Was the freighter messing with me, or did I mess up? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: Was the freighter messing with me, or did I mess up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Your 10 degree changes were not nearly enough. If you are going to make a change of course, make a really significant one...
This is what I was thinking. If you're not going to stand on, if you're going to change your course to avoid a conflict, then it needs to be enough of a change that the folks on the bridge of the other vessel have absolutely no doubt that you are changing course. For that purpose, 10 degrees isn't really enough.

Oh yeah. And, absolutely no chance at all that he was "messing with you." Freighters are too big, too slow, and too expensive to operate for them to ever change course just to mess with anybody, let alone a little sailboat.

Last edited by denverd0n; 09-10-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Hi Minnesail, I know the area fairly well, and it is very odd indeed to have a freighter make a continual course change as you describe. The freighters all follow the well-charted shipping lanes. I assume they are mostly running on auto, with GPS coordinates driving their course changes. It would be very odd to have a helms person making erratic course changes. You and the freighter were running down-bound. The charts clearly indicate both up-bound and down-bound lanes. The location of your incident would normally have freighters running on a SE (~150 degree) course from Whitefish Pt. If it was doing something other than that, then I would indeed be concerned. There's a fair bit of space in the top of Whitefish bay, but not if freighters start moving willy-nilly.

I once heard the opposite correspondence come over VHF 68 when we were near Thunder Cape (top of Thunder Bay). Spoken in English, but in a thick East European accent, it went something this: "Little sailboat. Little sailboat, in the shipping lanes near Thunder Cape; Get out of the way!" (It was not us they were talking to, but it sure made me take notice.)

My attitude towards freighters is to stay out of their way. The shipping lanes are marked, and I usually have a lot more options than they do. They move very fast, even in confined waters, and are not very manoeuvrable. So far I've never seen one behaving as oddly as you describe. I think I would have made for the west shore (hard to starboard), and let it pass. If it was really behaving recklessly, I believe their are Seaway authorities you could report it to.
Yeah, I thought it was very odd that it would make any course changes at all. As someone else said every mile is $$$$$ to them.

Something that just occurred to me is that maybe they were having some sort of mechanical issue. Don't they generally run 12-15 knots? This one was going under 10.

Anyway, I think it's clear that I was driving like a dork. I should have either stood on and and held a steady predictable course, or if I was really worried I should have done as you said and gone hard to starboard to hug the west shore.

Lesson learned, I'll do better next time.
Old 09-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We deal with crossing traffic in the form of fast moving ferries (22-24 knots), bulk carriers and slow, big tows. It's always a bit nerve wracking.

This past summer we were on a steady bearing with a tug towing three barges.. a pretty long deviation for us if we had to 'duck' him. I attempted the call on the traffic channel and, as usual, got no response. However this time Victoria Traffic called me back and asked where we were.. and then informed me of the name of the tug. She then called the tug herself, got an immediate response, after which we communicated directly with the tug. He watched us for a while and called back to say that we'd probably be ahead, and if not he'd bear off the take out stern.

It was a great relief, and a happy moment.. I've never been able to successfully get that kind of give and take with these guys before.. from now on I'll call traffic directly.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-10-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Don't they generally run 12-15 knots? This one was going under 10.

If thats a lock coming up he might be timing for that. one great thing that prop chart plotter has that we dont have is a speed to target calculator. The put in the time they want to arrive at a waypoint and the computer updates them with the speed they need to get there exactly.

Have fun the rest of the trip

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-10-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I don't even know where to start with this
Can you point to the COLREGS in question?
Do keep in mind freighters are NOT constrained just because they are big

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the freighter has the "right of way" and sailboat best be moving its self out of way. freighter as least moveable vessel also has 500 ft of protection surrounding it, as per patriot act post uss coles....it also takes a lot longer to stop and start them. sailboats are recreational and need to get out of the way of the big boys.

sailboats are not magical things that require freighters and other merchant shipping to get out of way--it is the opposite--YOU get out of THEIR way. even when under sail..

as long as you see and continue to see the long side of the freighter you are fine--it is when you see the small pointy end only that you need to concern yourself with being run down. then get the f out of the way.

btw--when ye play chicken with a freighter the freighter wins--and he cannot even visually see you. he does see you on his radar
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-10-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
If thats a lock coming up he might be timing for that. one great thing that prop chart plotter has that we dont have is a speed to target calculator. The put in the time they want to arrive at a waypoint and the computer updates them with the speed they need to get there exactly.

Have fun the rest of the trip
I had not thought of that. Why rush to lock if you're just going to have to wait in line?

And thanks! But I'm back, this was a couple weeks ago, I'm just going over things in my head trying to figure the things I did right and the things I did wrong. So much to learn.
Old 09-10-2013

Main thing is communication.
Imagine you are the ship captain. He has no idea if you see him, if you know you are stand-on, if you know what that means, where you are going, if you have ever sailed a boat before last week, or anything else.
Ship XXX, this sailing vessel XYZ 3 miles off your port bow. We are bound for ZZZ and are planning to hold this course. Will that work out for you? goes a LONG way to making everyone comfortable.

Where I live I have to go a while to have any rights. Near me the ships are confined in a narrow channel. They will run aground if they try and avoid you, and as one unlucky sailor found out, they'll send you the bill to if they need towed back into the channel. A lot of my local comms are like "Ship XXX, this SV Coquina 3.5 miles ahead of you bearing 120 degrees. I will be tacking before crossing the channel and I show that puts us well clear". I can be exact as to what ship I am calling and the range/bearing thanks to AIS

Old 09-10-2013

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
I don't even know where to start with this
Can you point to the COLREGS in question?
Do keep in mind freighters are NOT constrained just because they are big
Thank you. I thought it was messed up on COLREGS and then 500 foot.thing. First of all that applies to US navy ships and secondly this was in Canadian waters... Coast guard rules would not apply.

There is no such thing as right of way... It is stand off and give way....big difference and sailors should not only understand that but use the right the terminology.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 09-10-2013

Yeah - "right of way" can give the impression that you have no role in collision avoidance. "Stand On" is a newer way to say it. Last Clear Chance will get you if you try to press your rights to the point of hitting someone.

Old 09-10-2013

mattt is on a distinguished road

I know that our shipping channel is limited and large vessels will run aground if they stray from it, giving them stand-on in pretty much all situations.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.