iPad - the charging conundrum - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.


Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 11-26-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 287
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
genieskip is on a distinguished road
Re: iPad - the charging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmes View Post
Yes, but I'm tackling one issue at a time.
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to tackle one thing at a time when they are interrelated. If you need lights then you need a basic electrical system, which can be extended to cover the iPad problem and bilge pump problems.

By the way, have a small solar charger on my 12' dingy which I use to get to my moored boat. It keeps the battery charged very well and has no controller. I don't run the outboard enough in the short hop to the big boat to charge the battery but the solar keeps the starter and the bilge pump for the open dingy and the running lights operating well for the whole summer.
smackdaddy likes this.
__________________
genieskip
Northeast
J40
1991
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 11-26-2013
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,999
Thanks: 81
Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 9
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: iPad - the charging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmes View Post
Yes, but I'm tackling one issue at a time.
Spending money and time on a chartplotter setup before your boat is ready to sail (no nav lights, no bilge pump, etc.) doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Do the important stuff first.
Atlas and Alex W like this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 11-26-2013
Maine Sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,286
Thanks: 10
Thanked 117 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: iPad - the charging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieskip View Post
By the way, have a small solar charger on my 12' dingy which I use to get to my moored boat. It keeps the battery charged very well and has no controller. I don't run the outboard enough in the short hop to the big boat to charge the battery but the solar keeps the starter and the bilge pump for the open dingy and the running lights operating well for the whole summer.
If your bilge pump or loads run enough you can get away with it but if you go without rain or don't use loads for a period of time even small panels can and will over charge and damage batteries. I see this over and over again. I see it so much I finally made a video to bring more awareness to it... Web sites such as the West Advisor are so wrong on this that it gets downright scary.....

__________________
______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
genieskip (11-26-2013)
  #14  
Old 11-26-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
tarmes is on a distinguished road
Re: iPad - the charging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Spending money and time on a chartplotter setup before your boat is ready to sail (no nav lights, no bilge pump, etc.) doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Do the important stuff first.
It's not quite as mad as it seems:

* I don't need a bilge pump because there's no bilge
* I will be installing Nav Lights, but it'll be a while before I'll be navigating at night, so that's not an immediate priority, but it does need thinking about now for the future. For the small size of boat I just need a tricolour at the top of the mast.

It's a very small boat and I don't wish to be too excessive. There are currently no other electrical requirement at the moment other than the iPad. The log runs off of some AA batteries as do the interior LED lights.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 11-26-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
tarmes is on a distinguished road
Re: iPad - the charging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
If your bilge pump or loads run enough you can get away with it but if you go without rain or don't use loads for a period of time even small panels can and will over charge and damage batteries. I see this over and over again. I see it so much I finally made a video to bring more awareness to it... Web sites such as the West Advisor are so wrong on this that it gets downright scary.....
Hi,

What set-up would you recommend for my use case? I basically need to run an iPad and some LED nav lights and have the battery charged by a solar panel.

It would be nice to have room for extendibility in the future, just in case.

Regards,

Tim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 11-26-2013
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,999
Thanks: 81
Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 9
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: iPad - the charging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmes View Post
It's not quite as mad as it seems:

* I don't need a bilge pump because there's no bilge
* I will be installing Nav Lights, but it'll be a while before I'll be navigating at night, so that's not an immediate priority, but it does need thinking about now for the future. For the small size of boat I just need a tricolour at the top of the mast.

It's a very small boat and I don't wish to be too excessive. There are currently no other electrical requirement at the moment other than the iPad. The log runs off of some AA batteries as do the interior LED lights.
Oh, okay - that makes sense. So it's just a small daysailer. Carry on then!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 11-26-2013
Maine Sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,286
Thanks: 10
Thanked 117 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: iPad - the charging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmes View Post
Hi,

What set-up would you recommend for my use case? I basically need to run an iPad and some LED nav lights and have the battery charged by a solar panel.

It would be nice to have room for extendibility in the future, just in case.

Regards,

Tim
Small battery - group 24 or 27
Main Battery Fuse
Battery Switch
Small 6 position DC panel
12V Outlet
Small 20-30W panel with PWM controller
__________________
______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 11-26-2013
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,999
Thanks: 81
Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 9
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: iPad - the charging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Small battery - group 24 or 27
Main Battery Fuse
Battery Switch
Small 6 position DC panel
12V Outlet
Small 20-30W panel with PWM controller
Main - I guess now that I understand his boat a bit better, my question is why he needs a solar panel at all. If it's on a trailer and he's only daysailing it, can't he just pull the battery and charge it at home?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 11-26-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
tarmes is on a distinguished road
Re: iPad - the charging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
If it's on a trailer and he's only daysailing it, can't he just pull the battery and charge it at home?
I'd like to be able to take it away for a few days sailing at a time, perhaps a weeks worth. Charging in that way may therefore not be an option.

I could potentially charge the battery using shore power in a port, but then the electrical system gets rather more complicated and expensive.

Last edited by tarmes; 11-26-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 11-26-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
tarmes is on a distinguished road
Re: iPad - the charging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Small battery - group 24 or 27
Main Battery Fuse
Battery Switch
Small 6 position DC panel
12V Outlet
Small 20-30W panel with PWM controller
Please excuse my ignorance of electrical systems, but how can I be sure that the the system can keep the iPad running? If would be nice if the the panel could deliver enough power to the battery to charge the iPad even when it's being used.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing? NewportNewbie Apps & Authors 71 02-10-2014 03:36 AM
Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum Rhys05 Gear & Maintenance 25 02-02-2013 09:38 PM
Solar Conundrum GilStump Gear & Maintenance 13 07-28-2012 02:34 AM
A Nice Little Conundrum tdw General Discussion (sailing related) 66 06-21-2011 03:21 PM
A Conundrum, without an Answer Jasper Windvane General Discussion (sailing related) 50 11-17-2009 09:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.