Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think it is fairly simple to install. Someone at my friend's marina did it a couple of months ago, while I was there helping step their mast. IIRC correctly, it just slides into the existing track... no real complicated installation issues... from what I saw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2006
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem, though it is not due to dirt or grime in the track. The slugs seem to get pulled at an angle and lock up just above the slot. I've never been out alone, so it's not much of a problem. Someone just goes up to the mast and feeds the slugs up, but I'm not sure I could raise the main alone.
Old 09-04-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Another solution is to get longer slugs. Most tracks can accommodate slightly longer slugs than you may have on your existing sail. The longer slugs tend not to twist as much and don't jam as easily.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-04-2006
CatSailor from Oz

alanl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to alanl
Last weekend I usee JohnR's trick of cleaning out the track and was amazed at the difference it made. It was not quite as simple as it sounded, because getting into the track would have meant removing all the slugs first, so I cut the binding off the top slug and resewed it after doing the job

It was not easy to get the cloth patch inside the track but persistence paid off. A local product called "Gumption" comes in a damp paste and by wetting the patch before liberally coating on one side, it was possible to "stick" it to the inside of the groove and still get the slug over it. Some whipping twine kept it in place while being raised and lowered. This was repeated several times with fresh patches, then every slug was coated with "zipper" grease and the main raised. Wow - what a difference!

Thanks John. Also thanks to Sailing Dog for comments about the plastic insert

Regards

AlanL
Old 09-04-2006
Telstar 28

Glad to help.

Telstar 28
New England