Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree295Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Multi-Day Offshores: The Elephant In The Salon

How many boys have you got? :-)
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 05-01-2014
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road

I'm gonna point at this one again
So Ya Wanna Be A Cruiser.......(Part One of Two)
One of my first posts, and originally written several years ago, but still germaine.
chall03 likes this.

Onboard - Solitaire
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Cap-Couillon For This Useful Post:
slax (05-20-2014)
Old 05-01-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

My longest off shore trip was seven days, six nights, but there were 7 of us so watches weren't too bad (except for the first two days, when I was violently seasick on one of the few times of my life).

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-01-2014

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Big difference is racing vs cruiser mentality. Racing max speed at any cost up to boat damage sometimes to damage. Just backing off a little bit can make a huge comfort difference.
As already mentioned boat shape/style makes a big difference for me. I find the flat bottom light newer boats wear me out faster.
Old 05-01-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

I agree with Jon, stick built boats are much quieter. Working or sleeping below you really hear nothing on our boat even though it might be sailing at 12 knots and it's blowing 20. We've owned pan boats, they tend to creak as the inner pan and hull work and the bulkheads move within the inner pan.
Old 05-01-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Sailing in Great Lakes is often tougher than sailing in the big pond.
Based on 40 years sailing on the Great Lakes and sailing around the world - Not true!
bljones, capta and Minnesail like this.
Old 05-01-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

my only advice is to not get bored, so have a routine, exercise if you want and can, and get into that lifestyle...and frame of mind...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 05-01-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I think I have a high tolerance for boredom. Managing the vessel, navigating and preparing meals keep me pretty busy; but in between tasks I can stare at the sky and the water for hours at a time it's hypnotic to me. I look forward to the boredom of a pleasant voyage.
I've been beaten up enough to savor long periods of nothingness when they present themselves.
Old 05-01-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Maybe I haven't been out for long enough, but boredom was never an issue. Some days we had more excitement than we could stand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
my only advice is to not get bored, so have a routine, exercise if you want and can, and get into that lifestyle...and frame of mind...

Old 05-01-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I agree with Kilarney sailor that a 300 miler is short stuff, so is 700. I have this thing about the Sydney Hobart race which is 635 miles. A 'real' passage is multiple Sydney Hobarts. My longest is 5 S-Hs. Another couple pretty close to it.
Now thats not saying 'been there, done that', what I am saying is that thinking about passages as a time thing, or milage thing is counter productive. Just get out there and don't look back untill theres land on the bow... Hopefully your intended destination.

And do them at a physical intensity that will keep you refreshed, happy, and full 'o beans.

Keep the boat below hull speed. If you see stupidly high boat speeds, like you hear people at the bar say I was surfing at 10 knots, then slow the hell down! Not only does it slow you down but it makes the boat more comfortable, less breakages and you are not so tired.

Get proper sleep and dont fall in the trap of informal watches. Do proper set watches and when you are off watch get the hell off deck and go read a book or, better, sleep.

I did a difficult one last year 1,400 miles up wind by myself. Against the current. Ok it was a tad character building, but i was fine because I was reefed and sleeping. Maybe thats a good line to remember: reefed and sleeping. A perfect cruise .

Other thing people keep mentioning is about cooking. Instead of cooking before the trip I always cook proper, great, excellent meals at sea. Learn to do it on your overnighters and then its easy at sea. You need lots of calories because if you normally expent 2,500 per day at home, at sea with the rockin you are probably expending 4,000 or 5,000. No matter how well you eat you will still lose weight. But if you eat normal amounts of food you will get tired easily, seasick and lethargic.

So: Reefed, Sleeping and Stuffed!

I never look at the miles to go unless they are under 1,000 or less on shorter passages. Why the hell do you need to know you have done 136 miles and have 2,675 to go? Just put your dot on the chart and cook up some naughty food

Fix things when they happen. A solo non-stop round the world guy told me that theres no use waiting when something goes wrong. You are solo and day and night make no difference so fix it then and there. Damn stupid advice has made everything go wrong at 2 am!! One night I was fixing the galley pump at 2 am. Dont put the jobs off just do them.
But general maintenance jobs... Forget about them unless they directly relate to the sailing. I.e it would be stupid to pull out the varnish brush! Go have a sleep instead

If you do bugger all on your passage except to reef, sleep and eat then theres plenty of time to enjoy yourselves... And watch dolphins.... And watch waves... And see the stars... And wish upon shooting stars... And read... And....

Mark

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 05-01-2014 at 11:19 AM.