Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007

commando57 is on a distinguished road
Remember !

You can also sail a Portaboat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is a factory option. IIRC, it uses leebords, rather than a daggerboard, since the boat has no daggerboard trunk. The Lateen rigged sail is only offered for the three larger sizes and the 8'6" porta-bote has a cat-rigged setup available for it. Believe both rigs are designed by Rolly Trasker.

I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand View Post
I recently got some Portaboat brochures. One of them shows a photo of a Portaboat with a lateen rig sail. I noticed this image on their website as well. I didn't see a price option for this. Does anyone know if this is a 'factory option' or is it a DIY modification done by an owner?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-29-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
...and they fold up nice on the top of an RV! (g)
Old 10-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Does that mean you're getting one for use with your RV??
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
...and they fold up nice on the top of an RV! (g)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-29-2007

SailorPam is on a distinguished road
We bought our 10 footer three years ago. It took my husband a while to overcome the looks. I'll admit she isn't the prettiest girl at the dance, but she hauls lots of stuff, rows well, motors well with our 4 hp 4 stroke Yammy, and can be beached anywhere, including the volcanic tuft shores around our lake. We set ours up when we launch in the spring and dissassemble when we haul out in the fall. The assembly/dissassembly is a bit like wrestling an anaconda, but it provides lots of entertainment for the masses. I've not tried it on board the mother ship, but one of the criteria of the next boat will the ability to do so. When folded up she's as svelte as can be. We've got the "modern" plastic components and the only issue is that at the end of this season we've started to see a small crack on the middle seat that everyone uses when stepping in from a sailboat. We'll epoxy that this winter. Otherwise the parts are holding up well and it's left out in all weather, our season sees snow to 100+ temps with 40-50 degree swings within 24 hours common. We've towed her around the Puget Sound as well without problems, but I'd like to try the maneuver with raising the stern and towing with just the bow dragging. I like the stability too. Even though the floor is "soft", it's because it gets it's stability from it's displacement characteristics. Dave & I can both stand up and throw gear from it without a problem.

Last edited by SailorPam; 10-29-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2007
Telstar 28

SailorPam-

My experience has been the plastic seats and transom don't last as long and aren't as durable as the older wooden ones were. I have one of the boats that had the plastic seats, which I'm re-fabricating out of plywood and fiberglass, and the wooden transom. My friend has one with a plastic transom model of the boat, and his transom had to be re-built, and my boat is a good deal older than his.

If you're going to tow the Porta-bote, a towing bridle makes a lot of sense. I’ve also added padeyes to the bow, about four feet from the bow on either side, and to the rear corners as hardpoints to attach lines and such on my friend's boat and plan to do the same to mine. The two padeyes on the sides are used for a towing bridle.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-30-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
My only current complaint as a potential buyer is that it is difficult to get current prices...the website seems evasive on this point.
Old 10-30-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Old 10-30-2007
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
My only current complaint as a potential buyer is that it is difficult to get current prices...the website seems evasive on this point.
Going through the same thing. Found their prices on Cabella's though.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 10-30-2007
Telstar 28

Don't believe they actually ever had prices on their website. Believe the only way you get prices is by asking for the price/infopack.

Telstar 28
New England