Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014

fstuart is on a distinguished road
B&G T7 for Newport 30

I just bought a new Nav system B&G T7 touch. It is very nice and per the manual it will do about everything. BUT how do I get familiar with it. The learning curve is very steep. I have been out a couple of times and had failures a couple of times. Once it just keep shutting off, needed a cold reboot The next time the GPS stopped working? I got it back but both failures should not have happened I worked through them back at the dock.
Does any one have any recomendations for learning aids. I woul really like to be able to use 90% of this machine. The manual kind of sucks.
! more question which tech support has ignored so far. What is VMC I can't find a VMG on the machine I can in the Manual but it looks like the VMG on the machine is called VMC. WTF very confusing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: B&G T7 for Newport 30

Sounds like two separate problems. Don't think the thing should require cold restart to keep working. Something is F'd up. Learning a new complicated system? Just keep working at it. Sorry, no specific advice.
Old 03-19-2014

I did find a definition for VMC = Velocity Made good for Course. I had never heard it before nor had any one else I talked to It sounds like they made it up. VMG=VMC WTF just something new to confuse me.
I will get i figured out
Old 03-19-2014

Loki9 is on a distinguished road

VMG is velocity made good to windward (directly into the wind), while VMC is velocity made good to the next mark or waypoint.

So, VMG = VMC only when your next waypoint is directly to windward.
Old 03-19-2014

VMC
"A measure of speed towards a specific Mark or target, gives actual progress towards a specific point on a course. Often referred to as "VMG to Waypoint". If you see "VMG" on a GPS unit, it is really VMC." from the glossary on B&G web page Still never heard of it except from B&G Couldn't find it in Chapman either. But maybe I just couldn't find it
Thanks
Old 03-19-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstuart View Post
VMC
"A measure of speed towards a specific Mark or target, gives actual progress towards a specific point on a course. Often referred to as "VMG to Waypoint". If you see "VMG" on a GPS unit, it is really VMC." from the glossary on B&G web page Still never heard of it except from B&G Couldn't find it in Chapman either. But maybe I just couldn't find it
Thanks
Chapman is old..

Your MFD can most certainly give VMG also but it need input from a wind sensor to calculate that.

I can get both from my "old" Furuno.

There are two common reasons for electronics to hang or reboot.
- Low voltage (or voltage drop) on the supply
- Software bugs, most new boat electronics have software that can be upgraded, check if a new SW version is available.
Old 07-31-2014

croozhound is on a distinguished road

The T7 is nice. Guessing that your first problem is low voltage, or loose power connection, causing the system to reboot or lose GPS fix. One nice feature of the T7 is that you can configure so much, you can have the top (or bottom) line display many different stats. One of them is the Voltage, which I use to monitor the batteries.

Remember, when your boat is bouncing on the water a loose connection will sometimes lose power that otherwise seems solid at dockside.

Once you know the T7, it's easy but remembering details is hard with all the consumer devices that have used up brain cells. Best thing is to use it a lot. There is a quick reference card that is kind of waterproof that comes with the unit.

I'd say fix the reboot problem first or the learning curve will be too painful. There is a very slight chance that the unit is bad. I suspect the power cabling.

With a sailboat, healing could help a loose cable, or wire broken inside the insulation, to disconnect. Do you notice that the unit reboots on a certain tack? After the batteries have drained a bit?

Last edited by croozhound; 07-31-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Re-read post to determine it is a sailboat
Old 07-31-2014

Thanks I solved the problem with a reboot but it took a call to the tech reps who were very helpful. B&G reps are great they pick up the phone pretty quick and are really knowledgeable. I think it went down because I was just messing with it. My boat is and old sailboat with lots of funky wiring also which can cause problems. This winters project is to rewire the boat and put a new panel in. Clean up the old spaghetti. You're right it is a great unit and gives you way more data than I can assimilate. thanks
Old 08-01-2014

croozhound is on a distinguished road

Didn't know you could call them for help. Is their number on the website?

This is a good Tdi88CMg0QU Zeus video on u tube.

And one on jTgWVTNLeX-Xp0IAWHuxNhPyshLVw"]laylines[/url]

Think the new update includes a demo mode.

You'll need to customize some screens to show what you want, and get the most.
Like sailsteer on 1/2 and chart with radar overlay in the other half.

Note: forum required the links to Zeus videos on you toob be removed
Old 08-01-2014

I have talked with them and they have been very helpful. I'll look at the vid thanks

Tags
b&g , nav gear , vmc