Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree293Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Multi-Day Offshores: The Elephant In The Salon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
No auto pilot and no AIS! YOU are a candidate for a rescue or recovery.
Golly gosh how on earth did people like Slocum, Knox Johnson or Shane Acton make around the world.
inshallamiami and Dirtyfloats like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2014
Wingnut

Dirtyfloats is on a distinguished road

No doubt.
It's amazing how quickly people become tottally reliant on technology.
To the point where They feel like they could never do without it.

Did someone say there are downsides to having a pilot house? Wow...
Thats rediculous.
Old 05-04-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Either that or he's actually a sailor.
Well, I believe I probably enjoy helming about as much as anyone, but I still find it a bit hard to justify the absence of some form of self-steering on a cruising boat that will be sailed shorthanded... Under normal conditions, a doublehanded trip from Green Turtle to Ft Pierce really shouldn't produce the sort of exhaustion Ralph describes. Seems to me they're making it needlessly hard on themselves, almost to the point where it goes beyond an issue of 'comfort', and might verge into the realm of being a 'safety' issue...

For the sort of sailing I do, it's impossible to overstate the importance of some form of reliable self-steering. If I could only have ONE item powered by the flow of electrons on any of the boats I run, an AP would beat out GPS, plotters, AIS, or any other gizmo, hands down... Unless you're sailing with a full crew, no other bit of gear makes such a difference, in my opinion...
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
inshallamiami (05-05-2014)
Old 05-04-2014
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, I believe I probably enjoy helming about as much as anyone, but I still find it a bit hard to justify the absence of some form of self-steering on a cruising boat that will be sailed shorthanded... Under normal conditions, a doublehanded trip from Green Turtle to Ft Pierce really shouldn't produce the sort of exhaustion Ralph describes. Seems to me they're making it needlessly hard on themselves, almost to the point where it goes beyond an issue of 'comfort', and might verge into the realm of being a 'safety' issue...

For the sort of sailing I do, it's impossible to overstate the importance of some form of reliable self-steering. If I could only have ONE item powered by the flow of electrons on any of the boats I run, an AP would beat out GPS, plotters, AIS, or any other gizmo, hands down... Unless you're sailing with a full crew, no other bit of gear makes such a difference, in my opinion...
Do you have a windvane on your boat Jon?
Old 05-04-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfloats View Post
No doubt.

Did someone say there are downsides to having a pilot house? Wow...
Thats rediculous.
Yeah, what would sailors like Hamish and Kate Laird - with years of sailing in places like Antarctica, and Greenland - possibly know about that?

Quote:
We are surprised to find no internal steering station. “That is because only a hydraulic system would do the job,” Kate replies, “… and we don’t want leaking hydraulic oil inside the boat. But we can use the autopilot for internal steering when the on-watch person has to be monitoring the radar. When the wind and seas are rough, however, we feel it is very important to be outside helming — with the wind on your face you can react much faster and more accurately. The other issue is that if you are already outside you are much more in tune with the weather and are more likely to reef early if conditions deteriorate.”

Seal: A Cape Horner for the 21st century - Ocean Navigator - January/February 2008
Old 05-04-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Golly gosh how on earth did people like Slocum, Knox Johnson or Shane Acton make around the world.
or even recent ones, baldwin, yves gelinas, and the young ones like jesse martin, aebi,

or the masters like motissier, or chichester, or the roths

my oh my!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have MSDs at companionway,helm and nav station.
Marine Sanitation Device at the helm? That's sailing in style!
MedSailor likes this.
Old 05-04-2014

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Marine Sanitation Device at the helm? That's sailing in style!
who is
Quote:
Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Me, very far from all this, I am somehwat surprised: What are we discussing here? Difficulties of self-selected adventures or the (dis-?) advatanges of pilothouses? Or the advantages with going to high altitudes, where the ice to the aperetif is an arm away?

/J
Old 05-04-2014
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
200 miles is just a miserable distance. You need the offwatch to start sleeping immediately but that never happens so you can't really get into a sleep rotation and instead you all just get tired (and maybe seasick) together. That is really hard. I don't understand how you can hand steer for 36-48 hrs (I had to do it for a couple days at it was exhausting). That trip with i2f must have been a great time . . ..
We do 2 hours on, 2 hours off. Mostly we just get a break from steering and try to get comfortable. Sometimes a cat-nap. With an AP, I'm sure we could extend the shifts. I'll add an AP in Texas, before we take off again.

The trip with i2f was awesome! Probably why we are cruising fulltime now. I hope John (i2f) is looking down with a smile on his face. Most of what I know about sailing, I learned from him. I sure miss the guy. Sorry for the tread drift...

Ralph
chall03 and MarkofSeaLife like this.
Old 05-04-2014
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

I certainly don't disagree. We aren't set up for long passages. Besides no AP, we don't have an EPIRB, life raft, or SSB. On cruising comforts....no windlass or davits either. We're just bare-bones, all you really need for coastal cruising (just in case someone reads this, thinking they need all those toys). No doubt, the AP would be an excellent addition for the longer crossings. Thanks for the reply.

Ralph
Settled in for a week | sailing away with R & B