SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Sail From Nova Scotia To The Bahamas (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/112457-sail-nova-scotia-bahamas.html)

smotzy2005 12-17-2013 01:54 PM

Sail From Nova Scotia To The Bahamas

Hi I am interested in making the sail from Halifax, Nova Scotia to The Bahamas none stop. I would have a crew of four on a 50ft ketch. What time of year would work best and how long would it take?

FSMike 12-17-2013 04:38 PM

Re: Sail From Nova Scotia To The Bahamas

With all due respect, hire a professional captain to make the trip and ask him.

Seaduction 12-17-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smotzy2005 (Post 1226561)
Hi I am interested in making the sail from Halifax, Nova Scotia to The Bahamas none stop. I would have a crew of four on a 50ft ketch. What time of year would work best and how long would it take?

Leave after atlantic hurricane season. Depends on how long you stay in Bermuda. Two weeks roughly.:) Oh, welcome to the Sailnet Forum.

priscilla 12-17-2013 06:49 PM

If this isn't just a death wish, and your serious, you should provide us with some imfo. on this 50 footer. The design, rig, nav.gear, sails etc. You will get good helpfull imfo. on this net from some very experienced sailors,so give us some details. There is one thing...most likely half of your crew will be sea sick an not much help. Hey welcome to the net!

azguy 12-17-2013 06:58 PM

You're fighting the gulf stream the whole way, ouch--

paulk 12-17-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azguy (Post 1227553)
You're fighting the gulf stream the whole way, ouch--

Crossing it might be a better idea. Where to cross might depend upon finding a favorable meander. It is a pretty long trip. From Halifax it may take a week. A crew of just four is going to get very tired unless the weather is extremely fine and favorable. If you wait until the end of hurricane season, this is extremely unlikely.

blowinstink 12-17-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priscilla (Post 1227489)
If this isn't just a death wish, and your serious, you should provide us with some imfo. on this 50 footer. The design, rig, nav.gear, sails etc. You will get good helpfull imfo. on this net from some very experienced sailors,so give us some details. There is one thing...most likely half of your crew will be sea sick an not much help. Hey welcome to the net!

How is any of that info going to help you describe the best time of year to leave and how long it will take? That is all the guy asked . . . no one has come close to discussing either question.

Hey - welcome to Sailnet! :)

Uricanejack 12-17-2013 09:00 PM

In a nutshell what you are suggesting is going the wrong way.
Nova Scotia to Bahamas is pretty much against the prevailing wind and current.
So expect a long hard slog to windward. Sailing almost twice the distance.
Or you could go down the coast. you might still find you are motoring a lot.
You could go as near directly South as the wind will allow until you pick up the trades. Hoping you wont find yourself becalmed.
In short you might find it easier to cross the Atlantic sail down to the Canaries and cross the Atlantic again.
Personally I would hug the coast.
Depending upon your draft, try the Inter-costal Waterway. I don’t know it. I just think I would enjoy it.

As for time of year. Not now seriously nasty of Nova Scotia.
Wait for Spring try to get it done by Summer.
Hurricane Season starts in June. My insurance which is good for the whole coast of North America specifically forbids sailing in area's subject to named storms from then till they are over in November.
My own opinion is early season storms tend to stay further south going through the Caribbean more likely to hit Bahamas area later in the season..

If I was doing a delivery key questions would be fuel capacity and speed. Id expect to be motoring most of the way if I went direct non stop.

hpeer 12-17-2013 09:55 PM

I've sailed, well....motored from Halifax to Delaware twice in two years. Shelbourne to Marblehead and down the coast.

Kinda says it all.

A more windward boat would do better. Still a slog.

smotzy2005 01-11-2014 10:14 AM

With all due respect FSMike I have been sailing for over thirty years in the Great Lakes and have grown up around boats my hole life. I find your comment very insulting, I know much prep goes into a voyage like this. Thanks to all the others for there input I have lots of time for the voyage and think I will fallow the Gulf Stream to the Azores, then head to Europe south to the Canaries. From the Canaries I would like to join The ARC and head to the Caribbean. Take my time and enjoy the adventure.