Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014

ravinracin is on a distinguished road
Car Radar Detector

I was just wondering if a car radar detector would alert you to a ship near by that had his radar turned on. I have used one for years while driving and they seem to work great. The best use I have had is while driving in Nebraska, completely flat land with every little town having a radar gun toting cop out hunting. It seems like with all the different bands a unit searches that it would work at sea. Just wondering, another safety tool. Very inexpensive also.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Car Radar Detector

If there was only one boat around, maybe (I haven't looked into whether the ship radars use X, K, or Ka bands; if not, then it won't work). But if there was more than one boat, you'd be getting pings all the time. I imagine it would get a bit annoying. Now, if you're in the middle of the ocean and worried about getting run over, then it makes sense (assuming the detector will actually pick up the ship's radar). But if you're in the Chesapeake Bay or Delaware River, for example, it would probably just drive you nuts.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Here is what fellow SailNetter, Jim Sexton, wrote a few years ago:

Quote:
Another radar warning device is one that detects a radar pulse and sets off an alarm. Unfortunately this type of radar detector does not commercially exist in the marine market. A land based X-band radar detector used to detect police radars is not very expensive and on a vessel at sea would alert you to the presence of another operating radar in time to fire up your radar, search for a return, and determine if there is any danger of a collision. While not very useful in a harbor near land, it should provide some warning at sea. Obviously this type of radar detector would not be of any value to you if the other vessel was operating in the S-band, had its radar in standby mode, or off altogether. The land-based police radar detectors typically operate in the X, K , Ka, and Laser bands but not at all in the S-band. The S-band radar is in the 2 to 4 GHz range (2000 to 4000 MHz) while the X-band is in the 8 to 12 GHz range (8000 to 12000 MHz). To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a radar detector that operates in the S-band.
Old 05-14-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

What a great idea! Police radars are X band, and so are our small marine units. Ships use both S and X band with S band being for longer ranges and X band for short ranges. You'd have to ask someone who is one one of these ships to know if they use just S band radar at sea or if they use both S and X at the same time at sea.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-14-2014

Shinook is on a distinguished road

There are marine units available that have alarms and some sort of display capability.

They were discussed in the book on Black Feathers, the Cal 20 that finished the solo transpac race a few years ago. I remember them being discussed at length and compared to AIS, IIRC, he said that he got pings on the radar detector long before getting them on his AIS display.

I think it's a great idea, but I am curious why it never caught on. I had to really look to find information on the marine units and have yet to see a boat with one installed (aside from Black Feathers).

EDIT:

I believe this was it:

http://www.sea-me.co.uk/about.html

I was wrong, it doesn't have display capability but it does have an alarm that goes off when you get hit with radar.

Last edited by Shinook; 05-14-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2014
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

The two passive detectors/active return marine units are from Sea-Me (as Shinook linked to) and EchoMax. Both use very little power in detect mode; when they return a signal (highly amplified), your vessel appears roughly the size of the QE2 on the screen of whomever pinged you. This is good, much better than passive reflectors which lose signal per the inverse square rule both incoming and outgoing, and which return signal may not show up on a radar set with the gain turned down to reduce false positives.

Both EchoMax and Sea-Me sell single band or dual band units. The reason they have not caught on is a price tag between $800 and $1000 USD. It seems likely cheap & ubiquitous AIS will, in the near future, consign this very nifty product to the dustbin, next to Loran C.
Old 05-15-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

So, back the the OP question, it looks like X-band detection might be reasonable if staying near the shore. That is, if what they say in the add for the Sea-Me unit applies to US waters. I would be interested to know if anyone knows what radar bands are used in the US waters (and Great Lakes).
Old 05-15-2014
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

I'm glad you asked this question, because it's something I've been thinking about as well. We knew a guy who cruised in the 80's and used a car RADAR detector during off shore passages and he said it worked really well. But that was in the 80's. A person could maybe borrow one and drive down to a shore with commercial traffic and see if it beeps?
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 05-15-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I last had a car radar detector back when I was a teenager, a zillion years ago. I have no idea what changes they've undergone since then but if I'm reading this thread correctly, all you want is the ping? You don't want a display to tell you where the object is located, whether you're on a collision course, or anything else a boat's radar screen can tell you?

I don't have radar, I'm just trying to think through the argument for using the car radar instead.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-15-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

A few references that might be of interest:

Radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NG Introduces Dual Channel Navigation Radar System | Sperry Marine
1975 Albacore 15

Tags
radar , radar detector , safety at sea