Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See more at - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See mor

For future reference, for you guys not getting anything on Channel 16 in ports.. While channel 16 is a channel to monitor for traffic and safety/emergency, it is not usually used for in port traffic. Next time try channel 13 as it is a dedicated traffic channel for everyone, bridges included. Also, Vessel Traffic (VTS) is commonly on 5 and/or 12. Also VTS can give you vessel info, local traffic channels(if not 13) , tidal/current status, and vessel traffic in and out. When in port we turn 16 down more so we can pay more attention to 13 as it holds precedence with traffic situations. But if you can and have the ability, monitoring 16 and 13 is best.

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
A few weeks ago in San Francisco Bay near the Port of Oakland, a pilot boat with a container ship kept blasting his horn over and over. There were lots of sailboats around, but apparently one was giving him real fits. About 10 minutes later he was on the radio calling CG requesting that they inform the skipper about the need to get out of the way. Though I'm sure the pilots would enjoy running over some of these boats, it's just too easy pickings. The real challenge is to NOT run us down.
I am sure they would prefer not to run you down. Eventually, they would have to stop or slow down and it would, no doubt, create extra paper work for them.

For anyone considering "challenging" them because you think you have the "right of way", I suggest you make sure your will is in order.

Paul T
Faster and xymotic like this.
Old 11-12-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
A few weeks ago in San Francisco Bay near the Port of Oakland, a pilot boat with a container ship kept blasting his horn over and over. There were lots of sailboats around, but apparently one was giving him real fits. About 10 minutes later he was on the radio calling CG requesting that they inform the skipper about the need to get out of the way. Though I'm sure the pilots would enjoy running over some of these boats, it's just too easy pickings. The real challenge is to NOT run us down.
Let's clear this up, no merchant marine officer or pilot ever would love to run someone over much less a collision with another vessel. We can lose our jobs for life, not to mention the mental trauma if life is lost from their action. That being said, if a sailboat or any vessel(fishing, trawling) is impeding traffic within a traffic separation scheme they are at fault. That is why they have those lanes so everyone has their own area to prevent collisions and traffic issues. If you aren't conducting business and/or have a draft that requires you to stay in the channel, you have no business being there.

jrd22, xymotic and DJR351 like this.
Old 11-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
I am sure they would prefer not to run you down. Eventually, they would have to stop or slow down and it would, no doubt, create extra paper work for them.

For anyone considering "challenging" them because you think you have the "right of way", I suggest you make sure your will is in order.

Paul T
Humm, stop is not an option. A container ship would take a looooong time to stop or even reducing meaningfully its speed.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Let's clear this up, no merchant marine officer or pilot ever would love to run someone over much less a collision with another vessel. We can lose our jobs for life, not to mention the mental trauma if life is lost from their action. That being said, if a sailboat or any vessel(fishing, trawling) is impeding traffic within a traffic separation scheme they are at fault. That is why they have those lanes so everyone has their own area to prevent collisions and traffic issues. If you aren't conducting business and/or have a draft that requires you to stay in the channel, you have no business being there.

Completely agree. It was a lame joke. This wasn't a TSS though. It was an inland navigation channel and there's no way to sail SF Bay without going through these areas. Getting a blast from a pilot boat about your intentions is embarrassing, but hopefully it makes you better at paying attention. Getting repeatedly blasted to the point that the CG has to be called is real ignorance and very dangerous to all of us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 11-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Humm, stop is not an option. A container ship would take a looooong time to stop or even reducing meaningfully its speed.

Regards

Paulo
I was thinking that, conditions permitting, open sea room, etc, they may stop to render aid, if needed. In a harbor, they would probably just proceed to their intended anchorage.

In any event, stay out of their way unless you want to assume water temperature.

Paul T
Old 11-14-2013

Just remembered this. Happened in an area that we used to fish in a lot:

Tanker Owners Admit Evidence Indicates Ship Hit Fishing Boat - Los Angeles Times

Paul T

Last edited by dabnis; 11-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
IMHO the law of tonnage trumps COLREGs. Rules don't matter if you're dead.

But, also IMHO the maritime law expert is missing the narrow channel argument. For a tug pushing a barge, I'd interpret San Diego bay as a narrow channel, and give the rights to the tug/barge on the push.
While this is a "common sense" approach, the other boat needs to know if you are going to change course, even if to get out of his way. The Colregs specify what vessel is sand on, and they are not supposed to change course. Doing so even in an effort to give the commercial vessel more room could put you into jeopardy and in an accident situation they could say to you "you were were sand on vessel, why did you alter course?" That would put you at fault. The reasoning behind the regs there to make your actions predictable, so be careful, trying to give more space. Not saying not to do it just communicate your intentions.
nolatom likes this.
Old 12-03-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Sailing on Chesapeake Bay a few months ago at night. Saw a southbound tug towing a barge. It was pretty apparent that things were going to be close. I hailed the tug on 13 and said it looks like we have a situation here, how do things look to you. (figuring he'd be able to very accurately assess things on his radar) His response was "more importantly, how do things look to YOU!

I said I'd duck behind his tow and inquired how far back it was. Didn't hurt me and didn't delay him. Couldn't have cost me more than a couple of minutes.

Remember CH. 13 is your friend!
Faster and oysterman23 like this.
Old 12-03-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Sailing on Chesapeake Bay a few months ago at night. Saw a southbound tug towing a barge. It was pretty apparent that things were going to be close. I hailed the tug on 13 and said it looks like we have a situation here, how do things look to you. (figuring he'd be able to very accurately assess things on his radar) His response was "more importantly, how do things look to YOU!

I said I'd duck behind his tow and inquired how far back it was. Didn't hurt me and didn't delay him. Couldn't have cost me more than a couple of minutes.

Remember CH. 13 is your friend!
He was likely surprised (pleasantly) to hear from you. But that is the best way to do it, make contact, and see if they have a preferred plan, and if not make your intentions known. He might have had a different thing in mind, but once you communicate you both know what to expect. Seems there are a lot of push button navigators out there. You know set the chart plotter and go down below and fix some dinner and a drink and get upset when you hit the buoy you used as a way-point!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.