SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   best knot for tying up (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/14833-best-knot-tying-up.html)

sailingforever 04-15-2006 12:07 PM

best knot for tying up

some say clove hitch, some say round turn and two half hitches, and others say mooring hitch. I think that round turn and two half hitches is the best because it holds better.
clove hitches often slip for me.

jared 04-17-2006 04:14 PM

For tying up to what?

I confess, I don't know the name of the knot (I've never even called it a knot) that we use to tie up to common "horn" cleats. Cleats, rings, bollards, and then in the NW I've seen docks with none of those, just holes under a low rail to go through and around. (Don't know the name for that style either.)

sailingforever 04-17-2006 05:57 PM

what I mean are mooring posts.

probably you use the knot for halyards and stuff but I can't remember what it is called.

GordMay 04-17-2006 06:12 PM

Cleat hitch on boat, and Bowline loop on bollard.

Irwin32 04-18-2006 10:41 AM

I go with GordMay, but sometimes use a double half hitch with a round turn. Clove hitch is good for quick, temporary tie. I sometimes will secure the clove hitch with two half hitches and use that combination for more security.

garyp 04-20-2006 09:10 PM

A round turn with two half hitches is very secure and easy to adjust if needed. A bowline choker loop or just a bowline is handy and secure if the line length is fixed and won't need adjustment. A clove hitch is quick to tie or untie but don't turn your back on it.

sailingdog 04-22-2006 01:10 PM

It really depends on what you are tieing up to. If you are tieing up to a dock with cleats, then a cleat hitch is the way to go. If you are tieing up to a mooring ring, then a bowline might be the right choice. If you are tieing up to pilings, then a round turn with two half hitches is probably a good choice.

alanl 04-23-2006 08:04 PM

I agree with "sailing dog." The knot needs to suit the situation. A cleat hitch is foolproof - on a cleat, but a round turn and two opposed half hitches would be my choice when tying to a post or rail. For a bollard, nothing beats a spliced loop of sufficient size to go round twice However well tied, I do not trust a bowline for mooring - or a clove hitch.

Cheers

Alan, Sydney

Jeff_H 04-23-2006 09:05 PM

I would suggest that a clove hitch is the way to go on a pilling or bollard. A clove hitch prevents the line from sliding back and forth around the piling and chafing through. As noted a clove hitch can slip so I back it up with a couple half hitches that keep it from slipping. Double half hitches without the clove hitch can get locked so tightly that it can't get untied.

Jeff

RichH 04-24-2006 05:00 PM

The best knot is simply a spliced eye formed into a 'sliding noose' .... and made better if the 'standing' part of the line has 'two or more wraps' where the standing part passes.
Nothing beats a splice with respect to strength. A 'noosed' splice doesnt jam, is releasable, etc.