Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Radar signature

Reviews of commercially available passive radar reflectors reveal that they are of limited utility.

Sometime in the past on a website or blog I can't recall...someone mentioned packing their mast with aluminum foil to improve their radar signature. The site or blog reported that subsequently they asked commercial ships of opportunity to evaluate their radar return and the reports were very positive...a return greatly in excess of what the commercial shipping normally saw from small sailboats.

Does anyone have any experience with this method of improving radar signature of your boat or do you have another method that you have found to be highly effective?

Also if you have an active system that is effective with low power consumption and small size that you think would be suitable for a 25-35 foot sailboat would you please comment on your experience with it?

Thanks.
Markwesti likes this.
Old 02-16-2014

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: Radar signature

If your mast is aluminum or carbon fiber, packing it with foil will accomplish nothing except possibly corrosion.
Every test I have seen of the corner reflector type reflector puts it in the correct orientation and then assumes it will NOT stay in that orientation as the boat heels. As she heels the reflected intensity drops a lot. WHY not weight it so it always stays in the correct "catch rain" position then heeling does not matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

The purpose of the radar deflectors is to break up the signal to create a larger signature upon it's return. Stuffing a mast full of foil will accomplish nothing.
Now......If you wish to tie mylar or aluminum to your mast and shrouds in long streams; this will increase your radar signature dramatically.
Old 02-16-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The purpose of the radar deflectors is to break up the signal to create a larger signature upon it's return
I might be off on that comment. After some thought it may be that the reflectors are oreinted to reflect from all points of sail. That sounds better.
Old 02-16-2014

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Tin foil in your hub caps!!!!...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-16-2014
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road

Weight aloft is a concern on my now smaller vessel, but on the old Tripp 45 I had a Davis ball type mounted permanently on the mast head with a piece of stainless all-thread. Wet sails absorb radar frequencies wonderfully, so if your reflector is behind a wet jib it is essentially useless. 1 pound aloft never had any noticeable effect on the boat, and if we checked with a big ship on the horizon, they always reported a good return. Looks weird, but effective. That assumes anyone is watching the radar on the heavy's bridge.

Onboard - Solitaire
Old 02-18-2014

FSMike is on a distinguished road

I have a vague recollection of somebody (the Pardeys?) stuffing a hollow wooden mast with foil and having good reports on its signal return. If it wasn't them I apologize.
Old 02-19-2014
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Also if you have an active system that is effective with low power consumption and small size that you think would be suitable for a 25-35 foot sailboat would you please comment on your experience with it?
Passive reflectors are completely dependent of sector angles, polarization, unobstructed path, etc. They offer a slight chance your boat will be briefly more visible on a ship's radar screen, if anyone is watching closely at that moment & able to distinguish your (still) small blip from background noise. I'm also annoyed the Davis-style reflectors look exactly like a day shape for anchored vessels.

I like the idea of an active detector/transmitter device. They use very little power in passive mode. When triggered by a ship's radar, they send back an amplified signal at the same frequency that makes your little boat look like the QE2 on their screen. Might even set off audible alarms on their bridge. And maybe more importantly, it can be set to sound an alarm on your boat -- so you know you've been painted by someone's radar. Expecting a container ship to 1) see you and 2) miss you is perhaps a bit much to expect.

Downsides to the active systems (Sea-Me, EchoMax) include complexity, cost (around $800 USD for a dual band unit), and some dark sectors -- similar to passive devices. Radar & radar reflectors are a difficult issue for sailboats, and I suspect which solution works for you will have a lot to do with your personal comfort level and where you sail. Foggy areas with lots of ship traffic, probably want every radar-based tool (plus AIS) you can think of. Sea of Cortez, not so much.
Old 02-19-2014

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

I thought I had read an article recently that compared several radar reflector types, including one or a couple active reflectors. Now it's approaching "buy stuff for the boat" season and this year I have the mast down so I was going to revisit that article to see which system, if any, I want to get.

I thought I had read this in Practical Sailor but I can't seem to find the issue. A search on their web site produced nothing. So I'm assuming it was in another magazine that I read. Could be Cruising World, Sail, Good Old Boat, or less likely, Cruisers Outpost.

Does anyone have any idea which magazine published this article? It would have likely been in the past year, but for the life of me I can't find it.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Everything I've ever read says the old school intersecting disks set in the catch rain position is the best passive reflector. Set up a pulley system to a spreader, so it's easily raised and lowered.

Hard to say what experience we've had with it, as we've never seen ourselves on another's radar. I suppose what I rely on more is to see them with our onboard radar, but that's a much more significant investment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.