Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014

mrmac is on a distinguished road
Convert "wifi only" iPad to backup chartplotter?

I know the information is on our site, but I just can't seem to put it all together.

We are going from Chesapeake Bay to Bermuda and would like to use an iPad as a backup chart plotter. Here is my thinking:

I will download the appropriate/available NOAA raster charts.

With "wifi only" ipad 3, I know that I will need an exterior GPS with Bluetooth and an app to manage the charts.

What combination of GPS and app have you used successfully for an iPad 3 with "wifi only?"

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Convert "wifi only" iPad to backup chartplotter?

Some answers here:

Anyone using bluetooth GPS rcvr with wifi only iPad?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
mrmac (04-13-2014)
Old 04-14-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Though I have the iPad 2 with GPS - the wireless setup I just finished on our boat will work fine with a non-GPS iPad 3. It's pretty awesome.

The Mr. Universe of Nav Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
mrmac (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmac View Post
I know the information is on our site, but I just can't seem to put it all together.

We are going from Chesapeake Bay to Bermuda and would like to use an iPad as a backup chart plotter. Here is my thinking:

I will download the appropriate/available NOAA raster charts.

With "wifi only" ipad 3, I know that I will need an exterior GPS with Bluetooth and an app to manage the charts.

What combination of GPS and app have you used successfully for an iPad 3 with "wifi only?"

Thanks for any help.
I used an Ipad 2 wifi only, last season as a backup CP. I love it! I used the Garmin Glo external antenna. That stayed in the chart drawer below the glass decks and gave a perfect signal anywhere onboard.

I added another 12DC plug nearby, will pick up a dual USB charger, and that takes care of charging issues. These take very little juice, I find.

I used Garmin Bluecharts nav. app(30.00 East Coast Caribbean) and like that as well. The Active Captain addition, my first real use, was very handy.

The only problem I had was the ipad freezing a couple times. I still don't know exactly why, but I think it may have something to do with the tracking or something. EAsy enough to reset(it's a back up to the onboard CP) until I figure it out.

I've added an iphone 5c to my CP's(it's always on me), so I'm pretty much paperless in the chart drawer. I may install a different nav. app in the phone.
smackdaddy likes this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomMaine For This Useful Post:
mrmac (04-14-2014)
Old 04-16-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

do your nav programs require wifi to use em or just to download charts...and where do these wifi only systems get free no password wifi to use out in middle of an ocean... do you also have a sat fone or iridium or magical signal creator of some kind???

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

Old 04-16-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
do your nav programs require wifi to use em or just to download charts...and where do these wifi only systems get free no password wifi to use out in middle of an ocean... do you also have a sat fone or iridium or magical signal creator of some kind???
Zee, you download the charts onto your device in-port while you have wifi. Then you don't need any internet connection at sea. The charts are already loaded and the GPS signal is available without the need for wifi.

It's basically like having the chip for a standard chartplotter. Just better.
zeehag likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-20-2014

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Mack,

as a back up I would assume that you don't need all the bells and whistles. Well, maybe one bell and a whistle or two. Consider the cost of all the added gadgetry, then consider an Android tablet and the free NOAA app or the Navionics app ($55). The tablet has the GPS built in. The apps are no/few frills but as a back up should do the trick. Either way, the Ipad or Andoid, tablets are hard to see in sunlight. Whatever you do, I wish you fair winds and a following sea.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DonScribner For This Useful Post:
mrmac (04-21-2014)
Old 04-20-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

I put my nmea instruments on a wifi stream using OpenCPN. Then I used my various ipad apps that can get nmea over TCP to become an auxilarly plotter.
Old 04-20-2014

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
I used an Ipad 2 wifi only, last season as a backup CP. I love it! I used the Garmin Glo external antenna. That stayed in the chart drawer below the glass decks and gave a perfect signal anywhere onboard.

I've added an iphone 5c to my CP's(it's always on me), so I'm pretty much paperless in the chart drawer. I may install a different nav. app in the phone.
I have the same setup. Works quite well. The Garmin is a quality unit and reception is fine with the unit below on the table.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Old 04-21-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road

WiFi iPad with bluetooth GPS and Seaiq (OpenCPN for iPad and iPhone). Amazing.
mrmac (04-21-2014)

Tags
chart plotter , gps , ipad , noaa , wifi only

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.