Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2014

John Casey is on a distinguished road
Re: Elevator method of COB recovery mixed results

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzz View Post
+1 I clicked on this thread just to see what "COB" was.
Anyone with a military connection remember the brief period when UAV stood for Uninhabited Aerial Vehicle?

That lasted a couple years but quietly faded away, universally acknowledged as silly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2014

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road

Here's is a method that can work in a pinch. Tie a loop in the end of a jibsheet or any piece of rope. Like a stirrup. Drop that in the water and wrap the other end around a winch. Person in the water puts foot in stirrup and person on board operates the winch.
davidpm and christian.hess like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to CLOSECALL For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
Here's is a method that can work in a pinch. Tie a loop in the end of a jibsheet or any piece of rope. Like a stirrup. Drop that in the water and wrap the other end around a winch. Person in the water puts foot in stirrup and person on board operates the winch.
That's a good idea, the loop might make the method workable. I'll give it a try.
Old 08-11-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
On Sunday we tried the elevator method for crew-overboard recovery where you cleat a line at the bow and run it back to a winch, leaving a loop in the water for someone to sit or stand on.

Meh.

I tried to winch a friend up. First he stood on it, but couldn't keep his balance. Then he sat on it but my boat is small and the hull goes in right under the water line, so when he tried to sit on the line he just ended up under the boat. He wanted no more of it.

I'm a little more coordinated than he is, so I tried next. I was able to make it work by standing on the line while I was winched up high enough to scramble over the side, but it wasn't easy. If there were any significant waves I'm not sure I could have kept my balance.

In summary, at least on my boat, it's not a terribly likely option for a COB recovery.
do you remember the thread that started all this hooplah? the one where someone wanted to try a traditional mast rigged MOB sling on a smaller boat?

well there you have it...

the elevator method is better than nothing...but small boat mob systems are different and often non traditional...basically WHATEVER works to get back in is the system to use, and even then changes

thats awesome you tried it...

you should post an update on that other thread...jeje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 08-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
you should post an update on that other thread...jeje
That one got a bit contentious so I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm on a little lake that's only 1/2 mile across so you can never be very far from shore. On the other hand a teenager died in it last week swimming to a raft maybe 50 yards from shore. The water is always dangerous.

Anyway, this weekend I'll try the elevator method with a loop tied in the line. I'm also going to pick up a Lifesling and try that with the vang.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 08-11-2014

NevP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The sailing club I'm uses Person Overboard and POB as their official terms in the instructors manual.
COB I can cope with (although around here MOB is more widely recognised, so I'll be sticking with that as a matter of safety).
POB could be highly confusing in this context. As far as I am aware POB means "Persons On Board". As in, when radioing in a trip report to Coastguard or Maritime Radio here in NZ you would say something like "4 POB." (Even refered to in their radio handbook "www(dot)maritimenz(dot)govt(dot)nz/Publications-and-forms/Commercial-operations/Shipping-safety/Radio-Handbook-2012.pdf" - page 41).
Old 08-12-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That one got a bit contentious so I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm on a little lake that's only 1/2 mile across so you can never be very far from shore. On the other hand a teenager died in it last week swimming to a raft maybe 50 yards from shore. The water is always dangerous.

Anyway, this weekend I'll try the elevator method with a loop tied in the line. I'm also going to pick up a Lifesling and try that with the vang.
good for you

the good thing is your trying stuff on your boat not just going by hearsay...the more you do and test the better and more comfortable you will be on your boat.

that other thread exploded cause some just couldnt understand that all boats behave different no matter what someoene states on the sales pitch....

safe sailing!

christian

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 08-12-2014

wikiwiki is on a distinguished road

in my industry we still use the term 'girls' to describe the women working in the office.

as in 'I'll have my girl find it'

or 'do you think the girls can figure this out ?'

even 'what do you girls what for lunch ?'

the girls do not let the men curse or use bad language. they will call you on it every time.

Last edited by wikiwiki; 08-12-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

For all but small boats, a riding sail (see snap below) can also make for an effective means of recovering a MOB (or COB for the PC). Two corners are connected tightly between two points on the toe-rail or stanchion bases and the third to a halyard or boom lift and draped in the water. The MOB/COB is pulled/positioned across the head of the sail between the halyard/lift and the hull and a strain taken on the line. The MOB/COB is cradled in the sail as he/she is lifted to the level of the rail and can be rolled aboard from there. BTDT.

An example of a "Riding Sail" in service:

christian.hess likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
For all but small boats, a riding sail (see snap below) can also make for an effective means of recovering a MOB (or COB for the PC). Two corners are connected tightly between two points on the toe-rail or stanchion bases and the third to a halyard or boom lift and draped in the water. The MOB/COB is pulled/positioned across the head of the sail between the halyard/lift and the hull and a strain taken on the line. The MOB/COB is cradled in the sail as he/she is lifted to the level of the rail and can be rolled aboard from there. BTDT.
That seems like that would work well, especially for an unresponsive or barely responsive POUGEOSOAROLORBWINLATDB (Person Of Unspecified Gender, Ethnic Origin, Sexual Orientation, And Religious Or Lack Of Religious Beliefs Who Is No Longer Aboard The Damned Boat).

I imagine it would take a bit longer to rig than a Lifesling, elevator, or vang/main to harness. That could be an issue in very cold water.

From what I've read from Fortuitous, Catalina 22s tend to sail a lot at anchor and a riding sail helps a lot. I've got enough to worry about this year, but maybe next year a riding sail will be on the agenda.

For this year's POUGEOSOAROLORBWINLATDB recovery drills I'm going to stick with equipment that would on most boats.