Nautical miles per season - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 10-21-2013 Thread Starter

Nautical miles per season

I don't keep a detailed log book but I do keep all of the GPS tracks off of my handheld chartplotter. At the end of last season I calculate total nm under the keel. Since we bought the boat in July and pulled it mid-late Nov. we only put 200 nm on last season. This season we just crossed 600 nm.

Anyone keep track of nm per season? If so, how many this season? Anyone set mental goals for total distance? We primarily day sail and overnight weekends with a big trip or two sometime in the summer. Typical season runs April through mid-Nov.

Josh
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-21-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Re: Nautical miles per season

I don't really keep track, though I should.

We did 700 nm in July and another 200+ in September in our once a decade extra long cruising season (I got a bonus vacation period this year). With the rest of my year I should be somewhere in the 1200-1400nm range total.

Not very impressive if one is a year round cruiser with ocean crossings mixed in, but not bad for a family of coastal cruisers with full time jobs.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.
post #3 of 30 Old 10-22-2013
Remember you're a womble

I averaged 500nm per year in the previous two seasons, not bad considering it was almost exclusively daysails. A lot less this year, new (old) boat, work needing done, crazy schedule at real work too. I'd be surprised if I have done 200 this year.
Of course I've done a few hundred racing this year too on OPBs.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 30 Old 10-22-2013
Commodore

This year I've only got about 70 miles this year in San Diego Bay. I always have my chartplotter on and record the starting miles and ending miles and jot a number in the log. I started taking teak decks off my boat in April and labored the summer away, only motoring a tenth of a mile to the pump out dock each week. Nonskid has rolled and I'm putting everything back together and hope to get more miles under the keel in November/December.

Invest in experiences, not things.
Sailing with Nate, Natalie and Sullivan at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-22-2013

7000 miles in 7 years, i hope to put as least 20000 on MAGIC my p-32 as then my purchase cost would be less than a buck a mile
post #6 of 30 Old 10-22-2013

Only about 175-200 nm in my first season. I didn't accomplish many of the maintenance tasks that I wanted to do this year. Life is in the way, and I don't know how to get it out of the way.

1977 C&C 27 MKIII
Sea Mist
post #7 of 30 Old 10-22-2013 Thread Starter

I hadn't thought about dollars/nm as a metric. I think I would rather not know. Whatever the dollars/nm value is, its worth it.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-22-2013

I sit in current at my dock so my log is waaaayyyyy off.

Lessons learned are opportunities earned.
post #9 of 30 Old 10-22-2013

I'm over 500 miles for this season (probably close to 600) which includes a 310 mile, 9 day cruise on the Bay. Lots of day sails and Wed night races. BUT I also racked up some miles on OPB including doublehanding the Marion to Bermuda race, (645 miles) plus an upcoming delivery.

CS 36M DIANTHUS
post #10 of 30 Old 10-22-2013
PCP

I don't count them. Thousands for sure. Just to have the boat repaired on a shipyard that I trust I have made an extra 600Nm (and will do another 600 net year just to get back where I was).

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.