Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2014

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Re: How Dangerous?

Donna,

Yes, if the Forum became a definitive source of such information with links to news and official reports I think it would be of great utility to the sailing/cruising community and might well increase traffic to the site.

Audited analysis of such reports by informed and qualified members would also be very useful for the cruising community...I read K. Adlard Coles' analyses of heavy weather sailing disasters for 2 years before I ever set foot on a sailboat!

Heavy Weather Sailing: K. Adlard Coles, Peter Bruce: 9780070117327: Amazon.com: Books Heavy Weather Sailing: K. Adlard Coles, Peter Bruce: 9780070117327: Amazon.com: Books

Phil
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post

Audited analysis of such reports by informed and qualified members would also be very useful for the cruising community...
Whenever there's a discussion everyone accuses everyone else of being an armchair sailor! I shudder to think of the backlash when certain "informed and qualified members" are chosen over other "informed and qualified members" to provide analysis.

Andrew's at the dentist today. I'll let him know that he's nominated to get this endeavor off the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-28-2014
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
Donna,

Yes, if the Forum became a definitive source of such information with links to news and official reports I think it would be of great utility to the sailing/cruising community and might well increase traffic to the site.

Sometimes it takes months to a year or so for an official report to be made public. And if it's public, there already is a site containing all the reports. Could we compromise and try to get a closed post that contains links to sites that contain the reports?

Thinking out loud as I read through this thread.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 05-28-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

The nature of internet forums is to allow the free exchange of information for purposes of discussion, entertainment, and education.

Why are there certain elements that wish to censor the spirit of free speech and decide what speech is permitted? As long as you are not defaming someone, which is virtually impossible unless he or she is actually identifiable, you should be able to write whatever you want.

Argument is the way to expose the truth, not selective censorship.

Rather than assign this task to others, why don't you start your own blog entitled "Non-ill Informed Comments About Wrecks and Such". You could spend hours cataloguing all the rescues.
davidpm and MarkofSeaLife like this.
Old 05-28-2014
A mod and her dragon

Still thinking.

Maybe it's me, but I don't think this, or any forum, can become the "definitive source" for anything. I and the other mods, I'm sure, welcome any suggestion to keep the forum relevant but in this case pretty much what you are asking is that the moderators become data collectors. I can't see that happening, especially when there are official sites that already collect the data.

(mod hat off)

I think it was a good idea to create the separate forum to hold the accident threads and the value to me is the discussion attached to each thread. The back and forth that forces me to think and approach things logically; to work out what I think I would do if I was in that situation. If I want to see a list of mishaps, the CG already has that. If I want to read analysis, every boating magazine on the stands usually covers the major accidents. What I need as a forum member, and obviously this isn't what you're asking for here, is to be able to ask questions and bounce ideas off of the other forum members. Even the new boaters have something to add, some other approach that may or may not be useful or viable but at least it has me (and hopefully them) thinking and for me, anything that keeps me thinking and planning and readjusting expectations makes the sailing experience continually fun and exciting even when I'm off the boat. Most importantly, potentially safer.

YMMV.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 05-28-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

would it be possible for the original post to be repetitively modified as "official information" became available.
Envision a "forum" with each original post containing the "just the facts ma am" and opinion to follow. That way a surfer could see what's been going on and when and where looking at just the OPs but dummies like me could learn from the discussions.
Old 05-28-2014

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I do not always resist the impulse to sail someone else's boat for them ("that jib halyard should be tighter" --- "ease out, man, you're on a broad reach!) while safely out of earshot.

And I do the same here, but am well aware it's "armchair" so I have respect for those who were out there.

Aren't there already such lists somewhere? If not, are we the ones to make one? I tend to think our "case by case" comments on sinkings are the best way to go, warts and all, without too many (stinkin' ;-) rules...
Old 05-28-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

BTW- I've yet to figure out a way to get to the Caribe or back without crossing the western north Atlantic gyre. I've yet to find an insurance company that will let me be in the Caribe from june 1 to nov 1. So think many are forced to cross the stream twice a year when gales/storms may occur.
Old 05-28-2014
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
would it be possible for the original post to be repetitively modified as "official information" became available.
Envision a "forum" with each original post containing the "just the facts ma am" and opinion to follow. That way a surfer could see what's been going on and when and where looking at just the OPs but dummies like me could learn from the discussions.
You mean add a link to the official report once it becomes available? Perhaps put it in the first post?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 05-28-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
You mean add a link to the official report once it becomes available? Perhaps put it in the first post?

What official report?

The only ones that will get an official repot published will be when deaths occur, arn't they? Is Rebel Heart up for a court hearing? I wouldnt think so.

Any who does Tao's? The French? Try tracking that report down.

Tags
rescue , saiboat loss