Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014

shoaldraft is on a distinguished road
Broadband 4G Radar vs Standard Radar

Hello, i am looking to add radar to my 32' sailboat this spring and was wondering what fellow sailors think about the B&G (Navico) 4G Broadband technology vs standard pulse radar? I would be using radar for coastal sailing on Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket, Block up through Maine. When I look at the features of the 4G such as instant on (no warm up period), lower radiation emission than a cell phone, lower power consumption while in active mode than standard radar uses while in standby mode, no main bang, fantastic close in resolution I can't see a reason not to go with this technology. I know that standard radar may have greater distance but in a sailboat going 4 - 8 knots I don't feel as though it is necessary to see 25 plus NM away. Does anyone have experience with 4G or thoughts on this subject?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Broadband 4G Radar vs Standard Radar

There are very few reasons not to go w/the 3g/4g radars. The only problem is that it ties you to one brand of electronics B&G/Simrad/Lowrance/Hummingbird (same parent company). The traditional stalwarts in marine electronics dont have a product that integrates with their systems yet (Furuno, Raymarine, Garmin).

Although, I was surprised to learn that Simrad displaced Raymarine as the standard electronics suite on Beneteau's!
Old 02-24-2014

shoaldraft is on a distinguished road

Yes I was aware that you must go with one of the Navico brands with the 3G / 4G Broadband and see no problem at all because after looking at the B&G Zeus II MFD I was blown away at what an outstanding job they have done in making this technology so specific for sailing. If you have not seen the Zeus II platform yet you can go to the B&G website and view the product video.
Old 02-25-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
There are very few reasons not to go w/the 3g/4g radars. The only problem is that it ties you to one brand of electronics B&G/Simrad/Lowrance/Hummingbird (same parent company). The traditional stalwarts in marine electronics dont have a product that integrates with their systems yet (Furuno, Raymarine, Garmin).
Strange statement..
If you select a:
Raymarine rader you need a Raymarine MFD (display unit)
Garmin radar you need a Garmin MFD
Furuno radar you need a Furuno MFD
Navico radar you need a Navico MFD (Navico is Simrad, B&G and Lowrance)

As for other electronics (wind/depth/AIS/speed/gps ++) all the brands you list use the NMEA 2000 standard for exchanging data (Furuno, Raymarine, Garmin, Simrad, B&G, Lowrance).
You will still find old equipment using older protocols like Seatalk, NMEA 0183 ++)

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Although, I was surprised to learn that Simrad displaced Raymarine as the standard electronics suite on Beneteau's!
Not surprised at all, Navico (Simrad) is currently on of the leaders in development of marine electronics.
Another factor is of course the in prices Beneteau can get from different vendors.

Last edited by knuterikt; 02-25-2014 at 04:33 AM.