Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Anchoring under sail

I have a 22' boat on a small city lake that doesn't allow gas engines, so I use a trolling motor. I have a Danforth-style anchor stored in a cockpit locker. I don't even want to go over the clown show that was me anchoring on Independence Day. Suffice it to say there was a small amount of blood.

Anyway, here's my plan for dropping the anchor for lunch/swimming: Take down the jib while sailing. Go to the anchoring location close hauled. Leave the main sheeted in tight and point head-to-wind. Walk the anchor up and drop it, feeding out the rode as the boat drifts downwind. After enough rode is out cleat it off, then push the main out to backwind it and set the anchor. Take down main and have lunch.

Is this a reasonable plan? Any better ideas or things I should be aware of?
Old 07-19-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchoring under sail

I do this 1. Ready the anchor while sailing to anchorage bringing it around rigging to cockpit
2. Allowing p,entry of free rode when I reach the spot I wish to anchor I slip the anchor over the side and continue sailing the momentum of the boat sets the anchor and at the same time swings me directly into the wind.
3. Drop sails and enjoy lunch I have used this technique for years to even set for overnight seems to work quite well for me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I do this 1. Ready the anchor while sailing to anchorage bringing it around rigging to cockpit
2. Allowing p,entry of free rode when I reach the spot I wish to anchor I slip the anchor over the side and continue sailing the momentum of the boat sets the anchor and at the same time swings me directly into the wind.
What point of sail are out on? It seems like unless you're going mostly downwind this would set the anchor at a different angle than you'll be swinging, so it would have to re-set once you drop sails and swing downwind.
Old 07-19-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
What point of sail are out on? It seems like unless you're going mostly downwind this would set the anchor at a different angle than you'll be swinging, so it would have to re-set once you drop sails and swing downwind.
I have used this from a broad reach to a downhill run just have to plan the anchoring according to the wind at the time .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2014

WGEwald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Take down the jib while sailing.
Recently a whole article on just this point was published in a recent issue of Cruising World. It was written by Tor Pinney, who added a couple of 30-year-old photos of himself What a waste of space.
Old 07-19-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

You could set the anchor better by backing the main after you drop the anchor, and sailing "in reverse" to set it. Also, bring the anchor aft (rode under and outside the lifelines) so you can toss it from the cockpit, one less need to scramble back-and-forth in order to back the main.

Of course if it is just lunch and setting the anchor isn't really a big deal...Sure, just drop it, tug, drop sail.

Why so little blood? If you're going to make offerings to the gods, be generous about it!
Minnesail likes this.
Old 07-19-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

There was just a very good thread on this subject on Sailing Anarchy, so I'll just link to it:
anchoring under sail - Cruising Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Andrew65 and WGEwald like this.
Old 07-20-2014

bens4lsu is on a distinguished road

You already have the anchor in the cockpit, so why not just drop it over the stern? If you want the breeze in your face, you can walk the rode forward once it's set. A lot less trouble that way.
Seaduction likes this.
Old 07-20-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Never anchored a small boat, but it seems to me that leaving the main sheeted in while you bleed on the fore deck is asking for a senic tour of the other boats anchored nearby.
Old 07-20-2014

Right. Drop it from the cockpit. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I learned anchoring on bigger boats with anchor lockers and windlasses, and I think I was just trying to re-create that.

Anyway, yesterday turned out to be kind of blustery. It was fun sailing, but it wasn't really lounge-in-the-cockpit or swim-off-the-back kind of weather, so we just sailed and never bothered with the anchor. Next weekend I will try the dropping it from the cockpit technique.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.