SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Bad compass? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/157985-bad-compass.html)

motogon 08-06-2014 08:20 AM

Bad compass?
 
I recently bought online Danforth compass. It's used but looks great ... only one problem: it doesn't work. I show North everywhere ... or West everywhere. Is anything could be done to fix it?
There is liquid inside, no bubbles. I tried to take it out off boat, no luck, still not working.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-3709316..._2270_20904543

Thanks,

Andrew

beachmont 08-06-2014 09:03 AM

Bad compass?
 
I hate to ask this but are you sure there is nothing near it that would foul it ?? Metal , magnetic , electric , ? There are more often than not adjustment screws to correct deviation but it sounds more like something in it's area

killarney_sailor 08-06-2014 09:10 AM

Re: Bad compass?
 
What do you mean, "North everywhere"? If you turn the compass the card should stay stationary. It will always point to magnetic north. The casing and the boat move but the card doesn't (or shouldn't).

motogon 08-06-2014 09:15 AM

Re: Bad compass?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beachmont (Post 2073289)
I hate to ask this but are you sure there is nothing near it that would foul it ?? Metal , magnetic , electric , ? There are more often than not adjustment screws to correct deviation but it sounds more like something in it's area

As I stated before: I took compass off the boat, walk on marina deck with it in hands - same problem, it reads North almost every direction. If I turn to South it reads West.

motogon 08-06-2014 09:17 AM

Re: Bad compass?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 2073337)
What do you mean, "North everywhere"? If you turn the compass the card should stay stationary. It will always point to magnetic north. The casing and the boat move but the card doesn't (or shouldn't).

Yes, it should but it doesn't.

Delta-T 08-06-2014 09:37 AM

Re: Bad compass?
 
You got you phone in your other hand? Does your phone have a magnetic cover? Ipad with magnetic cover?

svHyLyte 08-06-2014 09:51 AM

Re: Bad compass?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by motogon (Post 2073377)
As I stated before: I took compass off the boat, walk on marina deck with it in hands - same problem, it reads North almost every direction. If I turn to South it reads West.

Ah... What are you wearing? A fellow I know swore by the benefit of a magnetic bracelet to relieve his arthritis but always complained that his "lousy" compass always "thought" north was to his left, regardless of what direction he was facing. Keeping him away from the binnacle solved the problem.

motogon 08-06-2014 10:09 AM

Re: Bad compass?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta-T (Post 2073441)
You got you phone in your other hand? Does your phone have a magnetic cover? Ipad with magnetic cover?

Phone was in pocket. How far cell phone could affect compass?

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 2073465)
Ah... What are you wearing? A fellow I know swore by the benefit of a magnetic bracelet to relieve his arthritis but always complained that his "lousy" compass always "thought" north was to his left, regardless of what direction he was facing. Keeping him away from the binnacle solved the problem.

I'm simple man - no bracelets, not even watch.

nolatom 08-06-2014 10:29 AM

Re: Bad compass?
 
Well, if at arm's length with you naked and no electric wires or iron ore deposits nearby, and it still "does it"?

I would guess a loose or broken magnet in the compass?

socal c25 08-06-2014 10:38 AM

Re: Bad compass?
 
The jewel is stuck maybe from shipping, turn it upside down and bump it a few times to dislodge the card from the jewel.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012