Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2014

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Charting a Course

I am a confused as to how a chart plotter works.

Say I am in Hawaii and want to sail the great circle (shortest path) to Cape Horn. If I zoom out on my chart plotter where I can see both Hawaii (my location) and Cape Horn and point the boat in that direction, I will see a line from Hawaii to Cape Horn.

If I follow thin line is that the great circle route?

Similar situation, if you have a large scale chart of the pacific, and it shows Hawaii and Cape Horn- how do you determine the great circle route? I do not think if you draw a line between the two, and find the compass heading from the start location (Hawaii), that it will be the great circle route- but I might be wrong.

Seems you need to use a globe when navigating long distances.

Last edited by casey1999; 09-03-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Charting a Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I am a confused as to how a chart plotter works.

Say I am in Hawaii and want to sail the great circle (shortest path) to Cape Horn. If I zoom out on my chart plotter where I can see both Hawaii (my location) and Cape Horn and point the boat in that direction, I will see a line from Hawaii to Cape Horn.

If I follow thin line is that the great circle route?
Depends on your plotter and plotter setup.
on my Furuno NN3D this is an configuration option I can set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Similar situation, if you have a large scale chart of the pacific, and it shows Hawaii and Cape Horn- how do you determine the great circle route? I do not think if you draw a line between the two, and find the compass heading from the start location (Hawaii), that it will be the great circle route- but I might be wrong.

Seems you need to use a globe when navigating long distances.
There are formulas you can use if you know the lat/lon of the starting position.
Formula for distance and courses to steer.

If you sail true north /south or east/west on the equator you can steer one course all the time.

In your example, you must calculate a staring course and all the intermediate courses.
In other words to sail a great circle we normally do it in a lot of "straight line segments"
This is a fun website Great Circle Mapper
miatapaul, casey1999 and paikea like this.
Old 09-03-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Well chart plotting is generally not going to be a single plot half way across the earth. Obviously there are obstacles and likely stops you want to make in between. Chart plotters will not show anything useful zoomed out to show the whole Pacific and Indian Oceans, if they will even zoom out that much. Great Circle routing is generally done for aviation navigation as they are not worried about most islands getting in the way, and then you have to take jet stream into consideration. But for nautical navigation it is more of a vague notion, not a single plot. You will veer due to currents, and prevailing winds. You rarely worry about the "shortest distance" especially in a sailboat. A globe is good at getting an idea of what you might want to see along the way, but won't give much else useful.

While you can use a chart plotter to see your progress on such a trip, they are more useful in more confined waters, and making sure you are on the general path to get where you want. You can zoom in to see reefs and rocks when you are near land.

Other than that I am not sure what you are looking to accomplish. Yes you can draw a line on a globe to give you general distances. There are web sites to help with the calculations (Marine Great Circle Navigation Calculator is one) as they can get pretty complicated when trying to get a distance along a path on a sphere. (You should see the math wars that go on on geodesic dome forums!) But those are not anything more than general guides and will not even give an accurate path you will actual be sailing.

Oh and by the way those cheap (dollar store) beach ball globes are really not recommended for navigation! :-) And really not good to use pins on them either! ;-) Actually I had one that was funny it had wrong continents, let alone countries.

Actually giving it some more thought, using a chart plotter, or even a large scale chart and drawing a line from HI to the tip of Cape Horn is kind of like me grabbing a map of the mainland and using a ruler to draw a line from New York City to San Francisco, saying that is how I am going to drive from one city to another.
MarkofSeaLife and paikea like this.

Last edited by miatapaul; 09-03-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Great Circle routing is generally done for aviation navigation as they are not worried about most islands getting in the way, and then you have to take jet stream into consideration. But for nautical navigation it is more of a vague notion, not a single plot. You will veer due to currents, and prevailing winds. You rarely worry about the "shortest distance" especially in a sailboat.
Think I must get my school money refunded..
Part of the curriculum was great circle calculations using a calculator with trigonometric functions. (there are formulas that can calculate great circle using a "standard" calculator)

The equivalent of jet stream on the sea is called trade winds.
For ocean crossings it's quiet common to navigate into a favorable trade wind. No one will prevent you from steering the direct course but great circle can shorten the distance sailed.

I a merchant skipper ignored wind, currents and great circle he/she would quickly loose the job as these are factors that affect time & cost.
Old 09-03-2014

Ok, I am learning. One thing I learned if I do follow the great circle route from Hawaii to Cape Horn my compass heading will change along the way, otherwise I would be following the Rhumb Line which would spiral me to the pole.

I found this interesting site,
Mapping and Distance Tools
however I cannot get the cursor to work on the map. Would be cool to be able to "click and plot"

Edit- I got the above link to work by typing in the city (it will show on the map) then typed cape horn, it also shows, then cursor to Honolulu and cape horn and click these then map the route- takes some playing to get the thing to plot the great circle but it did finally work

As far as I know, there is nothing between Hawaii and Cape Horn, only water.

Last edited by casey1999; 09-03-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Oh and by the way those cheap (dollar store) beach ball globes are really not recommended for navigation! :-) .
What the heck is that beach ball globe doing on the deck of Jessicas boat- Navigational purposes maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Charting a Course-watson.jpg  

Last edited by casey1999; 09-03-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Think I must get my school money refunded..
Part of the curriculum was great circle calculations using a calculator with trigonometric functions. (there are formulas that can calculate great circle using a "standard" calculator)

The equivalent of jet stream on the sea is called trade winds.
For ocean crossings it's quiet common to navigate into a favorable trade wind. No one will prevent you from steering the direct course but great circle can shorten the distance sailed.

I a merchant skipper ignored wind, currents and great circle he/she would quickly loose the job as these are factors that affect time & cost.
That was my point, as to the great circle not being close to an actual plot. You will want to consider the currents and trade winds. (actually the jet stream plays a role as well as it can push the trades around)

As to the calculations, it really depends on the accuracy you need. Geodesic Dome makers tend to fall into "close enough" and "it has to be exact" camps. I never really followed the nerdism as I did not really care, just wanted a structure to stand and be roundish. Not sure what Buckminster Fuller would think. But there was allways someone saying that they were figureing it all out wrong, and it has been 30 years since I took Trigonometry and Calculus so I have likely forgotten most of what I did know. And I don't use it in my line of work, so it has trickled out of my mind. I was very close to building a Geodesic Dome Home, then almost bought one, and decided against owning a dirt home. This was back in 2004, and given what happened to real estate prices it was a good choice.
Old 09-03-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

knuterikt and paikea like this.
Old 09-08-2014

FWIW,
Found this on another forum:
GPS - great circle or rhumb

I am going to experiment with my chart plotter as the above suggest and then set course for Cape Horn.
Old 09-08-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

If you took a "dumb" chart plotter and said "OK, go to China" and it gave you a dumbline pointing straight to China...Wouldn't that become a rhumb line course, as the plotter kept refreshing the destination and giving you a corrected course every minute or so?

Or are they dumb enough to take a destination, plot a route, and then not update it constantly?

That is, at any given point and time, would "this minute's" course be the same?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.