Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SuperV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2014

seltten is on a distinguished road
Anchoring in lake weeds

Have a Danforth that will not set and hold in our big weedy lake. What do you all recommend?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchoring in lake weeds

a plow. My solution was a Manson Supreme
The Following User Says Thank You to Multihullgirl For This Useful Post:
seltten (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 07-07-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seltten View Post
Have a Danforth that will not set and hold in our big weedy lake. What do you all recommend?
Take a look at (click on) the Grapnel Anchor that can penetrate through weed.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
seltten (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 07-07-2014

SuperV is on a distinguished road

Interesting - when I tried it, my Manson Supreme would not hold in weeds, nor would my CQR. The other two anchors I had on board were a 150lb Fisherman and an aluminum Fortress. I was sure the Fisherman would hold but since it is a pain to haul out and assemble (really bought for super heavy wind use), I tried my Fortress and it held. Maybe the difference here is how much chain you have. My rode is all chain and I made sure I had plenty scope. Anyway, anchoring seems to be like religion and politics. I am sure before long you will have seen every possible combination suggested. It may be best to see if you can borrow different types of anchors, make sure you have enough chain scope and try them all out to see what works best for your boat and situation.
Multihullgirl likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperV For This Useful Post:
seltten (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 07-07-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

A Danforth is probably about the worst since it has so much surface area for the weight. Beyond the anchor, a really important consideration is the technique. You want to not be moving at all so the anchor and chain can work down through the weed without picking up too much of the vegetation. If you are moving in any direction the anchor gets clogged with week before it even has a change to find the bottom.
seltten (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 07-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If you're looking for a lunch hook, or something that you'll tend to, I like the grapnel idea. I would not sleep on one or leave for shore, however.

Grass is just an unreliable anchorage, no matter what. Even in the best circumstance, you may actually be set in a big knot of grass that you dragged a few feet and piled up. A few hours later, the grass lets go and you're loose.

We have a few anchorages with heavy grass, such as CuttyHunk. We will try to move around to find a gap or less grass, even if it means anchoring a bit further from shore, in deeper water or less protected from wind/waves. I would rather have a good set in a tough spot and than bad set in a good spot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
seltten (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 07-08-2014
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and ask the obvious questions... so shoot me if this is too obvious (I am not trying to bust)... But do you have enough rode out? 5 or 6:1 at least? Do you have a decent amount of chain?

On my rather rocky lake in the few places that are soft/weeds, my danforth holds fine, but I use nearly 100 feet of rode, and 10 feet of chain for 15-20 feet of water. I've not had an issue with hold since I've upped the length of my chain from 6 feet. Granted we rarely have high winds, and most of our chop is produced from antique V6 outboards by wanna-be water-drag racers.
seltten (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 07-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If you have no current and light winds, all you really need to do is drop enough weight. Anything will work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
seltten (4 Weeks Ago)