SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Berry Islands - Inside Route?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  night0wl 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm now planning my first long cruise since we had the kiddo. We're thinking Bimini + Berrys over a 10 day period in May 2014 departing from SE Florida. I'm anticipating an average of 6 knots boat speed during the passage.

Day 0/1 - overnight passage from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini (60 miles due to current)
Day 1 - rest in Bimini (Bimini Sands)
Day 2 - Depart Bimini, do the Sapona..then anchor east Gun Cay (25 miles)
Day 3 - Depart early and make easting as far as possible. Anchor on the Banks. (50 miles)
Day 4 - arrive at Berrys (40-50 miles)
Here's where it gets interesting. I keep poring over the charts (electronic) and I see very skinny and moderate water on the inside of the Berrys. My charts say (2-9)...*QUITE A HUGE* tidal discrepancy.

I'd like to know if anyone has a gpx waypoint file or kml of a *RECENT* route someone took on the inside path. I draw 4'9" on our Beneteau, so I'm thinking it can be done by visual sighting of coral heads...however, a GPX track would be amazing resource.

Day 4-7 Berrys (various anchorages)
Day 8 - Depart anchoring on the banks as far as possible (60 miles)
Day 9 - Anchor off of Bimini (30 miles)
Day 10 - Arrive home in Fort Lauderdale (50 miles)

See less See more
#4 ·
I would be surprised if you get much in the way of GPS waypoints. Just get some good polarized sunglasses and go.
By the way, last time I was there, about 5 years ago. Little Harbor had shoaled so much you could barely get a dinghy in, but Flo's Conch Bar was still going strong.

#5 ·
I guess when I go, I'll make sure to keep my GPX tracks and upload them to Active Captain.

Thats good info about Little Harbour, that was one of the anchorages I wanted to go to. I've only been to Great Stirrup and that was via Cruise Ship over a decade ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.