Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Elevator method of COB recovery mixed results

On Sunday we tried the elevator method for crew-overboard recovery where you cleat a line at the bow and run it back to a winch, leaving a loop in the water for someone to sit or stand on.

Meh.

I tried to winch a friend up. First he stood on it, but couldn't keep his balance. Then he sat on it but my boat is small and the hull goes in right under the water line, so when he tried to sit on the line he just ended up under the boat. He wanted no more of it.

I'm a little more coordinated than he is, so I tried next. I was able to make it work by standing on the line while I was winched up high enough to scramble over the side, but it wasn't easy. If there were any significant waves I'm not sure I could have kept my balance.

In summary, at least on my boat, it's not a terribly likely option for a COB recovery.
davidpm and christian.hess like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Elevator method of COB recovery mixed results

MOB. We are NOT going to introduce a PC acronym for a safety item. GPS units have MOB buttons. Lets not be stupid (yes, I know this is not your fault--this is a public rant). If a person yells "man overboard" we all get it, just as a climber yells "rock" for anything that is dropped, not "backpack" or "tree limb."

To my mind, for a small boat, the MOB can either manage a ladder (relatively uninjured) or they are going to need hoisting aboard (not easy on a small boat without winches and the mass to get it to hold still). Fortunately, on small boats the person generally just tripped and is able to climb; big boats they are more likely to have been injured by violent weather or moving equipment. If there is crew that is not able to climb a ladder (disability or fitness) they better stay seated. I've seen big dogs in the water that were nearly impossible to retrieve. It's a problem.

It is important in clod weather to make certain small boat crew is dressed for survival in the water, not the air temp.

For what it's worth, this is our drill:
Sail Delmarva: MOB Drills, Lifesling, and Climbing Equipment

I have owned boats without this ability, and I would not take crew that could not climb a ladder easily. It didn't make sense to me.
bblument likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 08-04-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to pdqaltair For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (08-11-2014)
Old 08-04-2014
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

I've brought folks back on board a small craft an onto the swim step of our work boat by rolling them onto the boat with two lines. Bring the body along side. Secure two lines to the boat. Run the loose ends under the body and then back up to the boat. One line high on the torso under the arm pits. Second line under the hips. Pull on the bitter ends of the lines and the body rolls up hill onto your deck. I rolled a body about 140 lbs by myself one time and two guys can roll in a two hundred pounder without too much effort.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-11-2014

John Casey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I have owned boats without this ability, and I would not take crew that could not climb a ladder easily. It didn't make sense to me.
Good advice to follow i.e prevention/mitigate on the front end vs cure/solve at the wrong time.
Old 08-11-2014

krazzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
MOB. We are NOT going to introduce a PC acronym for a safety item. GPS units have MOB buttons.
+1 I clicked on this thread just to see what "COB" was.
GMFL likes this.

Old 08-11-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzz View Post
We usually just chuck ours in the woods off our deck when we're done eating the corn from'em. On the other hand, we'd NEVER chuck a MOB.

A serious question, as I'm still a long ways from being fully up to speed on sailing terminology. Does the word "crew" refer to any person aboard, or only someone who may assist with the actual sailing? Is a guest who's purely along for the ride and has no interest at all in handling anything still technically referred to as a "crew?" If not, then isn't "MOB" a better term in the first place.. unless we need to differentiate between the worth of a "COB" or a "GOB (Guest OverBoard)?"

The entire PC thing drives me nuts, too... AND my wife nuts. "Man" is just a word. Yes, it can be used to refer to the male gender of our species, i.e., "man and woman," but it also means our species in general, i.e., "mankind." If a dog fell overboard, wouldn't we just say "Dog Overboard?" We wouldn't say "Bitch Overboard" or "Stud Overboard," depending on gender, would we? Then why do we have to avoid using the word "man" when it refers to our species, not our gender? Let's go further... the word "woman" HAS the word "man" in it. We need to get rid of that, too. How about "wosapiens?"

Sheeeesh... I have a headache. I've got to go take some Advil to see if I can womanage the womangling it's doing to my brain before doing some peoplual labor today...

Love and snoodles,

Barry

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 08-11-2014

PDQ, thanks for the link to your write-up.

If a person just tripped and fell off they could use the swim ladder to get back up, so I'm mostly trying to figure out how I'd get an injured or weakened COB back on board.

The next thing I'm going to try is the boom vang. It's 4-to-1 so a 180 lb person is still going to need 45 lbs of pull, but that should be doable. I don't have a topping lift, so I'm thinking I'll run the main halyard around the boom where the vang attaches, then swing the boom out over the side and hoist away.

My vang is about three feet from the mast, which means it's about a foot in from the edge of the boat so it wouldn't be lifting the person straight out, it would kind of be dragging them over the edge.

I've thought about using the main sheet from the end of the boom, but I'm not sure my rig is made to hold that much weight that far out, and with only 550 lbs of keel I'm not sure I want 180 lbs hanging on a 10' lever.

I should probably pick up a Lifesling.

I'm chartering a 39' Beneteau in Septemeber, I'll try the elevator method on that and see if it works better. I'm thinking it might work better with the larger, flatter hull.
Old 08-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzz View Post
Oh jeeebus...... You people.

"Whaaaa, boo hoo, change is hard! Whaaaaaaaa!"

"Crew" is just as fast and easy to say as "man" and is equally unmistakable. One syllable folks, one syllable. Is anyone really going to be confused if they hear someone yell "crew overboard!"?

I have the most recent edition of Annapolis. If you look up "man overboard" in the index is says "see crew overboard."
Old 08-11-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Oh jeeebus...... You people.

"Whaaaa, boo hoo, change is hard! Whaaaaaaaa!"

"Crew" is just as fast and easy to say as "man" and is equally unmistakable. One syllable folks, one syllable. Is anyone really going to be confused if they hear someone yell "crew overboard!"?

I have the most recent edition of Annapolis. If you look up "man overboard" in the index is says "see crew overboard."
Point taken. Mostly, I was just poking fun at the whole thing, not railing against it. I still think it's absurd that we spend so much time these days policing relatively harmless linguistic idiosyncrasies.. that's all. On the other hand, my question still stands... does the word "crew" refer to ANY soul on board including passengers not involved in handling the vessel in any way? If not, then why do we often hear the phrase "passengers and crew?" If they are different, do we need the term "POB" in addition to "COB?" I know.. stupid. That's kind of my point about the whole thing. Too much energy expended on something that's not really a problem in the first place.

Change ain't hard, either.. I just don't do it for the sake of change. To solve a problem or improve a situation, change is wonderful. However, expending energy to change something that DOES work well or that "ain't broke" when that energy could better be spent elsewhere goes against my nature.

Leaving that whole issue aside, I DO thank you for starting this thread. The whole recovery issue has been on my mind lately, and I, too, am about to purchase a LifeSling to be used in conjunction with a quick-disconnect block and tackle boom vang attached to a halyard in emergencies. Thanks for the information.. much appreciated.

Best to ya,

Barry

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

Last edited by bblument; 08-11-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2014

The sailing club I'm uses Person Overboard and POB as their official terms in the instructors manual. I find that a bit clunky. But the club also uses "sidestay" instead of "shroud" so what the hell do they know?

John Rousmaniere uses COB, so that's good enough for me. I don't find saying "crew" any clunkier than "man" and everybody knows what you mean.

I also say "firefighter" instead of "fireman." I know a couple chick firefighters who much prefer the term, and even guys prefer it because "fighter" sounds more bad ass. If it's not any more work and if the usage isn't clunky, why not go with the gender-neutral term? I don't see any point sticking with old terms out of some sort of misplaced sense of tradition.

Anyway.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
a LifeSling to be used in conjunction with a quick-disconnect block and tackle boom vang
Yes!

If I find the vang tackle makes a good recovery system I'll need to get some sort of quick release mechanism. On Saturday I used the vang tackle to lift a battery out (very slick) and it was kind of a pain to disconnect it from the base of the mast.