Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013

genieskip is on a distinguished road
Re: iPad - the charging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmes View Post
Yes, but I'm tackling one issue at a time.
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to tackle one thing at a time when they are interrelated. If you need lights then you need a basic electrical system, which can be extended to cover the iPad problem and bilge pump problems.

By the way, have a small solar charger on my 12' dingy which I use to get to my moored boat. It keeps the battery charged very well and has no controller. I don't run the outboard enough in the short hop to the big boat to charge the battery but the solar keeps the starter and the bilge pump for the open dingy and the running lights operating well for the whole summer.
smackdaddy likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yes, but I'm tackling one issue at a time.
Spending money and time on a chartplotter setup before your boat is ready to sail (no nav lights, no bilge pump, etc.) doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Do the important stuff first.
Atlas and Alex W like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-26-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieskip View Post
By the way, have a small solar charger on my 12' dingy which I use to get to my moored boat. It keeps the battery charged very well and has no controller. I don't run the outboard enough in the short hop to the big boat to charge the battery but the solar keeps the starter and the bilge pump for the open dingy and the running lights operating well for the whole summer.
If your bilge pump or loads run enough you can get away with it but if you go without rain or don't use loads for a period of time even small panels can and will over charge and damage batteries. I see this over and over again. I see it so much I finally made a video to bring more awareness to it... Web sites such as the West Advisor are so wrong on this that it gets downright scary.....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
genieskip (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013

tarmes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Spending money and time on a chartplotter setup before your boat is ready to sail (no nav lights, no bilge pump, etc.) doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Do the important stuff first.
It's not quite as mad as it seems:

* I don't need a bilge pump because there's no bilge
* I will be installing Nav Lights, but it'll be a while before I'll be navigating at night, so that's not an immediate priority, but it does need thinking about now for the future. For the small size of boat I just need a tricolour at the top of the mast.

It's a very small boat and I don't wish to be too excessive. There are currently no other electrical requirement at the moment other than the iPad. The log runs off of some AA batteries as do the interior LED lights.
Old 11-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
If your bilge pump or loads run enough you can get away with it but if you go without rain or don't use loads for a period of time even small panels can and will over charge and damage batteries. I see this over and over again. I see it so much I finally made a video to bring more awareness to it... Web sites such as the West Advisor are so wrong on this that it gets downright scary.....
Hi,

What set-up would you recommend for my use case? I basically need to run an iPad and some LED nav lights and have the battery charged by a solar panel.

It would be nice to have room for extendibility in the future, just in case.

Regards,

Tim
Old 11-26-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
It's not quite as mad as it seems:

* I don't need a bilge pump because there's no bilge
* I will be installing Nav Lights, but it'll be a while before I'll be navigating at night, so that's not an immediate priority, but it does need thinking about now for the future. For the small size of boat I just need a tricolour at the top of the mast.

It's a very small boat and I don't wish to be too excessive. There are currently no other electrical requirement at the moment other than the iPad. The log runs off of some AA batteries as do the interior LED lights.
Oh, okay - that makes sense. So it's just a small daysailer. Carry on then!

Old 11-26-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Hi,

What set-up would you recommend for my use case? I basically need to run an iPad and some LED nav lights and have the battery charged by a solar panel.

It would be nice to have room for extendibility in the future, just in case.

Regards,

Tim
Small battery - group 24 or 27
Main Battery Fuse
Battery Switch
Small 6 position DC panel
12V Outlet
Small 20-30W panel with PWM controller

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 11-26-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Main Battery Fuse
Battery Switch
12V Outlet
Main - I guess now that I understand his boat a bit better, my question is why he needs a solar panel at all. If it's on a trailer and he's only daysailing it, can't he just pull the battery and charge it at home?

Old 11-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
If it's on a trailer and he's only daysailing it, can't he just pull the battery and charge it at home?
I'd like to be able to take it away for a few days sailing at a time, perhaps a weeks worth. Charging in that way may therefore not be an option.

I could potentially charge the battery using shore power in a port, but then the electrical system gets rather more complicated and expensive.

Last edited by tarmes; 11-26-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2013

Quote:
Main Battery Fuse
Battery Switch
12V Outlet
Please excuse my ignorance of electrical systems, but how can I be sure that the the system can keep the iPad running? If would be nice if the the panel could deliver enough power to the battery to charge the iPad even when it's being used.