for a somewhat more serious answer?
LaurenceU and Seaduction like this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2013

LaurenceU is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LaurenceU

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathergoddessesofphobos View Post
thanks tdw. I just pinned up a flat map against the wall. siberia is on the top left and australia bottom right so my son grabbed his toy boat and was trying to guestimate a very very long trip. He loves ships.
I would would go out and buy a cheap globe. Mark up the great circle route (well there are two, eliminate one or save as the dumbest route?) The great circle route is the shortest distance. Are there any land masses in between to be avoided?

Ferdinand Magellan didn't have the benefit of aircraft, cruise ships, tankers etc but he showed great resourcefulness in organising a fleet of sailing ships to sail around the world, so lets assume he could do the same for this hypothetical journey.

so starting with the great circle route how would weather conditions modify this choice? provisioning? navigation? Your sons enquiry is great educational opportunity. You don't say how old he is but lessons to be had on weather, map projections, navigation instruments of the time etc etc

Over to others? Perhaps need to specify east or west coast of Oz.
Seaduction likes this.
Old 09-05-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Attachment 15534
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone seasoned answer a navigation question? Would be much obliged-route-kamchatka-australia.jpg  

Last edited by Seaduction; 09-05-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: New Photo
Old 09-05-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Why on earth would you want to go to Oz?
"yeah thats not what I was looking for at all."
Now that was funny!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Why on earth would you want to go to Oz?
"yeah thats not what I was looking for at all."
Oh - that guy is good:

Quote:
I don't have a cat. I once agreed to look after a friend's cat for a week but after he dropped it off at my apartment and explained the concept of kitty litter, I kept the cat in a closed cardboard box in the shed and forgot about it. If I wanted to feed something and clean faeces, I wouldn't have put my mother in that home after her stroke.
Bam.
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-05-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. Perhaps the goddess can come back and let us know if we're going beyond what her son with his toy boat wanted to know?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-05-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Hmmm. Perhaps the goddess can come back and let us know if we're going beyond what her son with his toy boat wanted to know?
Good idea. I really don't understand the question. What is at issue with blindness? What type of vessel? Non stop or not? etc., etc.
Old 09-05-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road

OK, it's official. I now hate Caleb. Introducing that 27bslash6 page to me has just made it impossible to get ANYTHING done until I read every article. Thanks for sucking up my life, friend! ..

Great stuff.. thanks for the chuckles. Makes the "Jerky Boys" seem polite....

Barry

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 09-05-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I suspect she was alluding to the fact that as a navigator compared with Magellan she is figuratively blind. Hopefully the sprog will be more adept at avoiding spears.

I cannot see why if you are heading from Siberia to Kansas ... no Oz ..... Oh damn it Australia then ..... you would not choose to go through the Berring Straits. It just makes sense. At least to me.

These guys did a similar voyage but in reverse and when they went through the BS they turned right to Europe.

Home | Berrimilla

Hal Roth and his wife did a circumnavigation of the Pacific many years back travelling clockwise. (Two on a Big Ocean - Roth)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I was assuming a departure near Magadan, not up near the BS. Why would you force your route to go all the way south along Africa when you don't need to? Plus there's the thread about the NW passage icing over; that might collocate things.
1975 Albacore 15