Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013

Uricanejack is on a distinguished road
Re: traditional navigators

Traditional navigation was practiced in many was by many peoples for thousand’s of years.
Most was down to having been there before, Though there was always a few individuals who would go forth and explore where no one had gone before. Probably a lot did not come back while we remember those who did.
If they were wealthy powerful aristocratic or supported by the crown or the church.
For most they just came and went and nobody paid any attention.
The Phoenicians
The Greeks
The Romans
The Vikings
had no compass.
They knew the stars.
The had a means of determining angles.
They knew the main island and weather patterns. Currents. They could recognise hazards sometimes. Or they did not come back.
The Arabs knew of the monsoons, as did the Indians and the Indonesians
Seasonally trading by Dhow to East Africa and India was still going on until the 1970’s and early 80’s
Indonesian Prows were still trading to the island back then.

My Uncle, went to sea in a sailing fishing vessel in the early 30’s at the age of 14. He had been fishing as a boy in open row boats. Finding his way by traditional local knowledge and methods.

He later went to sea as an Ordinary Seaman
In 1942 he was torpedoed on a ship carrying Iron ore, He had just come of watch as QM, and was near a lifeboat. He cut the rope section of the falls with an axe. Picked up 14 other survivors.

He later served on another ship as QM. I cant remember the name, approaching the west of Scotland on a dark night.
He told the officer of the watch the were out of position and heading for the rocks. He could hear the seas breaking. And feel the change in the ships motion.
The OOW did not believe him, he left the bridge to call the Capt. who did. And ordered the ship stopped immediately they turned 180 and steamed slowly on a reciprocal course.
At first light they were just a couple of miles off the Torran Rocks at the south end of the Isle of Mull.

He next time out he sailed as the Uncertified 3/O.
He retired as a MM and Captain.
I knew him as an old man.
He came fishing with my Dad brother and I in a small open boat. We were fishing in or local water with no thoughts to navigation lifejackets or anything but fishing.
We head for an area we often caught fish. Just before we got there he suddenly sat up and said we have to get out of here were on to of a rock. There was a big swell at the time but not a lot of wind.
He grabbed the other set of oars and pulled hard with me until we were in his judgement we cleared.
He showed us the difference in the wave pattern that had altered him. Even though we assured him there was no rock. But we avoided the spot the rest of the night.
The next day my dad went and invested in a chart.
We looked at the chart and confirmed there certainly was a rock only a fathom deep at low water.
We had fished over it many times though probably not right at low water with a big swell before that day.

I cant claim to have any of the kind of knowledge he had. But I certainly believe it existed.
Slayer likes this.

Last edited by Uricanejack; 10-05-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I've had many experiences where the water just didn't feel right or days of steering by the waves in ice. Smelling the land way offshore. I don't doubt real sailors with a lifetime of survival experience did stuff we put down as fanciful folklore .No doubt there were some losers, we lose about a 100 thousand to the gods of the high way each year but still blithely drive to church or pub.
Old 11-29-2013

faiaoaehe is on a distinguished road

I think what you are referring to is the practice of Bahamian navigation. This is a system where the locals use the water color to navigate with, dark blue, light blue, brown. They judge the waters by color and navigate around coral heads based on the color. There are none /few aids to navigation as we have in the US.

The Last Navigator, on Pacific Navigation the natives use stars, animal migration habits, birds, as natural navigational aids. Their is also a great deal of knowledge passed on, from generation to generation.

Where my boat is anchored, we know if the birds walking there, you dont want to go there.

Surprising how many people dont notice things like that.
Old 12-01-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

There are times when watching the jet planes can help.

Down
Old 12-01-2013
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

They're still doing it in Polynesia:
Hawaiian Voyaging Traditions
Polynesian Voyaging Society

Hokulea is going on a circumnavigation; check the pages out. Good stuff.