Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
She made me laugh too. But very quietly... so she wouldn't hear me.... otherwise I would have gone swimming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2008

mcollins07 is on a distinguished road
Old Porta bote

I recently purchased a Porta bote that had been sitting in the water at the marina unused. This one is a smaller version, or dinghy. The transom is not square as the ones on their website. Does anyone have one of this model? How old is it?

Has anyone had a factory referbish on an old porta-bote?
Old 05-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You've got a double-ended portabote, and they're probably about 15 years old or so. The only downside to them is that you can't really mount an outboard on it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-06-2008

Triquetra is on a distinguished road
I am very happy with my 10' Portabote, which I bought used from a monohull sailor that did not have room aboard to assemble/disassemble it, and my trampolines make a good work area to do this. Folded, I use it as a sunscreen, though I have a custom cover for the Portabote, and it is out of the way while I am sailing. I agree with SD about the plastic seats, and to make matters worse, my seats are black, so can get quite hot. I also had a leak at the fold near the transom, but I found that silicone sealer takes care of that when it happens. It is much lighter than most inflatables, and a friend of mine has the same one I have and it flys with his 5HP engine. I haven't invested in a motor for it yet (since the exercize is good for me anyway ), but it rows very well.
Old 05-06-2008
Telstar 28

The major difference between a Porta-bote and an inflatable is that the inflatable will generally have far more cargo carrying capacity for the LOA than the porta-bote will. I have enough space on the ama deck to store the boat in its folded form. While it might be a bit more difficult for someone to unfold the boat on a monohull, it can be done, as I know several monohulls that use a portabote as a dinghy.

As I stated previously, the things to watch out for are the plastic seats and transom failing on the newer boats. The older wooden seats and transom seem to hold up much better, especially if you've gone the extra step and fiberglassed over them. I'm in the process of building new seats for my boat, since the plastic ones are finally starting to fail. As Triquetra pointed out the stock seats are black and heat up like a bastage... and the new seats are going to be a very light grey or white. I also have to take the transom of my boat apart and fiberglass it. I'll be using either 3/4" plywood or 3/4" foam to make the seats up, so strength and durability won't be an issue.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-06-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
SD, have you any links to how such seats are constructed? Obviously, it's not a wildly difficult task, as templates can be made from the existing plastic seats, but I would like to see how others have handled attached the offset seat supports to the new wooden boards, and how the edges of the boards (which are also angled and rather thin) have been dealt with. I have considered that making a board with a through-bolted aluminum length of 1/4" bar stock (with appropriate clevis pin hole) would work.

I bought my 10' Portabote from a guy on this list, and I assembled it on the weekend but have yet to get it wet. Unfortunately, I forgot his assembly instructions and it took me half-an-hour of comical grunting, but I can see where I can cut this time in half. I believe I'm fortunate in that it's a lightly used "intermediate" model, with the wooden transom and the plastic seats, so if the plastic seats fail, I could simply make wooden substitutes.

I have a Honda 2HP four-stroke and I may put it in the water as early as this afternoon if the rain clears off. I'll post "results" after that. I do know that even inverted on the foredeck, it doesn't take up a vast amount of room. Folded up, it's really nothing lashed to the rail, or it would easily mount on the pilothouse roof.
Old 05-06-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I have a Honda 2HP four-stroke and I may put it in the water as early as this afternoon if the rain clears off. I'll post "results" after that. I do know that even inverted on the foredeck, it doesn't take up a vast amount of room. Folded up, it's really nothing lashed to the rail, or it would easily mount on the pilothouse roof.
When we first started using ours, I anticipated that we would assemble it for the season and then leave it stowed on deck upside down. It actually assembles and disassembles so easily, that we break it down after each trip and tie it to the lifelines. Takes five minutes for the two of us to put it together and pitch it over the side. With a 3 h.p. Johnson, it will get me and the dog up on a plane. I ran around to the south side of the island we were anchored on this past weekend to load up an additional 30 lbs of firewood and we got on a plane on the way back too. I wasn't sure if this was going to be our final dinghy or not, but we're two very satisfied customers right now and I think this will be the one we go cruising with.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 05-06-2008
Telstar 28

Valiente-

When I start to make the seats, I'll post the drawings I use to maket them for you.

SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
SD, have you any links to how such seats are constructed? Obviously, it's not a wildly difficult task, as templates can be made from the existing plastic seats, but I would like to see how others have handled attached the offset seat supports to the new wooden boards, and how the edges of the boards (which are also angled and rather thin) have been dealt with. I have considered that making a board with a through-bolted aluminum length of 1/4" bar stock (with appropriate clevis pin hole) would work.

I bought my 10' Portabote from a guy on this list, and I assembled it on the weekend but have yet to get it wet. Unfortunately, I forgot his assembly instructions and it took me half-an-hour of comical grunting, but I can see where I can cut this time in half. I believe I'm fortunate in that it's a lightly used "intermediate" model, with the wooden transom and the plastic seats, so if the plastic seats fail, I could simply make wooden substitutes.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-06-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, SD. Maybe I can "field-test" a mock-up for you. I think the biggest issue would be figuring out how to affix those seat legs and how to affix whatever seat edge is chosen to the seat itself. Wood won't work as even teak shims will either rot or split in those metal "spreader slots"...which is why I'm thinking bar stock with multiple shallow screws into the underside.

Didn't get out today, will attempt the "2 HP challenge" tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2008

sailorbob2 is on a distinguished road
Porta Bote for use with trimaran

I have a Corsair 31 trimaran. I'm intrigued by the Porta Bote and am wondering if any other trimaran owners have one.

I wonder how well it might work to simply haul it over the float and store it assembled on the net with the engine tilted up for short sails.

I also wonder how well it might work to disassemble it and store it folded on the net while crossing from Florida to the Bahamas.

I'm also curious to know if I purchase one of the newer models with the plastic transom and seats, can I easily replace them with the more robust fiberglas or wooden improvements that others have talked about in earlier posts.

Cheers,
Bob