SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Can someone seasoned answer a navigation question? Would be much obliged (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/103337-can-someone-seasoned-answer-navigation-question-would-much-obliged.html)

leathergoddessesofphobos 09-04-2013 10:07 PM

Can someone seasoned answer a navigation question? Would be much obliged

This is my older son's inquiry. I am Magellan, if Magellan were blind.
My son thinks I can somehow map out all the routes from Siberia to Australia so I'll settle for what someone here thinks is the BEST and the WORST. Would be much obliged. Thanks!

fryewe 09-04-2013 11:34 PM

Re: Can someone seasoned answer a navigation question? Would be much obliged

No.

Magellan is not blind. He is dead.

jimgo 09-05-2013 12:54 AM

How do you want to travel? Are you talking practical routes, or theoretically ideal routes? You also didn't specify transportation modes. So, the short answer is, fly. If you rule out flying (this being a sailing site), it still isn't exactly clear what you want. For example, land-based travel is generally going to be faster than travel by boat, so if geopolitical considerations weren't an issue, I'd rent a car and drive down to Vietnam, then get a boat from there to Australia.

If you're looking only to travel by sea, what kind/size of boat are we talking about? Tanker? Cruise ship? Massive personal motor yacht? 18' sailing dinghy?

manatee 09-05-2013 01:10 AM

Fastest=suborbital flight, approx. 30-45 minutes;

Russia's Manned Soyuz Space Capsule Explained (Infographic) | Russia Rocket Launches & Russian Spacecraft | Human Spaceflight & Spaceships | Space.com

tdw 09-05-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryewe (Post 1084398)
No.

Magellan is not blind. He is dead.

He could well be both ....

...... not only is he dead he didn't come within a bulls roar of either Siberia or Australia.

manatee 09-05-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 1084444)
He could well be both ....

Clairvoyant Zombie Navigator?

leathergoddessesofphobos 09-05-2013 01:52 AM

oh come on. so im zombie blind magellan. its a hypothetical question from a really young child. in an ideal world Id teleport. But lets say you can fill in the blanks in terms of boat and crew and whatever else. what would be the fastest route? Id love to know the slowest one too but Im aiming for the fastest. yes, all water. Thx!

tdw 09-05-2013 01:54 AM

..... from Siberia ... presuming coastal Siberia of course .... one could head off east, through the Berring Strait, down the west coast of America until breaking out to the Marquesas then Coconut it across to the Land of Oz. Probably wise to head off during the Northern Hemisphere summer.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...ur-summer.html

CalebD 09-05-2013 02:02 AM

Why on earth would you want to go to Oz?
"yeah thats not what I was looking for at all."

leathergoddessesofphobos 09-05-2013 02:52 AM

thanks tdw. I just pinned up a flat map against the wall. siberia is on the top left and australia bottom right so my son grabbed his toy boat and was trying to guestimate a very very long trip. He loves ships.